Snake oil?!? Deer whistles - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:22 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Someone was running those active whistles during the Mass Gold ride. Those would, IMO, be the only type to work. Passive whistles would only work at 1 optimum speed and every other speed would either be higher or lower pitched (if they worked at all) barring debris and rain clogging them. Mount them on the wrong side or backward and they call deer.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I was riding behind a friend who swore by his deer whistle's effectiveness on a ride near Altoona PA. A deer flew across the road inches in front of my friend who had absolutely no time to react except to throw up his hands after the deer disappeared into the woods on the opposite side of the road. A few year later while discussing deer whistles with a group of riders, I recalled this incident to the group. My friend vehemently denied this incident?!?

Deer whistles make money for some and give others a false sense of safety.
bounce likes this.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by slardy View Post
I was riding behind a friend who swore by his deer whistle's effectiveness on a ride near Altoona PA. A deer flew across the road inches in front of my friend who had absolutely no time to react except to throw up his hands after the deer disappeared into the woods on the opposite side of the road. A few year later while discussing deer whistles with a group of riders, I recalled this incident to the group. My friend vehemently denied this incident?!?

Deer whistles make money for some and give others a false sense of safety.
You might be better off rubbing some fresh deer blood on your fairing. The deer would smell this and give you a clear berth.
passx likes this.

My first car was a motorcycle.

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:58 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
Remember, I never said they worked or act as a deterrence. If anything from my original post, is that I'm noticing more movement as I pass at around 35 to 45 mph. 50% of the time it is in my pathway which is bad. I've tried the straight line effect, that is also what race car drivers do, it works 50% of the time, the other 50.......
In my opinion, I wish more people hunted deer and there were at least 2 hunting seasons per year. That's only MY opinion. If we introduce more wolves into the environment, then we'll have them running in front of us! To my recollection, I've never had a hunter run right out in front of me. LOL (unless they're in a car)
I saw 2 dead wolves on the side on the road on 1 snowmobile trip. Ive never seen 1 dead one before, let alone 2 on the same trip. Tree huggers are doing a fine job
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:40 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
We have some big parrots in Australia called “gallah”. Pronounced ‘gullar’. Big pink and grey suckers that have been scientifically proven to be idiots. The like flying into your path for some reason - probably because they are idiots. They’re heavy enough that they’ve broken peoples ribs at normal highway speeds. Bloody gallah’s.

We call those rose breasted cockatoos here in the USA, and they are prized parrots for those who like to keep them as pets
I've seen hand-raised ones going for about $2,000!

2018 MT-09
2018 FJR1300A
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Farkle Trainee

They don't work. If you're inclined, here is a study https://www.researchgate.net/publica...hold_responses

If you Google "do deer whistles work", the only place that says they do are the ones selling them.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
miles ÷ smiles=bike.
It's simple math.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:36 PM
doc
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnnights View Post
We call those rose breasted cockatoos here in the USA, and they are prized parrots for those who like to keep them as pets
I've seen hand-raised ones going for about $2,000!
Crickey, that’s a lot of dollars for a big pink budgie. Last one we had on the farm was hand raised - but plenty of farming families have them or a sulphurs crested cockatoo as a family pet because they are just so common. Leave a bit of feed out and they’ll start hanging around, and likely one will decide your house is a pretty good place to live. Doesn’t take long until they are - totally by choice - sitting on your shoulder annoying the crap out of you

Our last one was named “Numbnuts”. Because he was an idiot. He chose not to fly but was perfectly capable of it. About the only time you’d see him flying was to escape the ever-present foxes.

Cheers,

Anthony
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:55 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

bounce, SmashVol, passx and 1 others like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page