Fairing storage compartment, can lock be removed? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By jjscsix
  • 1 Post By Bill Lumberg
  • 1 Post By RaYzerman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Fairing storage compartment, can lock be removed?

I would like to be able to open the compartment without the key being on. I don't want to dig into the project until I know it will work without the lock.

BTW, the lock is on the same fuse as the horn. The fuse will blow with dual Fiamm horns with no relay. If it does it on the road, and you have your phone and wallet in that compartment, you better hope you have your Phillips head screw driver AND the appropriate Allen wrench with you. Fortunately I did.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:19 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I would like to be able to open the compartment without the key being on. I don't want to dig into the project until I know it will work without the lock.

BTW, the lock is on the same fuse as the horn. The fuse will blow with dual Fiamm horns with no relay. If it does it on the road, and you have your phone and wallet in that compartment, you better hope you have your Phillips head screw driver AND the appropriate Allen wrench with you. Fortunately I did.
In days of old folks replaced the solenoid latch with velcro, cabinet magnets, etc. to hold the door closed.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I keep the tools necessary to access the battery compartment, and other critical areas, under the seat. About 100,000 fjr miles ago, I remember checking the cost to replace a (forcibly) broken glove box lid. But not going caveman.
jjscsix likes this.

Tour of Honor- Join today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 04-13-2019 at 07:17 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:12 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

On Gen3, take the glove box cover off, two screws (I think), unplug the solenoid and remove it. EZPZ on mine.
On prior Gens, the solenoid I believe had to remain in place and other methods needed as Russ says.
jjscsix likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
On Gen3, take the glove box cover off, two screws (I think), unplug the solenoid and remove it. EZPZ on mine.
On prior Gens, the solenoid I believe had to remain in place and other methods needed as Russ says.
Ray, it's not quite that easy unless I'm missing something. But I have had it out, so I know I can do it again. You have answered my question as expected. This is not new for me. I removed the lock on the compartment on my Concours 14.

Thanks Ray.

Jim
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Okay, I disabled the locking mechanism today. It required taking off more tupperware than I had hoped for. If I knew what it looked like and exactly what had to be taken off, I could have done it without removing as much stuff. But I wanted to have full access to it so I knew what to do and that little pieces would not suddenly launch every which way.

It basically has two components. A solenoid that moves a piston up or down as the ignition is turned on or off, and a pivoting mechanism that the solenoid actuates to stop the push button from moving down when there is no power. Because they are separate components both held down by the same two screws, I just removed the pivoting mechanism and screwed the solenoid back into its original place.

I even left the wires hooked up. I assume they don't need to be, but my last four bikes have all been can-bus bikes and would have thrown an error code, so my brain was wired to leave it wired. At some point I'll probably unplug the connector and seal it off. There is power to the connector whenever the key is on, so I didn't want it just dangling free in the elements either.

Jim
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2017 KTM Superduke GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page