Getting Older - What Bike Next? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

I can only speculate the bike never made it there for emissions reasons, but hmmm, the Fireblade 1000/919, et al, did. The PO was told, doesn't matter what mod you do, you ain't importing it, no way... so now I have it. He had to sell because of moving to PA, and had no Canajan address to "keep it here".
Neal, I lusted lots after a 919 back in the day, very kool. I also had an older tech CB750 I always wanted (toy only, need real brakes, etc.)... the CBF just moved things along to a lightweight sport touring type, have been lusting after this for a few years too. The CBF just runs like a Swiss watch. It's a Fireblade engine with different cams/torque profile/less sporty. The CBF600 was almost identical, Honda came up with a new rad/engine mount up front which let them drop the liter engine in.
NealC likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Farkle Trainee

Yes, we miss out on a lot of bikes due to the "DUAL" conforming required to sell in US.

I do have to disagree with the PO of your CBF1000A on getting it registered in the US, there is always a way. You just need to weigh in the cost and time factor. And you may have to deal with it on a yearly basis if your state requires inspections.

It can be a "gray" area of compliance, and sometimes takes registering in different states, then selling to yourself. Maybe using some "museum piece" loopholes. Not that I would ever engage in something as nefarious as that, I've just heard stories
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:30 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Yes, we miss out on a lot of bikes due to the "DUAL" conforming required to sell in US.

I do have to disagree with the PO of your CBF1000A on getting it registered in the US, there is always a way. You just need to weigh in the cost and time factor. And you may have to deal with it on a yearly basis if your state requires inspections.

It can be a "gray" area of compliance, and sometimes takes registering in different states, then selling to yourself. Maybe using some "museum piece" loopholes. Not that I would ever engage in something as nefarious as that, I've just heard stories
I have a SS250 Harley Davidson 2 stroke I want to import from the UK, and this thread makes me wonder what problems I might have.

2016A, V-Strom DL1000, R1, R6, SV650 x 2, SS250HD

post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

they don't make a "next" bike for me. The honda ctx1300 came close, if it had an auto, a retractable windscreen and shed a couple of pounds, it would have been perfect for me. There are some nice ones out there.... but I am having a hard enough time swinging my bum leg over an fjr, and anything sort of interesting is too high on the passenger seat.
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjroddy View Post
they don't make a "next" bike for me. The honda ctx1300 came close, if it had an auto, a retractable windscreen and shed a couple of pounds, it would have been perfect for me. There are some nice ones out there.... but I am having a hard enough time swinging my bum leg over an fjr, and anything sort of interesting is too high on the passenger seat.
Talking to a Suzuki dealer yesterday, he informed me that they are expecting new 650 Burgmans soon, with the usual; Auto, Electric mirrors and windscreen, lots of storage, lots of power, great balance, low seating, heated grips and seat,good ergonomics and most importantly a "step through mounting" " no more pain and worry about hip cramps and dropping a bike. Yes it's a "scooter", but a VERY GOOD one, and it's a scooter only by some lame and general definition;
scoot·er
/ˈsko͞odər/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a light two-wheeled open motor vehicle on which the driver sits over an enclosed engine with legs together and feet resting on a floorboard.

Last edited by Damir; 08-30-2019 at 12:42 PM.
post #16 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:23 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoynes View Post
I have a SS250 Harley Davidson 2 stroke I want to import from the UK, and this thread makes me wonder what problems I might have.
Not to hi-jack the thread, but here is some direction......

It really depends on a number of factors. The state you are importing it into, age of bike, and possibly what type of exceptions they will allow for that type of vehicle (Antique status?). The ability to get insurance plays a part as well. That should be your first check.

I'm assuming this is one of the "Aermacchi Harley" Italian built models from the 70's during the AMF ownership? If so, I would suggest joining some of the vintage bike forums out there. Lots of posts and information on obtaining titles for old bikes that have no/improper paperwork. This is a pretty common problem in the vintage bike collecting world. I've seen bare frames go for more than complete bikes, just because they have a clear title to go with them.
bjoynes likes this.
post #17 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Neal, taking a bike across the border requires pre-applying to get it there before you go, gotta get past the feds first.... both ways.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #18 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 04:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

The only part that cannot be by-passed is the import/export duties. You are going to pay those. No escaping death or taxes. But are you importing a motor vehicle? Or importing used vintage motorcycle parts? You a Johnny Cash fan?
post #19 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 06:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Talking to a Suzuki dealer yesterday, he informed me that they are expecting new 650 Burgmans soon, with the usual; Auto, Electric mirrors and windscreen, lots of storage, lots of power, great balance, low seating, heated grips and seat,good ergonomics and most importantly a "step through mounting" " no more pain and worry about hip cramps and dropping a bike. Yes it's a "scooter", but a VERY GOOD one, and it's a scooter only by some lame and general definition;
scoot·er
/ˈsko͞odər/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a light two-wheeled open motor vehicle on which the driver sits over an enclosed engine with legs together and feet resting on a floorboard.
While I have never driven a scooter, not sure I am ever going to. Tho, I did sit on a berg, and the yamaha t max is kind of attractive. If they could get them under 5 seconds 0 to 60 just maybe.
post #20 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 07:54 PM
FJR Top Gun

My wife bought a Yamaha 400 Majesty scooter a couple of years ago. I rode it a couple of times and it was so nice I bought one for myself. They really are very nice, very quick, and so easy to operate. Twist and go, and each hand controlled a brake. In my motorcycle boots it was hard to swing my leg through the tunnel without kicking it but it was easier than swinging the leg over without kicking 2 saddlebags lol. Got great gas mileage. The underseat storage was amazing. Handling was better than one would expect. The 650 Burgman is quite capable of criss country travel. They are not light however, and for some unexplained reason,at least for me, as good as they are,they are just not a motorcycle. Somehow they are different, and I like motorcycles more. She ended up selling hers and I ended up trading mine in for a quad with a snowplow to clear my driveway. Not saying I wont have another one someday though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page