Moms of Manchester NH broke my bike - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Unhappy Moms of Manchester NH broke my bike

Hello All,
My 2013 FJR with 17,350 miles went in for service August 8th for new tire mounting, brake pads, brake fluid. It started off with a delay they didn't have the brake pads in stock, the next call was to tell me that the front shock was leaking,I approved the additional repair, the next call was that they needed to replace all 6 bushings I approved (they needed to be ordered), the next call on 8/22 was to tell me that they broke the front shocks during reassembly, they were told by Yamaha that the part is no longer available, on 8/23 they offered me a Honda Goldwing and some other touring bike, they had a FJR but it's in California from a one way trip and it's going to be 5 weeks before they will get it back. Strange story,so I reserved a FJR on their web site for the middle of next week and it took my reservation. The service dealer is a Yamaha Dealer, I was told the service tech is a 5-star gold Yamaha tech. I called Yamaha customer service 800-962-7926 and talked with Raymond, He called the dealer while I was on hold, I was told that Yamaha is looking for the part and a full assembly. Has anyone had a similar service problem? Do I have any recourse? Do the front shocks leak after 17,000 miles? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My first question: "You need new brake pads after only 17000 miles?"

And, no, front shocks shouldn't leak after 17000 miles.
bounce, N4HHE, Redfish and 1 others like this.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My 2014 didnít have anything leaking at 85,000 miles of hard use.
N4HHE, Redfish, dcumpian and 1 others like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:19 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I had a long problem with Yamaha regarding a different part that shouldnít have failed. Took Yamaha months to get a replacement. Iíll bet your Raymond is the same one I talked to.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Yes, my rear pads were no longer holding, the front was ok, I guess I was riding the rear brake without knowing, I should install a light upfront when the brakes are active. I never noticed any leaking from the front shock. Thanks for the input.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Chocolate? 2%? Pasteurized? 'Cause it sounds like they're milking you for all you're worth!!
cra-z1, 2014oldred and Downsouth like this.

Russ
2007A

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:07 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Sorry to hear of your bad luck, and I hope they can get it sorted for you soon. I have to wonder though...how can a part no longer be available for a 2013??!
Redfish likes this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:00 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I wouldn't think a fork seal should leak at that mileage, however, if it was, and the fork oil ran down onto your brake pads, that would cause braking problems. I'm guessing they stripped the lower bolt in the aluminum valve in the bottom of the cartridge, and the only service part is a complete cartridge. They had to replace all the bushings because they get destroyed upon removal, which is about the only real way one can replace a fork seal.... unless you have a hydraulic press (fill forks, put them in the press, will push seals out).
Rear brake might have been because of a sticking rear pedal..... gotta lube that thing once in a while, very common problem.

Good on you for getting Yamaha involved.... and you don't have to tell me about Yamaha Certified mechanics, one totally ruined the engine on the bike that became my project bike... see that thread for details. Just because you can memorize a service manual and pass a test doesn't mean you're a mechanic.
bounce, SmashVol and passx like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I wouldn't think a fork seal should leak at that mileage, however, if it was, and the fork oil ran down onto your brake pads, that would cause braking problems. I'm guessing they stripped the lower bolt in the aluminum valve in the bottom of the cartridge, and the only service part is a complete cartridge. They had to replace all the bushings because they get destroyed upon removal, which is about the only real way one can replace a fork seal.... unless you have a hydraulic press (fill forks, put them in the press, will push seals out).
Rear brake might have been because of a sticking rear pedal..... gotta lube that thing once in a while, very common problem.

Good on you for getting Yamaha involved.... and you don't have to tell me about Yamaha Certified mechanics, one totally ruined the engine on the bike that became my project bike... see that thread for details. Just because you can memorize a service manual and pass a test doesn't mean you're a mechanic.

A "technician" is someone who can read a book and do what it says to do (maybe).

A "mechanic" understands the systems with which he works and uses logic/reason to first identify, then resolve problems.
CRBND8D, 2014oldred and Connector like this.

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

617boston, Sounds to me like someone at that dealership had a boat or Porsche payment due and was looking to you To make it. Me? I’d give them a very short amount of time to properly fix it ( heavy emphasis on the proper part) and then I would contact a proper lawyer and get very serious with them. No excuse for that bs !

I will add that for what they pay at a dealership for a mechanic you're going To get few that can chew gum and walk at the same time, there are a few that are good but **** few. Just calling them a mechanic/technician/clown/hammer tech/whatever doesn’t make them qualified to work on a fairly technical piece of equipment. Some have the heart to try to do it right but just lack the skills.

Sorry to be so negative but my experiences over my life have motivated me to learn and do all my own work. Now being older and doing some of this work has proven difficult for a very bad back to do, but a similar experience at the local Subaru dealer (Gurley-Leep,,, they suck) has prompted me to just work through the pain rather than face jail time for properly responding to this kind of service. My opinion,,,

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 08-26-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in