Wearing Bates Boots - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Wearing Bates Boots

Anyone wear Bates Boots when riding their FJR? Concerned as to whether or not there is enough room for shifting. I'm going from a Goldwing and space looks a little tight. I know it is a matter of getting used to the riding position too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Adjust the position of the shift lever.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I wore bates before I realized they were cheap knockoffs of Danners. There is ample room for shifting wearing this sort of boot, even without shifter adjustment (but adjustment is easy). I wear a variety of Danners depending upon conditions. Ride safe.

Tour of Honor- Join today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

I am looking for a boot that has-
Narrow platform, not narrow width sizing. Many boots have too much platform or surface area width at the wide forward portion of the shoe. I often drag that part of the boot when left cornering, I am holding my foot inboard and slightly up but this part of the shoe contacts just about the time the footpeg does. A bit unnerving to have your foot tugged on while leaned over. Last pair of boots I trimmed down with razor and grinder wheel followed by solder iron to melt/smooth and seal.

An appearance that does not make me look Barley rider, Goth or Women's prison guard. Current pick is 5.11 tactical boots, have some ankle protection and did require some trimming for cornering clearance.

2015 FJR A
Pile of dirt bikes, mostly KTM's and a few Vintage
Boats n Stuff
What makes your life worth living?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:15 AM
Farkle Trainee

Learn how to shift your weight and you won't hit your boots. It doesn't take much. You don't have to look like your racing in MotoGP. Just a little weight bias to the inside makes a huge difference. Once you get used to it, muscle memory takes over and you won't think about it anymore. I read about riders complaining about hitting hard parts and boots and I just don't get it. Here in N. Cal we have a lot of twisties and I ride pretty aggressively and never touch down.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
miles smiles=bike.
It's simple math.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjr216 View Post
Anyone wear Bates Boots when riding their FJR? Concerned as to whether or not there is enough room for shifting. I'm going from a Goldwing and space looks a little tight. I know it is a matter of getting used to the riding position too.
Which Bates? They make lots of boots.

I wear Bates USMC boots and have no issues. They're a mild compromise between protection and still being comfortable when off the bike.

2015 FJR1300A
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have been wearing Bates Ultra-Lite Tactical with side zipper for over 3 years and they are comfortable and holding up well. They may be cheap(er) than a Danner but are definitely a good quality boot. I never had an issue on any of my bikes with shifting interference. Comfy all day, light, semi-breathable yet water and wind resistant, affordable and available nearly everywhere. I commute to work 100 miles a day and wear them all day long. If they can stand up to Police, Fire, Emt and Corrections, they can handle a couple hours of ride time and a day at the office.

2016 BMW R1200rt (current)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES (sold)
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)

Last edited by HFJeff; 04-15-2019 at 10:08 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You’re going to find bates in use in more stationary vocations. They’ll last a long time for riding. Not so much for law enforcement. But they cost half as much as danners. No way I’d pay danner money if I was just going to use them for riding. But I wear my boots all the time, to include work. Good boots (bates) no matter how you measure them.

I’m curious about someone having boots “rubbing” or scraping. You are putting the ball of your foot on the peg when you corner, rather than the arch, right? Any boot will scrape in a turn if you leave your foot centered on the peg. I remove
my peg feelers, and can still have a peg touch in the twisties. But my size 12 wides aren’t going to touch.

Tour of Honor- Join today.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 04-16-2019 at 07:11 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:08 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I've worn Bates Tactical side zips the last two years. Goretex lining, no issues with water. Very comfortable riding or walking. If they were an inch higher, that would be an improvement.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:59 AM
FJR Top Gun

I usually wear Sidi supposedly waterproof (not at all) boots and had to adjust the shifter up a smidge to comfortably get them under the shifter.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page