FJR Owners Forum banner

This is what a new '16 with less than 30 miles looks like...

16K views 58 replies 25 participants last post by  RC65 
#1 ·
Took this shot a couple weeks ago on the way home from picking it up from the dealership:

Changes between then and now include a Yamaha Touring windshield, have a set of GenMar block risers and a two-piece Sargent seat both on order, and got rid of that ugly sticker on the top of the tank. Oh -- and it has a few more miles. :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
You don't know how envious I am !!!!!!
I usually change my bike after about 3 years and 60000 miles, so my lovely Lava Red FJR should have gone last month but the colour choice here in the UK is matt silver, with some odd shiny silver bits thrown in or dark muddy brown grey.
Who ever thought those 2 colours were a good idea must have a warped sense of humour !
The dealer admitted that most people really dislike the matt silver

#5 ·
I think unless they come out with a burnt orange color like the pic below -- which is about as likely as my dog declining a walk or car ride, given their staid color history ('14 excepted) -- I think this '16 blue beauty this will be a very long-term bike. Sure, I'm still in the honeymoon phase with it, but I just can't imagine what else I'd want out of a bike. It even matches my blue helmet that I bought years ago -- kismet! :)

But, yeah, if this ever happened...oh my...

#10 ·
RC65, that blue color does look familiar :) Please let us know how you like the Sargent seat. I think the stocker seems ok comfort wise but the covering seems a bit cheap IMO. Obviously that's easy to change. I can appreciate your choice of the touring screen given my experience so far but I cheaped out and got a clamp on spoiler that adjusts up/down as well as for angle. I received it today so that will be added to the weekend project list. Your making me think I need to take some pictures of mine :p

#11 ·
RC65, that blue color does look familiar :) Please let us know how you like the Sargent seat. I think the stocker seems ok comfort wise but the covering seems a bit cheap IMO.
BigC, I jotted a few thoughts down here (last page, last post):

http://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-f...-joins-fjr-ranks-w-new-16-a-2.html#post997889

It's been nearly non-stop rain here in Seattle since I made that post, though, so don't have much riding time on it yet to make any add'l comments. I hope that changes soon.

#15 ·
R.e. the seat, there are two posts that I made about it in this thread (2nd page, toward the end):

http://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-fj...tml#post997889

R.e. the windshield, I think 14ES has it essentially correct...I found it a little stifling on a hot day we recently had, and the stock shield would have allowed more cooling air in. But then again, when placed a couple inches below eyeline, it reduces wind noise considerably, so the trade-off is, for me, worth it, save for the hottest of days. When all the way down, it provides a fair degree of cooling air, but on particularly hot days the stock shield would work better (but I doubt I'll change it). It is silent when all the way up and between this "still" bubble and heated grips was very nice when it was cold out, but 1). you are looking through it, and 2). I find buffeting/tapping on the top back of my helmet (6'1", 34" inseam) too annoying for serious use, though a little lean forward just about stops it.

#14 ·
Congrats!!! Looks NICE!!!

I've got the Yamaha Touring Shield and Sargent Seat on my '14. Both are good. I've been using the touring shield in the winter. I feel it is too tall for the summer because you don't get enough air to cool you...if you have gear on. It is otherwise good. You look through it at the highest position (if you're 6' 1")

The World Sport seat is WAY better than the stock...Why? Because it is 14" wide compared to the top of the stock seat @ 11" wide. Having a 14" wide ass...this makes a HUGE difference. I sat on the toilet seat lid and slid a seamstress tape under me to measure max width...I'm @ 14" wide. This is the *key* measurement few mention. My KLR650 is only 9" wide...it should come with a coupon book for the chiropractor...

#21 ·
I was a little concerned about using the hairdryer technique near the gas tank (probably unjustifiably so, but...), so just worked at it with my fingernail for about a half-hour, and then cleaned up the remnants with a little gasoline on a soft towel. Looks perfect.

#19 · (Edited)
Re: sticker- mild hair dryer and a credit card or hotel room key card.

I find the stock screen to be a joke. The Yamaha touring screen to be the one it should have been delivered with. The Cee Bailey to be the one for winter. The stock seat is very bad. I've never had to replace a stock seat before the fjr. The Sargent is hard, like an aluminum bleacher seat. But it looks good, is easy to slide around on, and is nice for short rides. Short. The Yamaha Comfort seat is most excellent. More comfort than most will ever need. He laam is a step above that.

#20 ·
#25 ·
Goo Gone is probably better than the stronger Goof Off (which I'd not recommend), but I'd suggest just a little gasoline...perfectly safe on the paint and overcoat (just as it would be if you spilled a little gas filling up the tank), and some gentle rubbing with it on a microfiber cloth took my residue right off.

#27 ·
I took a good number of pics of it a few weeks ago to send as a gallery to a couple folks...thought I'd go ahead and post a few of them here. This is before the installation of the GenMar 1" block risers a couple weeks ago.

(Helpful hint: The closeup of the Yamaha tank badge makes a great monitor wallpaper. :))

#28 · (Edited)
What the heck...since it's the Gallery, I'll keep this thread going with new pics from time to time.

Here's one from yesterday (my first one with my new iPhone 7, which is like night and day compared to my former iPhone 4S, which took the photo that started this thread):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.