S.S. Brake bar - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
S.S. Brake bar

Hi All,
General Chat may not be the best thread to ask these questions, but here they are.
Farklemasters.com web page seems to no longer be up and running. Can anyone tell me if they are out of business? I am looking for the S.S. Brake bar so I can darkside my 2013. Is there anywhere else I can purchase a S.S. Bar or do any of you have one you want to sell?
Since the last FJR I had darksided was about 10 years ago, can anyone tell what tire they like and pressure they have been running in it?
As always, any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Ride safe..................Jeff

"To ride is the reason,
The destination the excuse."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 10:58 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Who boy, darkside! I didn't bother with the SS one, I just made my own. I just went to Tractor Supply and got a piece of cold rolled flat bar, cut & drilled it, wire brushed it really well, heated it to 180-200*F and painted it rattle can flat black engine enamel. 2 coats. It's been 5 or 6 yrs, hasn't chipped yet!

I liked the Michelin Exalto best for pavement, not so much on dirt roads. It's been discontinued. I liked the original General G-Max AS-03 for dirt roads better, it did pavement fine, a little harder turn-in than the Exalto. It's also been discontinued. Those are the only two I've run so far so I'm interested too in what others may be running. I think I destroyed my fairly new Exalto last weekend that I got new from a fellow member here. I ran around 32-34 psi on both.

There's a few DarkSide tire threads here, search around.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those that don't DarkSide: your bike, your choice. Same for everyone else. We all understand how strongly people are divided on this topic, no need to spout your personal safety concerns or whatever- if you can't contribute peacefully to what the man is seeking then please don't.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:12 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those that don't DarkSide: your bike, your choice. Same for everyone else. We all understand how strongly people are divided on this topic, no need to spout your personal safety concerns or whatever- if you can't contribute peacefully to what the man is seeking then please don't.
+1. I alway am interested in what riders do and why they do it. Many times I say to myself, "My ride, my choice". I am fascinated by this topic and the length of time riders have been doing it. I also asked similar questions recently in a thread. Although, this is not for me right now, I want to be informed. With all these tires being discontinued, I wonder if it is because there aren't that many small cars on the road with 17" rims?

- Jim,
AMA and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 01:41 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Please tell me more...

Please tell me more...what is a "S.S. Brake bar" and what is meant by "darkside?"

Many thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Hi All,
General Chat may not be the best thread to ask these questions, but here they are.
Farklemasters.com web page seems to no longer be up and running. Can anyone tell me if they are out of business? I am looking for the S.S. Brake bar so I can darkside my 2013. Is there anywhere else I can purchase a S.S. Bar or do any of you have one you want to sell?
Since the last FJR I had darksided was about 10 years ago, can anyone tell what tire they like and pressure they have been running in it?
As always, any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Ride safe..................Jeff

Motorcycles I've Owned:
------------------------
1972 Suzuki TS185
1975 Honda CB360
1982 Yamaha SR 500
2014 Yamaha FJR1300
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 01:55 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Sierra View Post
Please tell me more...what is a "S.S. Brake bar" and what is meant by "darkside?"

Many thanks
"Going To The Dark Side", "Dark Siding", etc. means someone chooses to run a car tire on the rear of his/her/its motorcycle. The "S.S. Brake Bar" is an aftermarket stainless steel rear brake caliper anti-rotation arm, commonly called the rear brake caliper stay or the rear caliper tension bar. Many of us just made our own as I described above. To look up the part, see the rear wheel fiche. From the factory it's a 19mm square tube but for the Dark Side it has to be replaced with a piece of flat bar.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbentnail; 08-24-2018 at 10:28 AM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 01:57 PM
Farkle Trainee

I've used Farklemasters a few times, all with great results. Good guy, fast shipping. He goes by Catfish... I actually bought that same bar from him, so I can attest to it's working.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaughan View Post
I've used Farklemasters a few times, all with great results. Good guy, fast shipping. He goes by Catfish... I actually bought that same bar from him, so I can attest to it's working.
Do you know how I can contact Catfish? I have become lazy in my old age and would rather buy one made of stainless than make my own. If I remember correctly, Farklemasters.com has many great farkles for the FJR! I hope we do not loss such a valuable resource!
Thanks again and ride safe...............Jeff

"To ride is the reason,
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

I hope hes not out of biz-he had some good deals. The address I have is [email protected]

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaughan View Post
I hope hes not out of biz-he had some good deals. The address I have is [email protected]
I sent Catfish an email and it came back undeliverable. I think they may have closed up shop! Do you know of anyone else selling brake bars?
Ride safe...............Jeff

"To ride is the reason,
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

I do not, sorry. Easy enough to make, or maybe ya can send Russ (rbentnail) some $$ and he can make ya one. It is really just a flat bar with the bolt holes cut. Wish ya luck!

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page