Earplugs for motorcycle riding - Page 8 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 02:35 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

When I'm not wearing ear buds I wear dB Blockers from Custom Protect Ear.

https://www.protectear.com/products/db-blocker/

Zwartie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I've tried various kinds and prefer the disposable foam earplugs. Just ordered a new batch from amazon. I never wear them more than 1 day before disposal, and often change them after lunch.

Mpow 055A Ear Plugs 60 Pairs, Super Soft Foam Ear Plugs 34dB SNR, Noise Reduction Hearing Protector, with Aluminum Carry Case
post #73 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:41 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Until I got my Sena head set I preferred the same ear plugs we use at work. The 3M classic plugs that expand. With my mild hearing loss and the ambient noise makes it difficult to hear my communication system. After trying different solutions I find the No Noise motorsport plugs and the Big Ear custom plugs do the job.The Big Ear plugs have the advantage as far as comfort and ease of removal. I bought them at a motorcycle show and they were made to fit in 45 min.

Cheers Derrick

Cheers Derrick

2018 FJR 1300A
2001 VFR 137k km to be sold
1996 Yamaha Seca 2 600

post #74 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:17 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwartie View Post
When I'm not wearing ear buds I wear dB Blockers from Custom Protect Ear.

https://www.protectear.com/products/db-blocker/

Zwartie
And which version do you use? These look promising, when I wear the 33db foam plugs that I like, I can barely hear my helmet speakers when they are turned all the way up. I've gotten used to it. It seems anything less than 30db for wind noise really annoys me, 6'4", even still but less, when the screen is all the way up. On those charts that protectear has, the lower freq are allowed and the higher are blocked, which I'm wondering if it is better for me. I guess the only way to find out is to take the plunge.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #75 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:54 PM
FJR Top Gun

Go to Walmart and buy one each of every set of earplugs they offer in the Sporting Goods (gun) department and the pharmacy. Less than $3 each for 4 or 5 pairs. Try them all, that is the only way you will know what you like is by trying some you don't like.

I like the purple ones from the pharmacy. -31 dBA.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #76 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:18 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I can tell you what earplugs not to buy. No noice ear plugs. Decided to buy some motorcycle specific ear plugs. I choose these expensive no noise plugs that came in a cool little cylinder with a twist off cap. On a 400 mile trip these plugs became imbedded in my ear canals. It was 100 degrees outside and I was on the side of the road looking in the FJR mirrors with needle nose pliers tearing out these ear plugs piece by piece. Would of helped if these earplugs had a way for sweaty hands to pull them out. Maybe even a string like a tampon.

So now when I buy ear plugs I think about how I'm gonna take them out before I buy.
jblanken64 and rbentnail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007 FJR 1300A, 2014 FZ09, did not ride since 1992 after wrecking 1984 Seca 550, low sided 1984 RZ 350, 1983 550 Maximum
post #77 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:56 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffySmith View Post
I can tell you what earplugs not to buy. No noice ear plugs. Decided to buy some motorcycle specific ear plugs. I choose these expensive no noise plugs that came in a cool little cylinder with a twist off cap. On a 400 mile trip these plugs became imbedded in my ear canals. It was 100 degrees outside and I was on the side of the road looking in the FJR mirrors with needle nose pliers tearing out these ear plugs piece by piece. Would of helped if these earplugs had a way for sweaty hands to pull them out. Maybe even a string like a tampon.

So now when I buy ear plugs I think about how I'm gonna take them out before I buy.
I have a pair of those. $25-$30 on Amazon. Yes, easy to get pushed too far in and if not inserted far enough my right ear doesn't seal. I hear it open when I turn my head.

And yes, I keep needlenose pliers in my Givi to pull the plug out when it goes too deep. Had plenty of practice. It needs a lanyard. They seem to filter wind noise and I can hear conversation better with them in than at least one I know can hear at all.

About -24 dBA vs the cheap purple disposable Walmart plugs at -31 dBA. The purple ones loose their attenuation after a number of uses. Run them through the washing machine and looses even more.
SnuffySmith likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #78 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 07:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
I have a pair of those. $25-$30 on Amazon. Yes, easy to get pushed too far in and if not inserted far enough my right ear doesn't seal. I hear it open when I turn my head.

And yes, I keep needlenose pliers in my Givi to pull the plug out when it goes too deep. Had plenty of practice. It needs a lanyard. They seem to filter wind noise and I can hear conversation better with them in than at least one I know can hear at all.

About -24 dBA vs the cheap purple disposable Walmart plugs at -31 dBA. The purple ones loose their attenuation after a number of uses. Run them through the washing machine and looses even more.

There is a little tab on the plugs. This must be oriented to top. The tab is easy to get with your thumb as long as itís oriented correctly. DAMHIK.

These plugs are comfortable all day and forget there in there. The foam ones make me feel like my heads gonna explode after a couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #79 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:55 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
There is a little tab on the plugs. This must be oriented to top. The tab is easy to get with your thumb as long as itís oriented correctly. DAMHIK.
I donít see any tab, just a hollow stem out of the center. A tuned orifice inside passes sound down from the hollow stem for conversation.

If the stem was even 1/4Ē longer it would be easier to extract when the body goes deep in the ear canal. Typing a lanyard around the stem would crush the hollow passage negating the advantage of these expensive earplugs.

Quote:
These plugs are comfortable all day and forget there in there. The foam ones make me feel like my heads gonna explode after a couple of hours.
Agree, they are comfortable.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #80 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 10:46 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I believe mine are the standard vented dB Blockers. The filter inside is green, not sure what dB rating that is. I got them back in 2013 so I'm afraid I don't have much more info than that. If you contact a local sales representative they should be able to help you out. They should be able to provide a few different filters for you to try as they're interchangeable.

Zwartie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
And which version do you use? These look promising, when I wear the 33db foam plugs that I like, I can barely hear my helmet speakers when they are turned all the way up. I've gotten used to it. It seems anything less than 30db for wind noise really annoys me, 6'4", even still but less, when the screen is all the way up. On those charts that protectear has, the lower freq are allowed and the higher are blocked, which I'm wondering if it is better for me. I guess the only way to find out is to take the plunge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page