Earplugs for motorcycle riding - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:41 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Just picked up the Jabra Elite 65e noise cancelling Bluetooth headphones, and I was very impressed. Obviously not an earplug, but they comfortably fit under my helmet and the sound quality was amazing. Not to mention the fact that you can listen to podcasts or music through your phone on longer trips. You could buy a lifetime supply of earplugs for the $190.00 you pay for them though! The nice thing was that they send 3 sizes of earpieces and molds to ensure a snug fit.

I wanna go fast!!!! - Ricky Bobby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

Funny ear plugs story... Riding today I was wearing my gel plugs. First off while geared up and walking to the bike I could feel my footsteps thud through my body. That was weird. About 2 hours into the ride I stopped to eat 1/2 turkey sandwich I had packed in my tank bag and drink a little water. Just pulled over into a shady spot on the edge of a gas station, sat on my seat sideways, flipped my modular shield up and started eating. Chewing and swallowing is an extraordinarily weird sound when your ears are plugged. An hour later I went to pass a slow moving car, signaled I was pulling out, pulled forward, tapped the horn button twice to let the driver know I was passing and ..rats my horn quit working. Finished my pass signaled and pulled back in. Got to thinking about the horn. Bent over right above the tank and hit the horn button again .. greeted with real muted meep meep. It was working, just couldn't hear it with the ear plugs in. I'd say the ear plugs were working too well lol.
N4HHE likes this.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:45 PM
Training wheels fitted!

For years I have used custom molded ear buds and recently picked up some s-plugs. With either I have found that if I apply a light coating of triple protection antibiotic ointment to ear canal and/or earbud before inserting them it also acts like lube and provides all day comfort.
YodiYami likes this.

'12 FJR1300a (unnamed)
'97 ST ABS (BigRed)
'86 Rebel 250 (LilBlu)
'09 Vulcan 500 (Artoo) - traded, for lack of use
'78 CB750K - my 1st "big bike", got sold to oldest brother, who eventually sold it youngest brother, then out of family.

post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
No earplugs + motorcycle riding = permanent hearing damage
This is exactly what I'm afraid of.

The story is not quite as you were told.
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
Ear peace.com

They have 3 different inserts for dB blockage.
Comfortable all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just checked the site. I think the ridges might scrape thru my ear canals but it's something I should look into. They have good reviews. Thanks!

post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfjr View Post
+ for ear peace. Tried many and these are my favourite. I have tinnitus as well and I won't ride without plugs.
We badly need earplugs. My condition is mild but I don't like hearing buzzes after every ride.

post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I always wear earplugs. Regular foam plugs perform the best. I tried ear peace. They were a joke. Tried eargasm. Same. Simply not effective at blocking noise compared to foam. Far better than nothing, though. No helmet is quiet enough to negate the need for plugs. That said, poorly designed helmets are easily noisy enough to overcome the attenuation even effective plugs provide.
But foam plugs doesn't work for me. Even the noise reduction/cancelling helmets doesn't really work that great. I have a Sena Momentum that cost $500 and it makes a little difference. It has great intercom and bluetooth functions though.

post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer_frank View Post
Tried ear peace, never used them on the bike again (N.R.R. is low 20's db iirc). I prefer "laser lite", you can usually get a whole container of them at your local hardware store for cheap, and they're rated for 32 db reduction. They're also a pretty soft foam and less irritating than other plugs i've tried.
I might try this one.

post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
When I wear them, which is rare, (I know, I know).... I use silicone gel plugs like swimmers wear. The only thing I have found comfortable enough to wear for an extended period of time. Roll them into a ball and squish them in. Doesn't matter the size of your ear canal cause the gel molds to the size of the ear. Resuable over and over. Get them at Walgreens, Krogers in pharmacy dept, Walmart, CVS etc Tapered foam, barreled foam no matter who makes them, all give me an earache after an hour or so. The gel I can wear all day if I want to.
This one's promising. Thanks!

post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlson View Post
I've been using Howard Leight Laser Lite for years and now bough the box of Max Lite. Both are great and cheap if bought at bulk - think I paid less than $17 for 200 pairs of Max Lite. I use a little plastic clam shell case to carry them in my jacket pocket. If not dropped on the ground or handled with dirty hands they usually last me 2-3 days on a long ride, or a week of occasional around-town riding before replacing with fresh pair.
They're pretty cheap and might actually last a year. Hmmmm. Are they soft enough? I'm not sure if I already tried Laser Lite or Max Lite but they're pretty interesting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page