Trailering a FJR - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Trailering a FJR

Picking up a new to me 2010 FJR. Would like suggestions on safe and proper tied down of the bike. I'm loading it on a 59 U-haul trailer. Have been watching YouTube too. The FJR has rear canyon cages. Looking forward to all your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:16 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I suggest Tank Straps. I have two pairs of them and they're suuuper heavy duty. The way Sean recommends using them is looping them around the bottom of the forks, one strap for each side of the front wheel. Cinch them down tight enough that the bike moves as one with the trailer when you jerk the handlebars.
N4HHE likes this.

Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

I used a Canyon Dancer which goes over the bars.

Blchandl2
'15 FJR1300 (Primer)
PEACE, Something to shoot for.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

I would like to hear your experience with the U haul trailer. Ease of loading, tie down spots, cost, if you would use them again.

Due to some medical issues I am buying a trailer, but for as many times as I would need to use it, a rental may be a better idea.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:52 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
I would like to hear your experience with the U haul trailer. Ease of loading, tie down spots, cost, if you would use them again.

Due to some medical issues I am buying a trailer, but for as many times as I would need to use it, a rental may be a better idea.
Probably used the U-Haul rental trailer about 4 or 5 times. Picked up my (new to me) '06 FJR with the trailer because the tires were worn to the cords and used to haul my VStar 1100 to New England. For occasional usage, it's fine. Trailer has a built-in area to support the front tire (not a chock, but it does support the tire some) and numerous tie downs rings and areas to support strapping. It sure beats storing a trailer at home. It used to cost about $15/day.
the Ferret and TechSPC like this.

2006 FJR1300A
Central NJ, USA
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

Good info dimmer, thanks

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:14 AM
Farkle Trainee

I personally did not like the Canyon Dancer. Others do like it, but IMO they leave an impression on the grips and there are better places to tie the bike. Again, that's just my opinion. I like to use a set of soft straps to wrap around the fork tubes just above the bottom triple clamp. Hook a ratchet strap to the loop of the soft strap. There are decent tie down points on the rear of the bike but you can also wrap a strap around the rear tire/rim (an old T-shirt or rag to prevent marking the rim) and that secures the bike pretty well.

I know I am supposed to make fun of anyone trailering their bike... I am too tired for my normal jokes right now. I will say that the method of wrapping around the rear tire came from my Harley riding cousin. And he learned it at Sturgis where apparently a LOT of bikes arrive on trailers.
relhok, N4HHE and HFJeff like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:36 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
I suggest Tank Straps. I have two pairs of them and they're suuuper heavy duty. The way Sean recommends using them is looping them around the bottom of the forks, one strap for each side of the front wheel. Cinch them down tight enough that the bike moves as one with the trailer when you jerk the handlebars.
Looking at pictures and videos I can’t tell what the Tank Strap pulls against, i.e., what the strap is rubbing up against. Some pics it appears to pull against the fork fender mount flange right on top of the fender which seems like a really bad idea?
Anyone have a closeup shot of what the strap pulls against?

Hugh "Mac" Brooks
2015 FJR1300ES
Ann Arbor, MI
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:18 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Will ride for food?

Really! Just feed someone and they will get it to you. Ride-to-eat is all the incentive any FJR rider needs.

DAN THE PARTS MAN
2007 FJR1300AE
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:21 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Here is my setup. 5x8 trailer, Harbor Freight wheel chock. Bikemaster ratchet straps and soft loop straps. The soft loop straps go above the lower triple trees and the rear foot rests. The ratchet straps then attach to the soft loop straps and the trailer/wheel chock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJR tow home 1 (2).jpg (232.6 KB, 42 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page