-18 MotoGP Season - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:12 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
I think it is unreasonable to think that people will not discuss the final results of a race on a thread about racing. I would not put the results in the title, but once a person enters the thread then all bets are off.

So that being said, glad that Dovi won and Rossi was competitive. Better still is that Dovi was able to out race Marquez despite his best efforts to get by the Duc. I have hopes that this year will again be a season long battle between Dovi and Marquez for the championship, but with a different outcome than last year. Lorenzo's DNF is okay by me and Vinales was a disappointment.

I am not a fan of Marquez but recognize that he is a phenomenal talent that is among the greatest to ever to compete. I am also impressed by his attitude at the post race interview. He was obviously happy about having a been in a good race with other competitive riders, he admitted he gave it his best shot to get around Dovi and could not do it and made no excuses for being second. He seems to really enjoy racing, and that, given his talent, makes him an even bigger threat to win several more championships.
Liquidsilver, Koda and FjrjrF like this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 03-20-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:54 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Kevin, I agree with you, once one goes into the thread it shouldn't be spoiler alert attitude. If I hadn't seen the race yet, I wouldn't click on the thread.

Curious your resentment to Marquez. Your last paragraph was nicely worded and precise in observation. I really am enjoying this and last season where Dorma (MotoGP) made all teams use the same electronics. No longer is it a runaway of 2 factory teams. It is GREAT to see both factory and independant teams compete at the front. This past Sunday's race was more like a moto3 race with 5 to 6 contenders swapped turns at the front, even though Zarco lead most the race, and amazes me, that his Yamaha independent team beats the factory team for most the race. Once he gets comfortable with harder compound tires and tire management, Zarco will be unstoppable. That is a learned experience that Dovi and Marquez have mastered.

It is also great that Dovi is such a calculated rider, he is among the best. He keeps his cards close to the chest during practice, and qualifying, not divulging what Ducati has up their sleeve until race day. Ducati now has a great team behind a great rider, with the speed to match.

Another great thing to observe is the camaraderie amongst riders after the race. On the track they are fierce rivals for the front and with their lives. They mostly put it behind them after the race, at least... most do.

This will be the best year in MotoGP in a long time, and I think everyone's fav rider and team has a shot.
Koda likes this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 09:13 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I will be at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin in April. Cant wait. Hope Rossi can pull it off but he seems to struggle with that track. Marquez seems to love it.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
[QUOTE=FjrjrF;1139193] Kevin, Curious your resentment to Marquez. QUOTE]

I too am not a Marquez fan. I was in Moto2....and I was "really" happy when he moved into GP.....but after the flag dropped, he was banging into too many riders for my liking. Maybe Simoncelli was still raw in my head. I remember Lorenzo complaining about Marco's style and the press/crowd laughed at Marco's light hearted approach to Lorenzo's complaining.....and that all left a bad taste in my mouth for the over aggressive riding of it all. I liked Sic, but he frustrated me....and I'm very sad for the outcome of it all. Marc frustrated me as well....and the year Lorenzo won and Marquez was messing with Valy.....it only drove the stake in deeper for my "not" cheering for the Honda rider. Anyway.....nough said there.....it's all awesomeness racing right now....and I'm so glad we don't have the run-aways of old. Even though I really miss Stoner!!!!!

Again.....why does anybody feel that Honda does not find a way to put some weight on Pedrosa's bike and get him some heat in those tyres? Just wondering........

ps....Zarco is a stud!!!!
Scott_H likes this.

"Ride On"

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 12:20 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
I do not resent Marquez. Just said Iím not a fan and then went on to provide a positive assessment of him as a racer.
FjrjrF likes this.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:41 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
1) As a major Rossi fan....boooo to Yamaha to not fixing the M1 completely. The bike still has hook-up problems.
2) Boooo to Honda....Marquez pi$$e$ me off..... :/
3) Woot to KTM for their aggressiveness on starting up a new team next year. Bold move Herve P.
4) Woot to Franco Morbidelli for his accomplishments.

I am "really" hoping that some how Rossi could pull off another title....but.....
Zarco is my new guy.....after Rossi retires. And I'm looking forward to getting to know Morbidelli.
I'm hoping the best for Andrea Iannone and Scott Redding. They could use a break.

Question: Dani Padrosa....Honda.... Dani is an awesome rider. Dani has problems getting/keeping heat in his tyres during races. Why doesn't Honda add weight to Dani's bike to allow him to get more weight on board and hook that rear tyre up? It seems strange to me to stay with one rider for soooo many years and watch him struggle with the same issue year after year and not get the problem fixed. Does anybody have any deeper thoughts on this subject?
I waited to open this thread until I had seen the race. So yes, as long as guys don't announce the results in the subject line, I won't threaten them with violence.

Racing at this level is far beyond just fixing something like weight, engine mapping or tire choice. The guy that comes in LAST place in this series has supernatural riding ability that ordinary humans can't comprehend. Then the top-10 riders make that guy look pitiful. And in the top 5, the laws of space and time just bend. Then Rossi, Marquez, Dovi or Zarco have something else magical that puts them over the top. Maverick Vinialez looked like he was going to develop into a dominator... where did he go? Fastest guy I ever shared a track with, Ben Spies... just walked away. At that level, it's like a spiritual thing.

When I'm riding with mere AMA qualifiers, I'm wondering how the gravity I'm using doesn't work like the gravity they're using. Then Jason DiSalvo or Chris Ulrich will pass me like I'm on a squeaky tricycle. I find it hard not to appreciate the talent on display everywhere in MotoGP.

Marquez is incredible. I root for Rossi because he's the old man, and a dynamo for the sport. I met Pedrosa at Laguna Seca and you won't meet a nicer guy. I love it when Dovi wins because he's paid his dues for so long, and been a real class guy when circumstances treated him very badly. (Like teammate Iannone taking him out repeatedly.)

I too see the rocket thrust of the Ducati down the straight and wonder why Honda can't match it... but they aren't slouches. Something messes up the balance when they raise the boost. Even the M1 seems to have better grunt out of the corner than the Honda, but when they change something by a millimeter, it upsets the balance somewhere else.

I'm fortunate that I can see the Bein Sports channel at work, so I sequester the break room to watch the races. Maybe I'll break down and pay for the MotoGP app so the family can see the races too... I'm getting to be a tightwad in my old age.

Koda and FjrjrF like this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

I Don't have BeIN Sports so I had a membership the last 3 years at MotoGP but gave it up this year. The streaming was horrible (maybe my internet speed IDK) so I didn't renew this year and will probably miss not being able to watch but oh well....
Like most said I'm rooting for Rossi being real old myself and yeah what the **** is wrong with Mavrick!!! Should give his ride to Zarco. Marquez is a **** of a rider but I hope Dovi beats him, he just rubs me wrong although his stupid smile makes it hard not to like him.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 07:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
The bright spot for Vinales is that he was the fastest rider for much of the second half of the race.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 10:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew1 View Post
I Don't have BeIN Sports so I had a membership the last 3 years at MotoGP but gave it up this year. The streaming was horrible (maybe my internet speed IDK) so I didn't renew this year and will probably miss not being able to watch but oh well....
Like most said I'm rooting for Rossi being real old myself and yeah what the **** is wrong with Mavrick!!! Should give his ride to Zarco. Marquez is a **** of a rider but I hope Dovi beats him, he just rubs me wrong although his stupid smile makes it hard not to like him.
The MotoGp site has streaming with HTML5 playback this year. It works so much better. I tried it for Sunday's race and it was smooth with no buffering or stutter.

Blchandl2
'15 FJR1300 (Primer)
PEACE, Something to shoot for.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Fine assessments, discussions, and comments concerning this level of racing. Liquidsilver and Pterodactyl, I couldn't have said it finer. I am a Marquez fan. I enjoy his racing need! He doesn't quit like Lorenzo when crap goes bad, doesn't quit when the title is in the bag, he still pushes the continuum of physics. I believe he'll personally enjoy this year more than the past because there is competition for the front, and, once one has the front, they have to battle to keep it. He races because he loves the battle... If it weren't for Marquez, Honda probably wouldn't even have been a consideration for the last 5 years.

Stoner also had that never give up attitude which made it a pleasure watching him on Ducati and then Honda rides. He is back with Ducati now behind the scenes. I seen him lose the front end of the Honda in the rain in Germany on the last lap on a curve at top speed that he knew he would lose it, just to get past the front rider. That! at those speeds, is competition in the blood. Stoner always complained of the lack of competition and the too slow independant teams when he used to lap them on the Honda. I think he would enjoy today's racing. He was my favorite rider to watch, his early retirement led to Marquez's move to Honda GP. As Liquidsilver says, these boys are not human with their abilities, and have mutual respect off track for each other it seems.

Now, my reason for writing this reply. Most of my friends don't ride and can't understand why I do still ride. They never will. When we get to partying Saturday night and friends crash overnight at the house because of a little much. They can't understand how I got myself up on Sunday morning soooo early and am watching a race live. Then.... the transformation happens. They start asking questions of the riders, and by half way through the race they are cheering riders probably because of color combinations! Ha! What is remarkable to the non consumer of motorcycle racing is the danger involved and the sheer talent of these guys to do this. That to me is worth the price of the motoGP subscription, to see their enthusiasm in a race that they didn't even know existed.
Liquidsilver, rfjr and Koda like this.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page