2016 FJR ES Check Engine Light and no dampening - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By N4HHE

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

2016 FJR ES Check Engine Light and no dampening

I am new to the forum and I have a 2016 FJR that has been flawless through the first 8,000 miles. In the middle of a 2 hour ride the other day my check engine light came on. I called the dealership and they said it would be 3 weeks before they could even look at it because it is summer. I haven't taken it in yet and I've been trying to see if anyone could help shed some light on the issue before I get it tied up in the dealership. My guess is that it has to do with the electronic suspension. Even though I can toggle between soft, standard and hard, I no longer can adjust the dampening from -3 to +3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:33 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I doubt if the engine light would come on for a suspension fault as the suspension has its own light.
If the engine oil is at the correct level I would think that it is a minor problem

2018 Phantom Blue
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:34 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have cleared the engine light with a cheap odb2 reader and the Torque Pro app (android) several times. You will need an adapter cable as well. Just search in this forum and you will find a lot about this.

Last edited by rogerf; 08-19-2019 at 05:37 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The Check Engine light indicates there is an error code...... which should display in the meter panel when you turn the ignition on. There is a circuit breaker for the rear preload adjuster motor, which will trigger a code if you happened to overload it by using the preload adjuster too much in too short a time... wait a minute or two between adjustments. Nevertheless, that code should be cleared if the CEL does not go out after the breaker cools off (error code will be stored as history).
There is another error code related which will mean you have to do a reset of the rear suspension preload adjuster. There may be other codes related to other stepper motors in the suspension... a letter plus 4 digits, what are you seeing?

You will need a service manual for the code numbers and the procedure for resetting the suspension. You also need an OBD harness and a code reader, '16 and up.
No harm in riding the bike, the light is on and you've lost the adjustment ability as you already know....
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/11-...016-newer.html

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:49 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
The Check Engine light indicates there is an error code...... which should display in the meter panel when you turn the ignition on.
2016+ uses OBD2 just like automobiles and does not display CEL codes on the console.
FJR16fan likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I ordered the cables from fjrowners and OBDII Wifi reader to use with my iphone off eBay. Thought I was buying onshore because the delivery time was in the next couple of days but looks like it could be coming from China after making the purchase. I'll probably be posting again with a code as soon as it arrives . Fortunately I have a service manual and will start studying it in the meantime. Now that I come to think of it, I remember cycling through the ES settings while sitting on the bike which may have confused the computer.

'16ES
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:48 AM
Farkle Trainee

Why donīt you visit another Yamaha dealership, and let them read/reset codes? It can be done in five minutes.

Finnfjr
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

So I have a list of codes here that won't tell me anything unless it is in the service manual which I can access later today. Do the codes look familiar to anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1717.jpg (76.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1716.jpg (69.6 KB, 8 views)

'16ES
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 08:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You need that service manual.....
Just a note on P1601, that is an ignition fault, one cause was key not fully on when started, would cause CEL to come on... there was a recall to address that and it has to be done by the dealer with a reflash of the ECU. You can call any dealer with your VIN to verify the recall was done (or Yamaha).

With a list like that, looks to me the history was never cleared, if the recall was done... not necessarily are any of those a problem, just stored history. If it were mine, I'd check on that recall, if done, then I'd clear the history, see if your suspension adjustment functions came back, if not check new history, perform the preload adjust reset.... check codes again if any, etc.
You DO need that service manual.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page