What colors can DEER not see - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

What colors can DEER not see

For all of you 2014 owners, you better install some blue Aux lights soon 🙂

As per Google;

Deer do not see well in the longer and middle wavelengths (oranges, greens, yellows, browns and reds) in the visible color spectrum. These colors appear in shades of gray or yellow. Where they see very well is in the low wavelengths — the BLUE range.

Deer eyes only have two photopigment types, giving them dichromatic color vision. Scientists believe that deer can primarily see short-wavelength blue light, and moderate-wavelength light that they probably perceive as something between red and green.

Deer are essentially red-green color blind like some humans. Their color vision is limited to the short [blue] and middle [green] wavelength colors. As a result, deer likely can distinguish blue from red, but not green from red, or orange from red."

The results showed that deer are red-green color blind. ... Deer also can see UV light in low light hours. It was suggested in the study that, during early morning or late evening, hunters wearing UV brightening fabric cleaners might actually glow blue to the eyes of the deer.

Deer sense colors toward the violet end of the spectrum, so they can see blues and probably even ultraviolet (UV) light. Deer show a slight sensitivity to yellow, but tests indicate that green, orange, and red appear to them as shades of gray. Exactly how well deer see UV light is debatable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:27 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My 2014 is root beer brown, so fast nothing can see it.... or put another way, how many have you actually seen?
However, this is good info, maybe you're onto something useful here. The next question is what shade of blue will LEO's allow to be facing forward, as most jurisdictions forbid a blue light (or blue as we think of it)..... Many LED's are bluish in the 6000K range but maybe not blue enough/too intense? Not sure. Maybe there's a certain shade of blue will be effective yet not draw attention from the LEO's.
Another thing we might do is research the actual use/value of deer, and maybe just open up the hunting rules.
I do know one thing, they do not obey the yellow deer crossing signs, they cross wherever they darn well feel like it. I think we should give them all safety vests so they don't blend in with the background.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

It seems the stock '17 ES headlights shine in somewhat GREEN spectrum, yes as Ray mentioned BLUE lights not allowed in Canada, maybe some LEDs shine in a blue spectrum? But ultimately I would like to install some serious "deer ears exclusive ultrafrequency, ultrasound or whatever device" when deer can hear me coming from miles away. If somebody can quickly invent that, and mosquito repellent at the same time, it will be greatly appreciated 😛

P.S. send me samples to test, there is a deer farm near my place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190706_233241_1566432405056.jpg (371.4 KB, 9 views)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Been talked about many times.. consensus seems to be deer devices don't really work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature
https://www.mediacollege.com/lightin...mperature.html

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page