Inexpensive, easy to use camera, for trips. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Inexpensive, easy to use camera, for trips.

Not being a photographer, PERIOD, I have felt very grateful that my phone had a camera and it truly fulfilled my needs.

BUT, lately I see these awesome pics online, and keep hearing people say. Wow, what camera do you use?

Even a putz like me can see the difference. {I am NOT going to get an Iphone by the way}.

SO, I would like to know if there is a CHEAP, easy to use, alternative to my phone camera, that I could keep in my tank bag and improve the quality of my pics without breaking the bank, or worrying about carrying around a piece of delicate technology.

Seems to me, that digital photography has improved to the point that there should be a dated, inexpensive, sturdy, camera available that would still be way ahead of my phone camera.

Thanks for any input.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

Last edited by philharmonic; 07-23-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:59 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
If you have a fairly new smartphone, I would stick with that. Most of the time itís not the camera, itís the person taking the pic and knowing how to use ďthatĒ camera be it a iPhone, Android or the latest $5000 Nikon body. So many of the pics you see online are filtered to the max. Youíre much better off getting an app that will control all the settings on you phone camera and practicing with it. Then you can also play with a filter app.

AZJohnnyO
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Boyitgobob likes this.

"What if the HOKEY POKEY "IS" what it's all about?"
"An honest government has no fear of an armed population".
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:17 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

The cameras in phones have gotten so good, the market for stand alone inexpensive cameras is all but gone. I use a Note8 for my work phone (and personal use). It has a dual lens set-up that takes fantastic clear pictures. It would take a high end DSLR to get better pictures.

Thankfully, my employer paid for it. Because, even though it is two generations old, it still sells for around $800.00 (ouch) But upgraded phone cost(s) can be spread out through your monthly phone service if you buy it from your provider. What is is worth each month to you for good pictures?

There are DSLR cameras available new for a few hundred bucks. But the camera itself is not where the expense is. It's in the detachable lens. Quality lenses are sold separately, can cost thousands! And you get much further from the simple to use platform.

I have a Kodak Z740 that is kept in my tankbag. It has been obsolete for over a decade(more?). It burns through batteries (rechargable). But it still takes decent pictures, so I continue to use it. These are mostly roll-up, pull out camera, take picture, ride off events. All while never getting off the seat.

But if I want to take a picture of some scenery and have the best quality, I pull out my phone.
passx likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:19 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have been using a Canon PowerShot SX20 IS camera for about 6 years now, and have taken tens of thousands of pictures and movies with audio. It has been with me during the last 5 years of my travels around Australia, Tasmania, New Zealand, and South Africa. It travels with me full time in my tank bag on the bike, and has suffered some brutal treatment. I have dropped it several times onto rocks and concrete, and got it wet in the rain, but it has never failed.

It has a built in zoom lens, and can do both optical and digital zoom, but cannot take add-on lenses. It has about a dozen different modes, the most important of which is the "Auto" mode. In this mode, the camera sorts itself out. You can operate it with virtually no knowledge of photography, which is great as that is what I have. It is also reasonably small, which is very necessary on the bike.

No doubt this model is obsolete now, but I'm sure Canon will have similar models.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/c...x20-is-review/
philharmonic likes this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.

Last edited by Bernie; 07-23-2019 at 09:27 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:11 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

For all the reasons Bernie states, I have a Panasonic Lumix ZS3.... less fussing with menus, etc. Can pull it out on the fly or hang it from your neck and never have to take a glove off. Phones, great pics with the latest, but my Note 5 is a two hander. Plus I broke the cover lens on it, replacement coming but it acts up now buzzing around trying to focus.... I suspect the new lens will fix that.
philharmonic likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:30 PM
Farkle Trainee

I carry a little Fuji Finepix Digital Point & Shoot on a lanyard around my neck. You can see it against my stomach in this pic

Take lots of pics on the fly, forwards, backwards in the mirrors, over the shoulder (samples)

Waterproof, because it's on a lanyard you can just let go of it and it drops to your stomach, and it turns itself off. I've taken a gazillion photos with this and cameras like it for the last 15 years or so.

Cost less than $100.
philharmonic, Redfish and ichsnoo like this.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

I use a Canon PowerShot Elph 180 with an 8X Zoom. I chose it because it is relatively thin and smooth with somewhat rounded edges. Sort of like a concealed carry pistol, it has nothing to snag on the draw. I wear it on a neck tether just like the ugly guy in front of the Pike's Peak sign in the post before this one. It slides neatly into either of the chest pockets of my Tourmaster Transition jacket and is always ready.

My pics are not great but...

I can take pics on the fly:

the Ferret likes this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:24 PM
FJR Top Gun

A friend bought this one on Amazon

and took it on a recent trip we took. He got good photos and even mounted it like a GoPro for some pretty good videos.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

I lost track of this thread, thanks everyone for responding. I am watching a couple of the camera's you mentioned on Ebay, trying to get a deal. LOL

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

Last edited by philharmonic; 09-09-2019 at 09:51 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:34 AM
Farkle Trainee

Phones are great for taking pictures for one main reason, you have it immediately to hand! Against that I would say there are a few factors that mean it will always be inferior to even the most basic, quality, compact. First a phone lacks control, both as regards the physical handling but also, and arising from this, the actual picture. Depth of field is almost impossible to control on a phone. Secondly, sensor size is desperately important to final quality, yet is tiny on even the most expensive phones (the analogy is to the relative size of old fashioned negatives). Thirdly, as far as Iím aware, no phones have an optical zoom, so all zooming is digital, something that can easily be achieved on the computer without compromising initial framing. Cameras from Panasonic (their LUMIX range is amazing) or Canon, or Nikon (amongst others) are often smaller than a phone and can easily be carried in spare pockets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page