Been Shopping for a BMW R1250RT...and... - Page 10 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 01:42 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Damir, that oozing is some minor weepage from the large o-ring around that middle drive, and not too much to worry about. Who knows if Yamaha lubed the assembly before they inserted the middle drive or if the o-ring has now become lubed with use. I suspect if you wipe it down, it may just go away.
There is a large seal around that output shaft also, which could also weep but that bit of oil will fling off the u-joint behind it, and there may be some residue inside the plastic u-joint cover. Again, if it's minor and no dripping on the ground, I'd not worry about it as a drop of oil getting by a seal with a rotating shaft in it isn't a big deal, call it normal?
RBEmerson, if your weepage is at the joint of the rear pumpkin to swingarm joint (4 nuts on the flange), I believe there is a weep hole on the bottom side... again, minor weepage from the pumpkin seal to driveshaft as long as no dripping on the ground... just wipe it off and don't worry about it too much. Easy enough to pull the pumpkin at your next tire change and have a peek to satisfy your curiosity.
Damir and the Ferret like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 01:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have a good riding buddy with a 1600. In the first 2 months the reverse went out, but BMW fixed that and doubled his warranty (No Japanese co would do that) and now at 22,000 miles it has been recalled (transmission I believe). None the less, it's his dream bike and he loves it.

We were out in Colorado riding passes and canyons on our CB 1100's and were eating dinner at a small steak house when a guy on a 1600 pulled in with full Akrapovics. By buddy looked at it and listened to it and said "I'm going to get one of those", and he did, Akrapovics and all. Dreams can come true lol. Plus he found 2 guys in his town that are hard core BMW riders he has hooked up with.They rode out to Alberta last summer and he had a blast. He's totally hooked in the BMW lifestyle now. He would have never considered a BMW flat twin.
mortenk and Damir like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #93 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

I went to a BMW rally summer before last on my FJR and I wasn't the only one there on an FJR. Me and another guy were standing around looking at the bikes when he said..."Those (R1200RT) are just so but ugly!". I thought about that for a moment and had to agree.I know I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape

post #94 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 09:40 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
OTOH my '17 FJR has developed a lubricant leak that may be related to the rear suspension. At least it looks oily. It's about as viscous as cold differential oil but isn't coming from the "banjo". Given there's under 5K (sigh...) on the clock, that ain't what I expected. Grrr...

My 2018A had the same issue. The seal went on the rear shock and had to be replaced. Rather than put another OEM shock, I went with a Penske, which I like better anyway. But, just pointing out that there is something going on with the recent rear shocks.

Dan
passx likes this.

Last edited by dcumpian; 12-04-2019 at 09:44 AM.
post #95 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 12:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

Hmm no issue I've noted on my 2018A with 22,500 miles on it, but then I'm not that attentive/observant. Nothing has dripped on the ground since I bought it new. I can assure you of that.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #96 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:12 AM
Farkle Trainee

Funny I so wanted to like the RT but the longer I ride one the less I care for them. By the end of a day on a boxer Im really ready to be done with it. Exact opposite is true for my FJR. I had a hard time warming up to the bike but it just works and I enjoy riding it. Every time I get on it I just want to go and go.
post #97 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldscheisser View Post
Cycle Springs in Clearwater, FL has a brand new 2018 FJR 1300A for sale at $16,400, and I'm quite sure you could get it for $16k.
That's a couple hundred dollars more than what I got my brand new 2019 "ES" for in September.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #98 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:44 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
I have a good riding buddy with a 1600. In the first 2 months the reverse went out, but BMW fixed that and doubled his warranty (No Japanese co would do that) and now at 22,000 miles it has been recalled (transmission I believe). None the less, it's his dream bike and he loves it.

We were out in Colorado riding passes and canyons on our CB 1100's and were eating dinner at a small steak house when a guy on a 1600 pulled in with full Akrapovics. By buddy looked at it and listened to it and said "I'm going to get one of those", and he did, Akrapovics and all. Dreams can come true lol. Plus he found 2 guys in his town that are hard core BMW riders he has hooked up with.They rode out to Alberta last summer and he had a blast. He's totally hooked in the BMW lifestyle now. He would have never considered a BMW flat twin.
I know I’ve posted my experiences before, but I will again. I had a 2013 and a 2015 1600. I kept them both three years and a combined 60,000 miles. I did have a few of the well known problems, but nothing that kept me off the road.

They were very nice bikes, and I would tell anyone that if the bike trips your trigger, buy it. I ultimately went back to the FJR as my long distance bike for four basic reasons.

1). $10,000 cheaper. I’m retired now. Money matters
2). The 1600 is a much roomier two up bike. But my wife never rides with me any more.
3). Im more confident keeping the FJR much longer and I’m able to get the YES warranty for about $400. I can rack up a lot of miles feeling better about the reliability, and even if I have to sell the FJR for practically nothing five years from now my overal cost of ownership will be far less than the 1600
4) The FJR handles the twisties better. The 1600 would keep up with it, but the FJR simply feels subjectively better pushing through curves.
dcumpian and JunkJacket like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT

Last edited by jjscsix; 12-05-2019 at 09:48 AM.
post #99 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Hmm no issue I've noted on my 2018A with 22,500 miles on it, but then I'm not that attentive/observant. Nothing has dripped on the ground since I bought it new. I can assure you of that.

No drips on the ground, just a bunch of dirty oily accumulation at the bottom of the shock where the adjustment ring is. I don't know how common it is, but the dealer told me I wasn't the first.

Dan
post #100 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 10:13 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post

1). $10,000 cheaper. Im retired now. Money matters
2). ... my wife never rides with me any more.
3). ...feeling better about the reliability,
4) The FJR handles the twisties better.

#1. DITTO
#2. DITTO
#3. DITTO
#4. I'll take your word on it.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page