Been Shopping for a BMW R1250RT...and... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Been Shopping for a BMW R1250RT...and...

......Woooooooo!

Just priced out a BMW R1250RT at my local dealer. After taxes for their least expensive model, the final bill came to (they refused to go any lower) $26,233.20. That is almost twice what I paid for my 2016 FJR in 2016 and in line with their K1600GT prices. WTF!!!

On a better note...the R1250GS (without luggage) only came to $24,559.30.

But the R1250GS Adventure with luggage would set me back $30,687.12. Well within Harley Ultra and Goldwing prices.

Are the BMWs really that much ($10K+) better? I'll have to do more test rides, but it's going to be hard to convince the Boss this time around.

....or maybe a used one sometime next year?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 04:40 AM
doc
Farkle Trainee

ďBetterĒ is a relative term. Itís also dependant on opinion, which is subjective. Yes, the R12RT is basically the same money as a K16GT, but they are very different bikes. Different size, different handling... The R1250RT is also brand new release, so BMW wonít feel the need to move much on price because there will be plenty of people who just have to have the latest from Berlin and donít really care about the price.

Based on a pure financial equation I could not justify a BMW (probably ANY) BMW. But honestly, what about motorcycling is based on any kind of logic? Itís passion, emotion, enjoyment, fun, adrenalin, adventure.....the list goes on. IMO, the only thing that really matters when buying a bike is what makes you want to get on it and ride. Whatever your reasons are for wanting one bike more than another, itís what matters to you thatís important - no one elseís opinion is really worth a penny.
RaYzerman, J-Luv, rogerf and 8 others like this.

Cheers,

Anthony
post #3 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:24 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Based on a pure financial equation I could not justify a BMW (probably ANY) BMW. But honestly, what about motorcycling is based on any kind of logic? Itís passion, emotion, enjoyment, fun, adrenalin, adventure.....the list goes on. IMO, the only thing that really matters when buying a bike is what makes you want to get on it and ride. Whatever your reasons are for wanting one bike more than another, itís what matters to you thatís important - no one elseís opinion is really worth a penny.
Well said! If I could take the riding position/ergonomics/balance of the BMW and everything else (price/engine/-everything) of the FJR, to me itíd be the perfect bike. (Ya know what, maybe add the more square bags of the Bimmer) But $10k more....
The absolute sheer reliability of the FJR also speaks volumes, especially when one is 4K+ miles from home. Thatís not a knock or slant at BMW, just one additional huge thinking point I made when making the decision.

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre

post #4 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 09:57 PM
Farkle Trainee

I just traded a 1600GT for the FJR. It was my second 1600. I also had a S1000R for a couple of years. The 1600s are nice but yes they are expensive. Look at my thread on the trade for my thoughts. BTW, this is my second FJR.

Six weeks ago I thought I was going to buy a new 1200RT heavily discounted. I did a 100 mile demo on it and was just not knocked out by it. A lot to like but some things I did not.

Then, for price reasons initially I thought hard about a 1250GS. I did a 20 mile ride on one. I had a deal made and told them I wanted to do another ride on the actual bike I was going to buy. I was literally 15 hours from buying it. But with retirement a week away I got cold feet on the extra $6,000 I was going to spend and decided on the FJR. I really did like the 1250GS. But now that I'm back on the FJR I have zero regrets.

If you decide on the GS I would certainly not blame you. If not for retirement I would have bought it. It's 100 lbs lighter than the FJR, it has decent wind protection and there are a lot of options to improve it even more. And with the new engine I think it's a fast as the FJR. And I love the dash.

BTW, Xavier, do you live in Canada? Those prices are too high for the U.S.
Sete Bond likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT

Last edited by jjscsix; 01-06-2019 at 10:02 PM.
post #5 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:57 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
All true that has been said. I ride with my friends that have R1200RT's. Once in the hills of W.VA his locking device/security wouldn't unlock so he was considering having it towed. 4 hour round trip to the nearest BMW dealer. Our day was shot, but we ended up fixing it. In my cynical humor, I said, hey we had just past a Yamaha dealer 10 minutes ago, maybe they can help.....

That to me is important and priceless, the less expensive $10K, AND a large dealer network. For when one is far from home and their tools, having a large network helps.
Bob Collings likes this.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #6 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
And the FJR rear drive unit doesn't break.

And it runs on regular.
stukky and Bob Collings like this.
post #7 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:47 AM
Farkle Trainee

BTW, Xavier, do you live in Canada? Those prices are too high for the U.S.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same...it would be really nice for all forum members to at least add the "Country or State" in their profile so we don't have to guess.

In this (Xavier's) case of BMW estimates it would be nice to know the city as well, so members can compare notes, and maybe suggest to Xavier a better deal somewhere else.
Sete Bond likes this.
post #8 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Corona California. Checked with BMW of Riverside and San Deigo. It is what it is. Don't forget those prices include taxes.
post #9 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:29 AM
doc
Farkle Trainee

Itís only money. Last time I checked, they were still making it.
Xavier6162, Damir and Sete Bond like this.

Cheers,

Anthony
post #10 of 101 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Itís only money. Last time I checked, they were still printing it.
There....fixed it for ya......

It's ok. You can thank me later.
Damir likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page