'11 FJR 1300 after-market exhaust - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 06:03 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Go for the Beowulf pipes, i fitted them on my 2005 and they look and sound awesome. They provide a deep note without being too obtrusive. At around 3000 rpm the sound is fantastic. Have been fitted now for 5 years, no problems / rust etc. I also found it safer as cars can hear you beside them.
Stock cans look and sound terrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 01:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D UK View Post
Delkevick - three different ones here.

http://youtu.be/dpjnSu8Ff8Q
+3 on the Delkevic's (that's my black beauty in the video) 18 mos. and 7500+ mi. and still lovin 'em ! Joe

LIFE IS LIKE RIDING A BIKE, TO STAY BALANCED YOU HAVE TO KEEP MOVING FORWARD............EINSTEIN
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for all the replies ! If I go with after market I'm assuming I'll need to remap to adjust fuel / air ratios ?

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
No - but a set of P.A.I.R block off plates are suggested.....

WynPro Air Induction Cover Plates

Can be found here
http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...-cover-plates/

Here are some before and after pics.....

PAIR's purpose is to inject air in the exhaust stream under very specific circumstances to try and burn up any remaining fuel in the exhaust for emissions reasons. Getting rid of that feature will not cause any change in how the engine runs, though it might cause the exhaust to be slightly richer under certain circumstances, like at idle and on over-run. The vast majority of the time the PAIR solenoid is commanded closed by the ECU, so the bike runs like the PAIR wasn't there anyway. There is a possibility that the headers will run cooler and the cats will run hotter without PAIR since the cats will then have to burn off any unburned fuel that would have ignited in the header with the PAIR air injected.

The plates serve 2 purposes - clean up the engine bay by getting rid of all those hoses and garbage of the PAIR system that is not needed, and also when you install those aftermarket pipes, elimination of popping sound on deceleration especially for those with louder than normal exhausts (that's the sound of the unburned fuel igniting ahead of the cat).

You can email Dave - WynPro here for info on payment and prices.
[email protected]

There are other ways of doing this, but I think the block off plates are a nice touch and a pretty easy job if you have the tools....

2015 FJR --- The Burninator !!!
2005 FJR --- Trogdor - sold
1986 RWB NightHawk

Last edited by Warpdrv; 04-23-2015 at 10:17 AM.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
That does look a helluva lot cleaner! No harm in doing those PAIR plates, even with just stock pipes?
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 01:12 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSudet View Post
That does look a helluva lot cleaner! No harm in doing those PAIR plates, even with just stock pipes?
No harm whatsoever. I still have stock exhaust and installed these plates just to get rid of the carp that was in the way every yr when I do TBS, spark plug replacement, valve check, etc. I installed mine when I had everything apart and the valve cover off. Easy-peasy.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 01:21 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
No sir - not at all - A great upgrade....

Actually - there have been a number of posters with higher mileage bikes that found over time that the carbon build up on the reed valves under the plates and inside the solenoid will eventually render the system completely useless anyways....

2015 FJR --- The Burninator !!!
2005 FJR --- Trogdor - sold
1986 RWB NightHawk
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 01:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjzeusman View Post
Thanks for all the replies ! If I go with after market I'm assuming I'll need to remap to adjust fuel / air ratios ?
Nah, nothing like "remapping" is necessary as in, I wouldn't go out and buy an expensive fuel controller to do it. If'n you find the need (or want) to adjust a little do the Barbarian jumper mod an the already-onboard digital display.

A lot of us have already done this b/c the USA bikes come set so lean. A tad more fuel in my experience gives better response, better performance and a cooler running engine.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

So I ended up doing the 2-stage mod where I drilled out the welds and then cut a small piece out of the back pipe. I can't tell you what a difference that made !! All for the low, low price of $10 (for the bits) and a bit of my time - thanks for the fantastic suggestion !!!
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjzeusman View Post
So I ended up doing the 2-stage mod where I drilled out the welds and then cut a small piece out of the back pipe. I can't tell you what a difference that made !! All for the low, low price of $10 (for the bits) and a bit of my time - thanks for the fantastic suggestion !!!
Ah yes, commonly known as the Trooper mod. Provides a bit of bark with throttle but keeps the quiet when cruising. I did mine several yrs ago and haven't looked back.
philharmonic likes this.

Russ
2007A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page