Snake oil?!? Deer whistles - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Snake oil?!? Deer whistles

I have no skin in this game, and hopefully keeping it that way, just mentioning my observations. I mostly ride two lane roads in the backcountry in NJ (yes, there is a lot of backcountry here, Shhhh, it's a best kept secret) And of course, the young don't hunt anymore unless it is a video game, so deer population is equalling humans in this most densely populated state.

A few years ago, I gave in and bought a two deer whistles and stuck then on the top front of my gen III turn signals. Trust me, I don't THINK they work, but I figured if they did just by happenstance why not. These deer whistles are a single unit with two holes (like in my head) and they state that only one is needed per car. So, maintaining my stupid logic, I bought two..... one for each side.

I have stock exhaust, so no loud noise rolling down the road. Two years ago I started to notice birds sitting on the power lines as I approached would fly away, didn't notice that for the years before the whistles. Hmmm. With this years 'renovations' done on the bike over the winter, I ordered two more, heck, their cheap. I still have those unnoticeable black ones above the turn signals, now I mounted these two under the headlights in the front tire opening. Yep, logic tells me any noise they MIGHT make would be behind me rather than out in front. But, what the heck, now you can't really see the four unless you look closely. Mounted as far front as possible to catch un-fluctuating air.

I'm not lying, the few times I've been out this year, there is a plethora of wildlife moving in front of me. Deer, turkeys, turkey buzzards, squirrels.... Problem is, they don't move in the opposite direction. They just start moving! I do not know if these buggers work, but I would rather have the wildlife stayput, so they might come off, and I'll see if I still notice this movement.

I'm not saying they work or don't, just observations. Like I said, I would rather these critters stay put.

- Jim,
AMA and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:41 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I would think a passive device (as opposed to a horn) will be heard better at very close distance and after it passed you.... I don't know if they work, I don't have any of them. I have also observed some animals won't move even if you blow the horn, until you get right on top of them... I think they're more concerned about motion. And deer are just plain unpredictable.
bounce likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:09 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Deer whistles are placebos. Even if they did work, deer are hard wired to take flight randomly to confuse predators. They are just as likely to spook INTO your path as away from it. Additionally, passives have to deal with clogs (and debris and optimum speed to emit the right frequency, etc.) if they really worked.

OTOH I had a friend send me a set of these while he was living in Australia. I have put the unopened package in my tank bag and car report that, since doing so, I have never had an encounter. Based on the testimonies of deer whistles effectiveness, I can claim 100% effectiveness.

lilokie752, passx, FjrjrF and 5 others like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 06-03-2019 at 11:13 AM.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

When I had a Ducati sport tourer, with aftermarket exhaust that wasn't obnoxious but had a nice deep tone, I felt like wildlife ran sooner than it does with my inline fours with about the same sound output. Like RayZ and Bounce said, the deer will run in completely unpredictable directions, but I 'felt' like they were running sooner with the deeper sound.

(All of my deer hits have been in cars and trucks, thank God... and there was zero reaction time.)

I'm of the persuasion that respectable aftermarket exhaust sound is good because people and wildlife notice you more. I hate 'loud' pipes, but I do like being audible.

And IMHO, a loud horn is nothing more than a waste of reaction time.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I would posit that, unless you point your exhaust forward, the sound won't get to people and things in front of you until your passing them. At least at anything faster than neighborhood speeds.
passx and N4HHE like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:40 PM
Training wheels fitted!

You are saying that I wont hear an open exhaust Harley coming directly at me until it passes me?

2013 FJR1300A
2006 FJR1300A
2017 Monster 821
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
You are saying that I wont hear an open exhaust Harley coming directly at me until it passes me?
You will hear the annoying bounced sound if you are in a not so noisy environment (like sitting in your quiet back yard). While riding, I generally hear the straight exhaust bikes when they are a few car lengths back. If they are in front of me, I either pass them or wait for them to disappear ahead as they swerve thru traffic.

Worst case scenario, I stop, take another road, or wait until I pass the next watering hole.
N4HHE likes this.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

I've had enough experience watching deer run away from me while in a car and on the motorcycle to convince me that they are working. Worst case was one evening last summer (201 in Wyoming coming down a mountainside in Bighorn National Forest into Greybull, WY, and there were thousands of deer roaming about. I was burning my brakes coming down the mountain, but didn't have any deer jump into the path of the car. Any that were along the road would jump away from the road as we approached and I always had a clear path of at least 100 yards ahead. Similar experience riding the East the last few years having any deer along the side of the road (typically only 1 or 2) that would jump away rather than toward the road.

Current: 2013 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring - Rosie
Former: 1979 Honda CB750, 1994 Honda Magna, 1995 Honda Magna, 1982 Honda CBX, 1997 Honda Magna, 1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 2013 Yamaha FJR1300 - Gutnis
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I would posit that, unless you point your exhaust forward, the sound won't get to people and things in front of you until your passing them. At least at anything faster than neighborhood speeds.
I get that, but the difference in sound levels between an approaching FJR with stock exhaust and one with reasonable aftermarket cans is not zero. It's actually more than I thought it would be when watching fellow FJR riders with both types ride past at highway speeds.

I'm not saying that I like open pipes, or that loud pipes will be a major factor in wildlife avoidance... just sharing my experience.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

So, what weight snake oil are you guys using ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page