Overdrive - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:10 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On Rockwell View Post
In riding between Oklahoma City and Arkansas I frequently set the cruise to 80 or at least 75 m.p.h.

But at times I want to shift up to another gear that is not there.

That doesn't sound like a design issue. More like operator error.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:17 PM
FJR Top Gun

They fixed something that wasn't broken because the marketing department told them to ... and because motorcycling journalists don't really appreciate relaxed touring speeds.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

As happened here, these 5-speed vs. 6-speed threads seem to bring a lot of if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it critcism about the 6-speed upgrade ("upgrade," in my opinion, not "change"), which is fair: true, it wasn't a necessary fix as the bike operated fine before. It sure seems to me, though, that some of the criticism is arguably founded more on a priority for tradition than an appreciation that 1). Yamaha needed to attract more than traditionalists for a bike already struggling with declining popularity, and 2). the 6-speed is a quantitative, measurable improvement that works as advertised.

I bought a '16 specifically because of the 6-speed change and remain glad I did so as I believe it's a great upgrade and is exactly what this bike needed ('course, the LED lighting is fantastic as well). I've owned a bike that was unpleasantly buzzy at highway speeds, and I didn't want to repeat that experience.

Look at the graph posted earlier...for those of us who push the 70 mph speed limit a bit and are well aware of the FJR's inherent buzziness at 4000-4500 rpm, who would not prefer the 6-speed smoothness at 3862 rpm at 80mph than smack dab in the middle of the vibration zone at the 5-speed's 4245 rpm at 80 mph? The FJR is designed to be a touring bike...it makes perfect sense to me to give it an 6th gear/overdrive so that the bike at touring speed can be as comfortable and smooth as possible at the speed it's likely to be traveling.

So was it a necessary upgrade? No, but I see it as a substantive improvement that turned a bike that was once Good (Gen. 1), and then Better (Gen. 2), into now finally the Best version of itself.

2016 FJR1300A

post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
That doesn't sound like a design issue. More like operator error.
bounce likes this.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A

2013 Honda GL1800 Goldwing ABS

2004 Honda ST1300 ABS
Rest In Peace!!!!!!!!

2005 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

2003 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

1992 Honda ST1100

1996 Honda GL1500 Goldwing

1994 Kawasaki Voyager

1983 CB1000 Custom

1972 Kawasaki G4TR
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:16 AM
Farkle Trainee

IMHO, Yammerhammer added 6th gear in order to "keep up with the Jonses." Ever consider that adding a gear without making the gearbox bigger necessitates making everything in that gearbox smaller? hmmm?

I had a C-10 and I HATED that transmission. 4th and 5th were so close that I routinely did a double shift from 4th into 6th!

Bar end weights solve the buzzy thing, almost completely. It seems it gets buzzy at about the same time you enter the ticket zone... lol

I am NOT right. You are NOT wrong. vive le differance!

Ride on, brothers.

Oh, and rumor has it that next year they will offer air conditioning and a swimming pool as options to augment the cruise control...

2012 Gen 2

"The closer you get,
to the meaning,
The sooner you know,
That you're DREAMING"

(HEAVEN AND HE77 - Black Sabbath)
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have over 84,000 miles on a gen III 5 speed. And around 22,000 miles on a gen IV 6 speed....

At 85mph, my rpms in 6th gear are, IIRC, around 1,000 rpms lower than they were at the same speed on my 2014 in top gear. If someone tells you “there’s not much difference in engine rpm, you just have a sixth gear,” they definitely haven’t owned both bikes....”.

If I want explosive roll-on power, I want 5th gear. If I want to cruise at highway speed, I’m in 6th.

I don’t find much mileage difference between the two bikes at highway speed. I do find the decreased vibration from lower rpm’s to be noticeable.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 07-26-2019 at 12:56 PM.
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:29 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I’ve ridden both and I think both are fine, not sure why Yamaha decided to make 1st taller in the 6spd, makes no sense to make it more difficult to pull away from a stop but it works ok. The big benefit with the 6spd in my opinion is that it moves the 3500-4500rpm vibration zone up Into speeds that are very illegal.

Now all that said, i’ll Add that it’s (the 6spd) not enough to make me trade my 14a with that “very fastest” color red but maybe if they ever come out with a gen 3.5 in a fastest color red, (along with an improved subframe, steering bearings and of course more power ) then I might consider it. But truthfully my next bike will probably be something smaller/lighter like the tracer GT but I want to ride one at the local demo days if they have one to ride, but until then my red (very fastest color ��) will continue to occupy space in the garage.

Ray’s chart above really tells you everything you need to know about the 5spd vs 6spd differences. I’ll add that in my opinion I believe that mother Yamaha has improved the engine balance in the gen 3.5’s as well as the couple that i’ve ridden seem much smoother in the 3500-4500 vibration zone. My .02

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 07-24-2019 at 08:32 AM.
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:52 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
At 85mph, my rpms in 6th gear are, IIRC, around 1,000 rpms lower than they were at the same speed on my 2014 in top gear.
If Ray's chart is correct, the difference in RPM's at that speed is around 400.

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:34 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gen2 View Post
Oh, and rumor has it that next year they will offer air conditioning and a swimming pool as options to augment the cruise control...
But there is already air conditioning for motorcycles as an option http://entrosys.com/
philharmonic likes this.
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:47 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Iíve ridden both and I think both are fine, not sure why Yamaha decided to make 1st taller in the 6spd, makes no sense to make it more difficult to pull away from a stop but it works ok. The big benefit with the 6spd in my opinion is that it moves the 3500-4500rpm vibration zone up Into speeds that are very illegal.
If Yamaha didn't fit the thinnest, hardest bar-grips known to man, this wouldn't be an issue.

In any event, a set of Grip Puppies fixes it. Either that or my hands died years ago, given the amount of time I spend on CC at around 4000 rpm.
passx likes this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page