Inaccurate speedos in Canada - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:50 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It's in the manual.... Check Engine will sometimes trigger as a temporary condition of TCS/Cruise, and will go out when the condition is corrected. Code is stored to record the event but has no effect on running the bike, clear it at your convenience. (You need that ABS harness and OBD reader to do this yourself rather than pay a dealer).
I run a 190/55 rear and I don't have any ABS or TCS or Cruise issues.... so there's your real world experience. I did have a CE/TCS issue with both lights on once.... some dummy forgot to put the rear wheel sensor in...... Lights went off when condition corrected, cleared the codes via the DiAG screen (that you don't have!).
Damir likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:49 PM
FJR Top Gun

There is no law or regulation stipulating speedometer accuracy in the USA for anything but busses and commercial trucks where +-5% is the spec.

In Europe the requirement is that the speedometer never indicate less than actual speed, but up to 10% faster than actual is permissible. This must accommodate tire wear and variations in size of actual tires. Canada tends to follow Europe's lead.

As for odometer accuracy, it only has to be accurate enough to fend off class action lawyers if one is denied warranty service.

Working as a defense contractor prior to the Year 2000 Fiasco got roped into "Y2K Certification Testing." Mostly collected letters from OS and application vendors. Got labeled as troublemaker for asking for the Federal Standard For DoD Computer Clock Accuracy? All my reports stated, "If a problem occurs we will simply set the clock back 10 years because 1) there is no DoD standard or regulation that the computer clock be accurate, and 2) none of our applications need current time/date, we simply enjoy the ease of trusting the OS file timestamps and system logs."
bounce, FjrjrF and Damir like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I've been looking at the speedo discussions for years and always wondered why it was such a big deal. We always knew there were differences between indicated and actual. We used to time a 60mph run along highway mile markers and do the math in our heads. From there we knew the offset and just did the numbers (also in our heads). It seems a lot of money for a "speedo healer" when you can do it for free and exercise your brain at the same time.
N4HHE likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:09 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I've been looking at the speedo discussions for years and always wondered why it was such a big deal. We always knew there were differences between indicated and actual. We used to time a 60mph run along highway mile markers and do the math in our heads. From there we knew the offset and just did the numbers (also in our heads). It seems a lot of money for a "speedo healer" when you can do it for free and exercise your brain at the same time.
bounce, but that would be too easy some of us like the "drama" and like to overthink and over analyze stuff, we believe that by overthinking we exercise our brains at all the time, rather then just when riding
On a serious note; I think that any piece of equipment that needs to measure or count something should be as accurate as possible, period. Until recently, I never knew that FJR speedo is lying by such a hefty margin of +8kph which is a lot (especially if for example you pickup a speeding ticket for going 10kph over speed limit)
The only time I would tolerate discrepancy would be if Yamaha can calibrate my local ATM cash bank machine, using the same +8 software
bounce and N4HHE like this.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:06 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
bounce, but that would be too easy some of us like the "drama" and like to overthink and over analyze stuff, we believe that by overthinking we exercise our brains at all the time, rather then just when riding
That would render useless our YouTube "friend".

Quote:
On a serious note; I think that any piece of equipment that needs to measure or count something should be as accurate as possible, period. Until recently, I never knew that FJR speedo is lying by such a hefty margin of +8kph which is a lot (especially if for example you pickup a speeding ticket for going 10kph over speed limit)
The only time I would tolerate discrepancy would be if Yamaha can calibrate my local ATM cash bank machine, using the same +8 software
Our betters who must make laws and regulations to protect us because we are stupid and not as smart as they, think it best we not be told the truth. That we need to be told we are driving faster than we really are because then they are really justified in writing a ticket for +10 over because your speedometer was indicating +18 over.

Never mind how we get used to instruments lying to us, so we don't believe what they say. Just as we are getting used to media and internet lying to us that we don't believe what they say.

I agree, all instruments should make best effort to tell us exactly what is happening. +8 kph can not be accidental, it is a deliberate error. Especially how late model US FJRs are only 0-1 MPH high.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:16 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It's to CYA because of manufacturing tolerances. Who doesn't like the idea of a speed that is 10% off (reporting higher than actual)? You can go the speed limit and still know there's a buffer. None of us speed so that's a win/win. It's not like it's rocket surgery.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:47 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
It's to CYA because of manufacturing tolerances.
What “manufacturing tolerances”? How difficult is it to hold tire circumference to 1% across all 180/55-17 tires?

Quote:
Who doesn't like the idea of a speed that is 10% off (reporting higher than actual)? You can go the speed limit and still know there's a buffer. None of us speed so that's a win/win. It's not like it's rocket surgery.
And that is heart of the problem. You learn the speedometer is lying and no longer trust. Then especially when you get in a different vehicle with a different error but muscle memory has programmed correction based on the first vehicle.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Last edited by N4HHE; 08-12-2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: s/hart if/heart of/
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:54 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
I have 2016 ES (bought in 2017). I tested inaccuracy many times and it is always showing 10% less. I was surprised at first by this big %, but got used to it. I constantly have to calculate speed if I want to be at the top of the currently allowed.

So, when I went to take my M license few weeks ago (after a break of 20 years from motorcycles), I let examiners know about this issue and I was told to keep the best I can above 100km/h on the highway (or keep the speed of traffic). Luckily, the traffic was heavily congested as usual on Toronto's 401, so it was not a problem.

But when I'm on the road and use GPS, I like to monitor the speed on my Smartphone. It's so strange to be doing 131km/h and seeing on GPS that it is only 118km/h (which police here tolerates on highways), lol!
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

There has to be some tolerance on bikes because various tires have slightly different diameters. However, quite well known Canadian FJR's/bikes have a 7-8% error since forever and the US ones only have a 2-3% error, at least on their Gen3's.
bounce likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
However, quite well known Canadian FJR's/bikes have a 7-8% error since forever and the US ones only have a 2-3% error, at least on their Gen3's.
I wonder if this difference is caused by unit conversion from miles to km's (when switching in the settings)...

2016 FJR1300 ES
Sargent seat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page