Getting Older - What Bike Next? - Page 7 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Ray, any updated thoughts on that “super Fast” red Honda ? Likes,,, dislikes ?
Yes in fact it's getting better... I just got back from EOM in NC and had a hoot with how it handles and the smooth power. Will have to post up some pics of the latest mods in my quest to make it FJR comfortable. Custom Terry Adcox seat coming in March.
As for the chain drive, with O-ring chains these days, once you stumble on the right chain lube, it's a piece of cake.

The R1200RS is a cool bike, that's what Petey rode as he was getting older and wanted a lighter bike..... and he could ride like the wind.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:32 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Yes in fact it's getting better... I just got back from EOM in NC and had a hoot with how it handles and the smooth power. Will have to post up some pics of the latest mods in my quest to make it FJR comfortable. Custom Terry Adcox seat coming in March.
As for the chain drive, with O-ring chains these days, once you stumble on the right chain lube, it's a piece of cake.

The R1200RS is a cool bike, that's what Petey rode as he was getting older and wanted a lighter bike..... and he could ride like the wind.
Ray, you should be a test mule. Assuming you have an o’ring chain, you should use no lube for the life of the chain and see how you chain performs and lasts. Clean it on a regular schedule and report your findings.

Alternatively, you could use only WD40.
post #63 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:53 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Make sure you splash that on the brake rotors too, it'll make the the brake pads last longer than your new life expectancy! LOL

Now for you newbies, this was in humor, no lubrication should ever come in contact with the rotor and pads, unless your on your last ride....... If so, keep the revs above 5 to 8k. JUST KIDDING again! I can't help myself.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c

post #64 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Ray, you should be a test mule. Assuming you have an o’ring chain, you should use no lube for the life of the chain and see how you chain performs and lasts. Clean it on a regular schedule and report your findings.

I already know the answer on WD40... my buddy used it and nothing else to clean his chain (even on his dirt bike). Still good after 25k miles and no adjustments required. Dunno about the dirt bike, I was surprised he didn't use a lube on it. There is merit to cleaning only, it would seem.
I shy away from it because of a test that showed it got past the o-rings, however not that bad. I am currently using Tirox on a recommendation from a friend.
Bike has 14k on it, original chain, owner lubed it all the time. Good condition, sprockets good....

Ray
post #65 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 07:50 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Today’s chains are amazingly good. My friend refused to do any chain maintenance on his CBR1000RR and his chain was lubed by this red stuff called rust. Don’t know why but he never had an issue. Funny he does keep the chain lubed on his Panigale that replaced the Honda. My ‘13 Multistrada has a chain and With a quick occasional clean and lube it has been hassle free.
post #66 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:42 AM
Farkle Trainee

I think I adjusted the chain on my former N1K once in 11k miles. Cleaned/lubed it a couple times a year, that was it.
post #67 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:48 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoat View Post
I too decided that it was time for a lighter bike last December (18'). Loved my 03', 05', 09' and 14' FJR's. I wanted something not only lighter, but a bit more nimble, shaft drive, and still have some decent touring capabilities. When it was all said and done only one bike checked all the boxes for me. I found a pristine, low mileage, 2016 BMW R1200RS and traded in my beloved 14' FJR towards the purchase price from my local dealer. Having owned a 2012 R1200RT, I was well aware of what I was getting into. 10 months later I still feel like I made the right decision for me. Hope you find your "perfect" bike. At 68 I'm not saying this will be my last bike, but very content for now.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/mo...le-motorcycles
To me, the BMW 1250RS is a near perfect solution- love the looks performance, weight, etc. But, it also clearly isn't a 2-up bike.

And frankly, I can't compensate for their asking price knowing a Ninja 1000 can do the same business for so much less.

Lastly, the limited reports BMW allows about their products reliability is also concerning; so many individual reports of failures w/BMW bikes in general. I'd sure like to try one though!
Lee
post #68 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I already know the answer on WD40... my buddy used it and nothing else to clean his chain (even on his dirt bike). Still good after 25k miles and no adjustments required. Dunno about the dirt bike, I was surprised he didn't use a lube on it. There is merit to cleaning only, it would seem.
I shy away from it because of a test that showed it got past the o-rings, however not that bad. I am currently using Tirox on a recommendation from a friend.
Bike has 14k on it, original chain, owner lubed it all the time. Good condition, sprockets good....
Annie uses Tirox on her F800GS. I am having her cut way down on how much she applies and how often. It does not seem to attract dirt as much as most lubes do. I clean the chain with WD40 using a sacrificial rag moistened with the WD40. Not much chance of any getting by an o'ring.
RaYzerman likes this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #69 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

I am finding the same thing, cut down on the Tirox chain wax. I used their cleaner with their spiral brush, but a good wipe with a moistened rag I agree is the way to go.

Ray
post #70 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:36 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I use Dupont Chain Saver and less is better.

I had a R1200 RS and it was a nightmare. Transmission had issues and dealer and BMW refused to do anything but deny deny deny. Was a nice bike on paper but not one of my favorites. The Ninja is a nice bike and the bags are amazingly large. If you can deal with the seat height Multistrada are nice too. A bit more effort to climb on and off but worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by Donk; 10-05-2019 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Grammar and unfinished

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page