Tire Balancing - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Tire Balancing

Shinko Raven 007.

I see two concentric red rings. What does that mean?

I read a yellow dot is the light part of the tire and should be mounted adjacent to the valve stem.

I read that a red dot is the part of the tire where the centrifugal forces pulling it away from the rim is the greatest (are they just trying to be technical and that means the heavy part of the tire?), and that should be mounted opposite of the valve stem.

I read that every mfg has their own way.

Shinko responded today, of course after I just had to have my bike ready to go... and they said any painted dot is the light part of the tire and should be mounted adjacent to the valve stem. So, are two concentric red rings considered a painted dot?

I put the red circles opposite the valve stem, after some thinking and coin tosses. The wheel needs 1oz opposite the stem to balance. I installed 1/2 oz there, because that is what I had, but now I wonder if I should bust the bead and rotate the tire around?

It rides fine as it is, as long as I remember the tire is new, which I forgot about this morning until on the freeway. Good thing it didn't leak!
Barry58 likes this.

2014 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:07 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

If it's balanced, it's balanced. Doesn't matter where the dot is at that point. Easier to get another 1/2 oz and stick it on, if that's indeed what is needed.
Mr_Ed, Barry58, passx and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My front wheel is so far off I balanced it bare and put clip-on weights and leave them on permanently. I've tried different orientations with the dots on the tire and don't find a lot in it. Tires are pretty darn good as is. 1/2 ounce is perfectly acceptable, and balanced is balanced.
Barry58 likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:09 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Ray,

My wheels are also of a lot so I balanced them without the tire and leave those weights on the rims. Like you said tires aren't out much.

I have found the same with automotive rims that they are out more then the tires.

2013 FJR
2008 FJR
2007 Triumph Speed Triple
A few others
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:15 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I would leave it as is if you don't have any issues with vibration.

I remove and rebalance when my tires are half worn out and they usually are out by 1/4 to 1/2 oz. again.

2013 FJR
2008 FJR
2007 Triumph Speed Triple
A few others
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I honestly did not balance the bare rim, and should remember to do that next time. Looks like I will just double-stick the half ounce on there, and try to remember to check balance again later. The tire balanced with the half ounce about a quarter way around from the valve stem last time, and I think I put the dot at the stem.

I'm thinking a vibration would not really show on a bike anyway, or if it did, would be at high speed. Maybe the tire would wear funny.

I static balance using the axle sitting on two "knife" edges, and it seems I can tell to a few grams.

But, no more wobbles and the new tire feels great, very neutral steering.
Barry58 likes this.

2014 FJR1300A
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Sounds like your wheels are balanced pretty well as is if all you used is 1/2 ounce. My front wheel is off 50 grams, mama Yamaha had a ton of weights on there.... add a metal t-stem and TPMS I got that down to 30 grams. 7 grams=1/4 oz.
Barry58 likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:18 PM
FJR Top Gun

This is a very timely discussion for me as iíve Been giving my No-Mar tire changer quite the workout. Iíve been putting 2 new Shinko Tour Masters on my 81 CBX and and iíve learned a couple of things over the years. I usually balance the bare rims before putting the new tires on and then do the combination.

From the years of working for Goodyear a bazillion years ago I usually put the tire dot to the valve stem but quite frankly on most of these new tires they really donít seem to make much difference as the tire balance is pretty good on most new tires.

On my 81 CBX the Comstar rims were both near perfect with the front only needing 1/2oz while the rear needed nothing and once the tire was mounted I had to grind a 1/2oz weight down some to get a neutral balance on the rear. Pretty. Good !

But iíll say the the rear rim on my 14a fjr is like what Ray said above, it took a lot of weight to balance it and when I added the ďTĒ valves I was concerned that I wouldnít get them to balance out, I had to move the new Verge 2 around the rim a bunch plus about 5oz. of weight to get things to balance but weíre there as itís glass smooth to over 100mph.
Barry58 likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:30 PM
FJR Top Gun

Reading between the lines I have found similar to RaYzerman in that the valve stem isn't necessarily the heaviest point on a bare wheel.

However one should always put the painted dot next to the valve stem else the unknowing will think you are an idiot having done the job wrong.

Michelin motorcycle tires (PR4, PR4GT, and R5 that I know for sure) do not have a balance dot. Nonetheless I put the little white sticker on left side of tire bead at the valve stem. If for no other reason than if I have to dismount the tire I don't have to make a mark indicating valve stem to get it back close to where it was.

Sort of nice thing about RS3 is the balance marks are on the left side of the tire and easier to see than the arrows cast in the sidewall print. Same for Shinko.

I should take pictures of the factory mounted tires on my new F-150: none of the tire dots are anywhere close to the valve stems.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:29 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Sounds like your wheels are balanced pretty well as is if all you used is 1/2 ounce. My front wheel is off 50 grams, mama Yamaha had a ton of weights on there.... add a metal t-stem and TPMS I got that down to 30 grams. 7 grams=1/4 oz.
so you just leave the clip on on, then counter balance for the tire ??
thinking i'll do the same, since i also have the t -stem and sensors.

16ES

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page