Polarized Sunglasses and the LCD Instuments - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:12 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I really really don’t like polarised sunglasses when I ride or drive. My choice is Serengeti Driver glasses - drivers gradient lenses. I only wear polarised when pursuing door activities such as on my surf ski. The rainbow swirls on various surfaces are annoying and there is better lens technology out there.
Had these for years, nothing but the best. I was informed two years ago they don't do the glass lenses any more, they are plastic. That's my current prescription pair.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:33 PM
doc
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Had these for years, nothing but the best. I was informed two years ago they don't do the glass lenses any more, they are plastic. That's my current prescription pair.
They still do two lens types - plastic or glass. According to Serengeti, non-polarised drivers gradient lenses are still made from mineral glass, not available in plastic (or what they call “polar PhD”)

https://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/en-anz/uv-solar-lens

Cheers,

Anthony
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstormer View Post
I guess a few of you stateside wear Ray-Bans or Oakleys - polarised or not.
I learnt something today - the product marketing aura is that cool ray-bans have to be made in the USA right? Tom Cruise in Top Gun with his Ray Ban Aviators etc?
Wrong!
The lenses are made in France by a company called Essilor and the frames are made in Italy by another company called Luxottica.
They merged last year - a $48 billion deal. And yes it was $48 Billion - not million - I checked.
So they are now called (takes deep breath) EssilorLuxottica

From the UK business press article of today:-
"Oakley and Ray-Ban are the company’s better-known brands in sunglasses. Paradoxically, however, a fundamental part of the business plan seems to be to stay out of sight. On some estimates, EssilorLuxottica has more customers than Apple, but relatively few folk have heard of it. Even its “investor and media relations” office ignores emails from shareholders and journalists"

Oh - and Ray-Bans were never US air force issue - the issue aviator-style sunglasses were made by Randolph Engineering!

Who knew? No me for one!

Luxottica bought up not only sunglasses companies but many of the mall-type prescription places. Wonder why glasses are so expensive? A hidden monopoly that price fixes. When Oaklie refused their purchase offers, they took all the displays for the company out of their stores and kiosks. Sales plummetted until they nearly went bankrupt. Luxottica bought them for a song and quadrupled their MSRP overnight.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 04-08-2019 at 01:28 PM.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:27 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Randolph engineering came much later. Bausch and Lomb Ray-Bans were there far before. Who ever thought that ray-ban’s were made in the US?

I’m disappointed that Ray-Ban has offered cheapened versions of their main sunglasses line in recent years, detectable by the cheap hinges and, in some cases, plastic instead of glass lenses. But they are still the originals. Nothing wrong with Randolph. They’re a good product. But they weren’t the first, or the original.

I’ve used the gold standard for decades. Aviators were the best quality and style for a long time. But their design let a lot of light in around the edges. As styles changed, their Balorama became a better substitute for the aviator or wayfarer styles.

Oakley came along with the first quality plastic lenses, and while they did not compare to high end glass for optical clarity, their variety of hues and percentages of light transmission was huge. Many Oakley frames were more suitable for sweat and sports than any of their competitors ever were.

Tour of Honor- Join today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 04-08-2019 at 06:43 PM.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:03 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I’m disappointed that Ray-Ban has offered cheapened versions of their main sunglasses line in recent years, detectable by the cheap hinges and, in some cases, plastic instead of glass lenses. But they are still the originals. Nothing wrong with Randolph. They’re a good product. But they weren’t the first, or the original.
Have they? Market is flooded with counterfeit Ray-Bans. And Oakley.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yes, they have. When I first encountered wayfarers with plastic hinges, I insisted they were fakes. They were not. But you couldn’t be more right about counterfeits. Particularly the brands you listed.
N4HHE likes this.

Tour of Honor- Join today.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page