Helmet manufacture date - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:20 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Even though I rotate them, I rarely had a primary helmet that was still my primary at 5 years. They get a lot of riding time. For a long time, Nolan modulars were my go-to helmets. I’d always buy another a couple or three years in. Now that my primary is a Neotec 2 (different but equal, quality wise), and over $200 more expensive, I may wait longer to put this one on backup status. My Quest has a manufacture date of 11/2016, which was around the time I bought it from revzilla. With a non-replaceable liner and somewhat lower quality lining than my higher end Nolan/Shoei helmets, I don’t expect it to last as long. I never wore it much anyway. It’s hard for me to reach past top of the line modulars for a full face, anyway.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 07-28-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have worn nothing but Shoei for several years now. I do replace the padding every couple of years mostly because if just loosens up too much. I知 not a believer that the hard outer shell deteriorates in our lifetime, but I do get a new helmet every 4-5 years. I get one about the second time the padding and shields need replacing. At that point I知 spending nearly half the cost of a complete new helmet anyway.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:04 PM
Farkle Trainee

Are you someone who leaves their helmet on the bike sitting in the sun, or on the tank? The fumes from the fuel will break down the comfort and protection foam. I live in Houston and see people leave their helmet on the seat all day while at work. I just don't understand that practice.

Blchandl2
'15 FJR1300 (Primer)
PEACE, Something to shoot for.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:53 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

To add to the above comment, where you store the lid could make a difference. My last house had a detached and unfinished garage. It was as cold as ambient during the winter but easily 115+ in the summer's.

I used to store my lid in the garage and have learned to just bring them inside.

2015 FJR1300A
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:24 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Exactly. Mine is always in a climate controlled environment if I知 not using it. It kills me when I see folks set their helmet on the ground. But I知 OCD like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blchandl2 View Post
Are you someone who leaves their helmet on the bike sitting in the sun, or on the tank? The fumes from the fuel will break down the comfort and protection foam. I live in Houston and see people leave their helmet on the seat all day while at work. I just don't understand that practice.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 08:25 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by blchandl2 View Post
I agree sunlight and heat is bad but no gasoline fumes should be coming out of a gas cap from the past 25 years. Open the FJR gas cap and you can see a separate grommet and pipe beside the big hole to vent gasses if the pressure valve in the gas cap blows. There are two hoses to the FJR gas tank, one is liquid, the other is gas vent. This vent exits near the swingarm pivot in non-CARB models. So don't put your helmet under your FJR when parked.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 08:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RERJr View Post
Mine came from Revzilla. I was hoping someone would open the door. Don’t get me wrong, I love Revzilla and I’ll be shopping there for my next helmet (soon).

Thanks for all the replies and I am looking at a Schuberth.
My Neotec also came from Revzilla manufactured 4 years before I bought it. It was a year or two before the Neotec II came out, before any discounting. I also like Revzilla and I had called them after I received the helmet, they offered to replace it, I'll give them that. But I needed a helmet for an upcoming ride at the time, so I sucked it up. It is still an excellent helmet. I just couldn't figure how a place like that, that moves so much product, could have a hot selling helmet for 4 years before selling it. Unless it was on the showroom floor as a demo. But I had carefully inspected it's packaging and wrapping and it was factory fresh (4 years prior), I was the first opening it.

- Jim,
AMA and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:42 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
It is still an excellent helmet. I just couldn't figure how a place like that, that moves so much product, could have a hot selling helmet for 4 years before selling it. Unless it was on the showroom floor as a demo. But I had carefully inspected it's packaging and wrapping and it was factory fresh (4 years prior), I was the first opening it.
I doubt Revzilla/Cycle Gear had the helmet in their warehouses for 4 years. Expect came recently from a Shoei warehouse.

In years prior to Amazon several were doing similar things with mail order warehousing in for-hire keeping manufacturer's inventory but direct shipping from that inventory with any one of many vendor brands. I have ordered hard drives from one vendor then received package with my product but some other brand and order's invoice enclosed.

Am saying it is likely Shoei USA stocks inventory at one or more warehouses which have Revzilla boxes. If your helmet was ordered from Revzilla then you get a Revzilla box. If from Rocky Mountain then a Rocky Mountain box. Or 2Wheel. Or whatever.

For all we know Shoei uses Amazon for warehouse services.

I'm not one to worry about a helmet or tire stored for 4 years in a climate controlled warehouse.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page