Earplugs for motorcycle riding - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:05 PM
doc
Farkle Trainee

My wife and I both use these: https://www.earmold.com.au/recreatio...eo-headset.htm

Plugged into our Scala rider systems. All the befits of earplugs, with the bonus of nice clear voice communication, soothing tunes, GPS directions etc etc direct to the ear. No cranking up the volume of the intercom to try and overcome a combination of wind noise and earplugs (which only gets worse as speed increases).

And the best part - no ringing in the ears due to hearing damage while trying to get to sleep after a long day in the saddle.
EmRach199 likes this.

Cheers,

Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I tried ear peace. They were a joke.
They were a joke to you.
EmRach199 likes this.

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
Gone 2016 Harley Davidson Fat Bob
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:27 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
My wife and I both use these: https://www.earmold.com.au/recreatio...eo-headset.htm

Plugged into our Scala rider systems. All the befits of earplugs, with the bonus of nice clear voice communication, soothing tunes, GPS directions etc etc direct to the ear. No cranking up the volume of the intercom to try and overcome a combination of wind noise and earplugs (which only gets worse as speed increases).

And the best part - no ringing in the ears due to hearing damage while trying to get to sleep after a long day in the saddle.
I use something similar in the US when touring on the FJR for same reasons, https://www.decibullz.com/ IEM Contour ES plugged into my Sena communicator. Common foam tips of varying sizes and density from a variety of vendors allow you to get a very comfortable fit after a little experimentation.

What do the Earmold ones look like on the ear side? There a "tip" inserted into your ear?

I use the Howard Leight Max Lite plugs when riding my other bikes solo locally. I like those rides to be just the sound of the motor without the wind aggravating my tinnitus. The only thing they don't block out are the voices in my head.
EmRach199 likes this.

post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:41 PM
doc
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I use something similar in the US when touring on the FJR for same reasons, https://www.decibullz.com/ IEM Contour ES plugged into my Sena communicator. Common foam tips of varying sizes and density from a variety of vendors allow you to get a very comfortable fit after a little experimentation.

What do the Earmold ones look like on the ear side? There a "tip" inserted into your ear?

I use the Howard Leight Max Lite plugs when riding my other bikes solo locally. I like those rides to be just the sound of the motor without the wind aggravating my tinnitus. The only thing they don't block out are the voices in my head.
They are a custom mould, so insert a small way into the ear canal. The depth is customised by the aural technician for fit and comfort when they are made. For example, I have ear canals that look like the Bat Cave. It’s been said that my earmolds are the size of chicken McNuggets My wife’s earmolds as a comparison, look almost like frozen green peas they’re so small. However both have been tested for noise reduction and provide equal protection - because they are custom made for our individual ear shapes and sizes.

Seeing the difference made me realise that “one size fits all” off-the-shelf earplugs are always going to be a compromise.
NealC and EmRach199 like this.

Cheers,

Anthony
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:31 PM
FJR Top Gun

Gun department at Walmart has good earplugs. Pharmacy has a bigger selection.
passx and EmRach199 like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
These are about the only ones that work for me, too. I don't know if I have Dr. Suess-type ear canals, but I can never get the foam-type or the soft plastic-type to fit very well, though I know I use the proper insertion process (pull on the top rear of the ear, etc.). The silicone gel mould to my ears, though, and stay in place when I pull my helmet on (another issue I struggle with w/ the foam type, when I manage to get them in fairly well). Only issue with these is that they're certainly more work to use, and I find myself only wearing them for longer rides, leaving my hearing generally unprotected for shorter and weekend rides (which is more than 9/10 of my riding). Like the OP, sure wish I could find a workable solution so I'd use them more regularly.
Just curious as to why you find these certainly more work to use? Roll them in a little round ball between your palms and squish them in with your thumb.... no reaching over with the off hand and pulling up and back on the top of the ear. no spitting on them and rolling them between fingers to get them pointed and then stuck in before they expand. What exactly are you having difficulty with?
EmRach199 likes this.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

I can't add to what has already been said, so will just add my vote to the importance of wearing earplugs. I wear plain old squishy foam earplugs - they work well and are disposable, and I have a free lifetime supply.

I use about four different kinds, mostly because the kind that reduce noise the most can get a bit uncomfortable after several hours - so I wear them for several hours, then wear a different kind (no pain, but slightly more noise) for awhile. If all or most of my ride will be at less than highway speeds (urban commuting, rural twisty's) then I wear a kind that doesn't dampen sound quite as much as the really-good-but-can-get-uncomfortable kind, because at lower speeds there is less white noise.

Experiment and decide what works best for you!
rbentnail likes this.

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:49 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sete Bond View Post
Experiment and decide what works best for you!
^^ This I can't agree with more. So many ears, so many types of attenuation. Just gotta experiment!
rtesta65 likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:07 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
These are about the only ones that work for me, too. I don't know if I have Dr. Suess-type ear canals, but I can never get the foam-type or the soft plastic-type to fit very well, though I know I use the proper insertion process (pull on the top rear of the ear, etc.). The silicone gel mould to my ears, though, and stay in place when I pull my helmet on (another issue I struggle with w/ the foam type, when I manage to get them in fairly well). Only issue with these is that they're certainly more work to use, and I find myself only wearing them for longer rides, leaving my hearing generally unprotected for shorter and weekend rides (which is more than 9/10 of my riding). Like the OP, sure wish I could find a workable solution so I'd use them more regularly.
Just curious as to why you find these certainly more work to use? Roll them in a little round ball between your palms and squish them in with your thumb.... no reaching over with the off hand and pulling up and back on the top of the ear. no spitting on them and rolling them between fingers to get them pointed and then stuck in before they expand. What exactly are you having difficulty with?
Just the time necessary for each. Foam: roll thinner, pull top of ear back, insert. Silicone: warm in hand to make more malleable, roll into a ball, press into ear canal and mould around all the creases and ridges around opening to seal tightly...that last step can be particularly time-consuming.

2016 FJR1300A
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
If I'm on the highway or riding on the streets faster than 40 mph, I wear these earplugs. Designed to let you hear conversations, music, fire trucks but stop the wind noise that causes hearing loss.

I have several seats for my two motorbikes:

NoNoise Motorsport Hearing Protection

https://www.nonoise-earplugs.com/en/...ts/motorsport/

Soft silicon to fit most ear sizes.
RERJr and peterlar like this.

2005 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page