'04 Forks Leaking - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

'04 Forks Leaking

Anyone else? Thoughts?

Bit of while back in CA bike had been sitting, discovered spot of oil on floor and right hand fork leaking. Had it fixed and added new springs. 8k on bike.

Not so long ago in NC went to change out tires and discovered right hand fork leaking. Had if fixed along with second set of brake shoes. 17k miles.

A few days ago, discovered right fork was AGAIN LEAKING and this time it was getting carried away with the program! 18k, only some hundreds of miles from last fix.

I believe fully that both "wrenches" were good at thier craft. Both said they didn't see any real reason for the fork to be leaking. Both are well respected by the local bike communities. I found them by glowing referal, not by phone book and location.

I'm going to have the same guy do it again he's going to go slow and check things out more carefully this time than last. I talked to Yamaha parts guy, he talked to his favorite wrench, and they recomended two other parts in the order, which (I didn't ask, took their word) my wrench suspects would be inner and outer bushings, which I thought of last time myself but didn't order.

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I had a similar problem years ago with a FJ1200, kept having to change seals. Eventually a very experienced friend of mine recommended that I glue the seal into position with a special "Locktite" solution designed for the job, can't remember what it was. Problem solved.

The oil was leaking around the outer edge of the seal, not passed the fork leg and the seal.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Jwm
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via MSN to Jwm
The original factory seals in my 01 model last about 6 years and about 70000klms then started leaking. I had them fixed but with 12 months of the repair they were leaking again. Fixed them again but I didn't keep the bike long after that, so I don't know if it was going to be an ongoing issue.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

My '04 has a fork leak. I changed the seals and it still leaked. Chand the fork (compleate) on the leaky right side and it still leaks a little.

2011 FJR1300
IBA # 18877
MSTA # 13066
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Well, I started this thread. Too early to tell, but picked up bike from wrench today. I had picked up new seals, dust caps, bushings, clips and what have you from the dealer. Showed the wrench the input from the fellow with the leaking FJ1200 (I had one, an '86 for many years and thousands of miles) forks that fixed by sealing the fork seals to the fork external.

I asked him to pay close attention to see if he could figure out why I've had three leaks in 18k miles. We ended up ordering a new right fork upper tube. Looks like there were flaws in the finish at a few different points, one or more which were about where the seal would be sitting while on the center stand. Others at various travel points. He tried to polish them out, but they were irregular "pitts" in the finish which would surely have been something that the seal would not be sealing as it traveled over and past, or parked on the center stand. Even after considerable "polishing" the "pitts'w were still more than evident. This time there was a good deal of oil that had puddled on the wheel's rim as it was on the center stand and in a left turn positon.

Too soon to tell, but, we think I shouldn't have anymore fork seal leaks for quite some time. Fingers, Toes, Eyes crossed!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 05:44 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Hmm... thanks for the report.

I hope you're all fixed.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page