Building a faster FJR - Page 9 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

I agree bounce. One of the deciding factors when I traded my 1600 (my second 1600, in fact) for the FJR (and remember I had an FJR ten years ago) is to get what I consider to be a far more reliable bike. I retired six months ago...bought the FJR literally the day after my last day of work. I already am about to hit 10,000 miles on it, and have also put about 8,000 miles on my other two bikes combined in the same time.

If they punch out the displacement so the bike puts out more HP but is still a fairly low stressed engine, I'd be okay. But power is not my first priority with this bike. That I have covered with my other two bikes. As you say, three tools, all for different purposes. I get that I'm fortunate to be able to own three bikes. But if I could only have one of them it would be the FJR. It's not the best at everything, but it's the best compromise of performance and long distance Touring.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX

Last edited by jjscsix; 06-21-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Training wheels fitted!

You might try looking up any info on the other forum or maybe even this one by a member who went by the handle "useless pickles"
I think.
He did a lot of work and documented it with dyno charts, time slips etc. I believe the bike was a 2008 so it might be a few years ago.
Good Luck!
post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:27 AM
Farkle Trainee

So, how fast did it run? Thread started in 2014...

Finnfjr

post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:03 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Finn fjr, if I remember right (questionable) when the fjr was introduced and all the mags at the time were testing it as I remember (again questionable) it ran the 1/4 mile in 10.35-10.78 et’s which I thought was pretty impressive for a bike of it’s weight. Looking at video’s of it on YouTube it typically runs mid to high 11’s with normal riders. The torque of the fjr is it’s biggest attribute in it’s 1/4 mile performanceat 90+ ft/lb which is pretty impressive and not many bike Motors make that much.

To expound on a new fjr (not gonna happen) I think a 1400-1500cc triple based on the current Yamaha 900cc motor with more torque in the neighborhood of 100-110 ft/lb and maybe 150 rwhp and maybe lighten the bike up and move the Cg down would make me look hard at a new one. Why when they did the 6spd they didn’t lower the first 3 gears and make the 6th gear a true o-drive instead of what they did I will never understand although the current 6spd works pretty well.

I will add that the 18es that I rode at the demo days this year had a odd occurrence where when you pulled the clutch in and the moved the foot shifter there was a distinct bump felt in the clutch lever, seems to be the only one that does that and I truly don’t know why/what would do that but it did.

Anyway, the 14a that I have just makes me smile but I truly wish the Cg was lower as the low/no speed top heaviness is truly a problem but that all goes away once moving.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 09-17-2019 at 07:05 AM.
post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:04 AM
Farkle Trainee

Passx, I was wondering if NMrider
did walk the line with nitrous, turbos, whipple compressor, high comp pistons, hot cams and long tube headers

Finnfjr
post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 12:42 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I know this is late for the thread (have been away for a while), but I have nitrous on my '08 and also before on an '05. Also a purge system. Also have the same system on my Blackbird. Pretty failsafe - it's a fogger system with dual tanks mounted above the slip-ons. You control the amount of HP by the size of the nozzle (3 choices). I used it a lot on the Blackbird and the '05-only once on the '08-never any problems-
rbentnail likes this.
post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 08:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Not cool, dood! You tempted everyone with the hint but didn't give a link to the kit you used.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 02:32 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Trade Secret! OOPS! All parts are from Dynotune-
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...ts/default.asp

I'll post some pictures of the set-up if I can figure out having been away awhile. I had trouble getting back onto the forum so I just came back under a new name-I'm the old "Karmak."
post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 02:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Finn fjr, if I remember right (questionable) when the fjr was introduced and all the mags at the time were testing it as I remember (again questionable) it ran the 1/4 mile in 10.35-10.78 etís which I thought was pretty impressive for a bike of itís weight. Looking at videoís of it on YouTube it typically runs mid to high 11ís with normal riders. The torque of the fjr is itís biggest attribute in itís 1/4 mile performanceat 90+ ft/lb which is pretty impressive and not many bike Motors make that much.

To expound on a new fjr (not gonna happen) I think a 1400-1500cc triple based on the current Yamaha 900cc motor with more torque in the neighborhood of 100-110 ft/lb and maybe 150 rwhp and maybe lighten the bike up and move the Cg down would make me look hard at a new one. Why when they did the 6spd they didnít lower the first 3 gears and make the 6th gear a true o-drive instead of what they did I will never understand although the current 6spd works pretty well.

I will add that the 18es that I rode at the demo days this year had a odd occurrence where when you pulled the clutch in and the moved the foot shifter there was a distinct bump felt in the clutch lever, seems to be the only one that does that and I truly donít know why/what would do that but it did.

Anyway, the 14a that I have just makes me smile but I truly wish the Cg was lower as the low/no speed top heaviness is truly a problem but that all goes away once moving.
ORRR a 12/1300cc version of the crossplanes they are putting in the mt10 or R1. That would be downright hairy to ride ...and the sound would be

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page