Turkey Moto GP - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Turkey Moto GP

QUALIFYING 1 REPORT - 21/04/2007

Perfect qualifying for FIAT Yamaha Team in Istanbul

Valentino Rossi and Colin Edwards put themselves in the best possible starting positions for tomorrow's Grand Prix of Turkey with a one-two in today's Official Qualifying. Shaking off the mild set-up problems they had encountered on yesterday's dirty track, the pair worked steadily on fine-tuning their 800cc YZR-M1s throughout the majority of the hour-long session before posting the best flying laps on qualifying tyres to take the top two spots on the grid for tomorrow's 22-lap race.

With the weather staying dry once again the grip on track was considerably better than yesterday and Rossi's eventual pole time of 1'52.795 was just inside the existing lap record, although still slightly slower than last year's pole time. The Italian moved into pole with eight minutes remaining after his first flying lap before consolidating his position with another even faster lap on his second qualifying tyre soon after. Rossi's second pole of the season and ninth consecutive front row start puts him in a strong position to challenge for a win at one of only three circuits on this year's calendar where he has yet to stand on top of the podium. Edwards' second qualifying lap of 1'52.944 was good enough for second position behind his team-mate and the American will start ahead of Dani Pedrosa, who mounted a strong challenge in the closing stages but finished 0.027 adrift of the American.
Valentino Rossi
Position: 1stTime: 1'52.795Laps: 24

"I'm very happy to have a pole position at this track, which has never been one of my favourites! I've had some bad moments here in the past but this year it feels like a different track for me and I'm having great fun! My M1 is very competitive, a lot more fun to ride here than in the past and the new modifications we have for our engine have made an important difference to our overall performance. The team has done a great job because we had some problems yesterday but they've found some good solutions and now Colin and I are first and second. My tyres are working well and we've found the right front for tomorrow. We need to make a final decision about the rear in the morning. With the qualifying tyre my bike really flew and I was able to do a very good lap; I started my first lap a few minutes earlier than the others and then I knew that I could improve a little bit more with the second qualifying tyre. Anyway all three of us are very close on the front row so I think it's going to be a tight battle tomorrow. Let's hope for good weather and see what happens."

Colin Edwards
Position: 2ndTime: 1'52.944Laps: 21

"Well after the problems we had yesterday I've got to say a massive thanks to my team. They looked at the issues, got out their protractors, did their maths and worked their magic like always! The Michelin qualifier really sticks like glue for us this year and I was able to really push it. I thought I was going to run into traffic at one point on my last lap but I just kept my head down and somehow came out the other side in front. It was definitely a mistake-free lap. As for tomorrow, we need to work a little bit on our race pace - two tenths would be good but three would be even better! I think we're losing it in T3 so we need to concentrate on that part of the track. We've moved onto a different front from the 'old faithful' we've been using so far this year because that one was a little bit too close to the limit here, but it's working really well so we just need to make a final decision on the rear. It's a great result for the team to have us both on the front row again so let's hope to make the most of it with a similar result tomorrow!"

Davide Brivio - Team Director
"Of course this is a great qualifying result for us and it's really good to be starting tomorrow's race like this. This year our bike is working very well and both Valentino and Colin are able to enjoy the qualifying in a way that they weren't always able to last year. Our bike seems to be in great shape for qualifying this season as is shown by the results - Valentino has been on the front row in all three races and Colin twice. The team have done a great job as usual as they had a few problems to fix after yesterday, so well done to them. Our situation for tomorrow's race isn't so bad either but it's very important to be starting in front as it's going to be a hard battle. We have a few things to check with both riders in the warm-up tomorrow and some fine-tuning to do, but we can definitely be competitive and fight until the end."

Qualifying 1

Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Total Time
1, Valentino Rossi, Yamaha, ITA, 1'52.795
2, Colin Edwards, Yamaha, USA, 1'52.944
3, Daniel Pedrosa, Honda, ESP, 1'52.971
4, Casey Stoner, Ducati, AUS, 1'53.375
5, Loris Capirossi, Ducati, ITA, 1'53.559
6, Nicky Hayden, Honda, USA, 1'53.613
7, John Hopkins, Suzuki, USA, 1'53.637
8, Randy De Puniet, Kawasaki, FRA, 1'53.706
9, Chris Vermeulen, Suzuki, AUS, 1'53.771
10, Toni Elias, Honda, ESP, 1'53.835
11, Olivier Jacque, Kawasaki, FRA, 1'53.847
12, Shinya Nakano, Honda, JPN, 1'53.988
13, Alex Barros, Ducati, BRA, 1'54.082
14, Marco Melandri, Honda, ITA, 1'54.143
15, Makoto Tamada, Yamaha, JPN, 1'54.206
16, Carlos Checa, Honda, ESP, 1'54.221
17, Alex Hofmann, Ducati, GER, 1'54.421
18, Kenny Roberts, KR212V, USA, 1'54.527
19, Sylvain Guintoli, Yamaha, FRA, 1'54.845

Yamaha Racing Communications
Hoogte Kadijk 61 / 1018 BE Amsterdam / The Netherlands
T. +31 (0) 20 625 6539 / F. +31 (0) 20 420 9470
E. [email protected] W. http://www.yamaha-racing.com

Should be a real good one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via MSN to alman
So much for your long winded posting.
Didn't turn out much like expected , did it now. Great race.
But reckon matey boy who won. must be peed off. . don't think they showed any of him racing 3rd spot was where the action was...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Here have another long winded post...............
RACE REPORT - 22/04/2007

Disappointment for Rossi and Edwards on unlucky day in Turkey

High hopes for Valentino Rossi and Colin Edwards went unfulfilled today as the Fiat Yamaha Team riders, who started from first and second on the grid, were both victims of bad luck at Istanbul Park. The pair got a good start and were leading the pack into turn one before Edwards dropped back as he was unable to get enough heat into his tyre and Rossi made a mistake and ran wide at turn eleven. Disaster then struck for Edwards as he was hit from behind by another rider and sent tumbling into the gravel trap in a crash that involved four riders in total. Rossi meanwhile seemed to be going well and had fought back to second behind eventual winner Casey Stoner, before he suffered a serious rear tyre problem that forced him to roll off the gas and drop right back through the field. The Italian had to use all his talents to keep himself in the race and he eventually brought his Yamaha home in tenth position, taking what were a creditable six points under the circumstances.

Rossi now drops to second place in the championship standings, ten points behind Stoner and 15 ahead of Dani Pedrosa, who was also involved in the first-lap crash. Edwards' unlucky non-finish, only the second in his Yamaha career, means he drops down to sixth. The Fiat Yamaha Team have a one-day test planned tomorrow although Edwards will wait until the morning to confirm if he will ride after badly bruising his knee when he was knocked down.
Valentino Rossi
Position: 10th Time: +18.999

"We are very disappointed today because we had high expectations for this race, but instead we had some unexpected problems with the tyre and it's been a disaster for us. Yesterday and this morning the same race tyre felt good but unfortunately today something happened to it after some laps and I couldn't fulfil the potential we had here. We don't know the reason yet for the problem but now Michelin are trying to understand what happened. I had a great start and was leading on the first lap, although I made a mistake at turn eleven when I ran wide and dropped to fifth. However at that stage my bike was working very well and I was able to fight back to second; I felt sure that I was going to have a good battle with Stoner! Sadly though, after ten or eleven laps, the tyre started to lose all grip and I had to slow right down because I was quite scared. It felt like there was a big problem with the tyre and I had to go very carefully just to finish. We were very unlucky today, we started first and second but Colin crashed when he was hit and then I had this problem. I'm also quite unhappy with Elias today because I think he was quite dangerous - more than once he passed me on the inside and then altered his line. This is not a correct way to race. We're all quite sad tonight but we have many more races so we will look forward now to China."

Colin Edwards
Position: DNF Time:

"I got a great start but I had some problems getting heat into the rear tyre, which we were expecting at the start anyway. As a result I couldn't corner so well and I slipped right back on that first lap. Then Valentino ran off the track a bit at the fast right turn and I think everyone was checking up a bit and looking at him instead of thinking about the next corner! It seemed that everyone around me ran a bit wide into turn 12 but I braked normally and went underneath them when Jacque hit me from behind and I went down. I'm not badly hurt but my knee took a bit of a bang and it's swollen up quite a lot. It's pretty disappointing because we know my bike was working well and once I got some heat into the tyre it might have been a good race."
Davide Brivio - Team Director
"A very difficult and disappointing race for us! Colin was very unlucky as he was hit from behind through no fault of his own and there was no way for him to avoid the crash. He has some bad bruising to his knee but we hope it's nothing too serious. Valentino made a mistake on lap one but he recovered well and it looked like he was set for a good race, but we had some problems with the tyre. We'd chosen the hardest and best tyre that we had available to us but it wasn't enough to fight with our competitors today. We now have to work with Michelin during tomorrow's test to understand why this happened and learn from the mistake. It was very hard for Valentino to keep going until the end in this situation but he didn't give up and took some valuable points; we're still second in the championship so let's move on from here and look forward to China."
Turkish delight for Dunlop Yamaha Tech 3 Team
After a drama charged Grand Prix of Turkey the Dunlop Yamaha Tech 3 Team can leave Istanbul extremely satisfied as riders Makoto Tamada and Sylvain Guintoli scored more championship points finishing in 14th and 15th spots respectively.

In what is shaping as the most intensely contested MotoGP Championship on record, both riders were extremely fortunate not to be involved in a spectacular opening lap crash that caused three riders to retire, as the Dunlop Yamaha Tech 3 pilots were forced to take evasive action to stay in the race.
Losing vital seconds in the melee, both riders recovered composure rapidly to give chase to the quickly disappearing pack and with determined rides closed the gap to the leaders over the remainder of the race to finish just 30 seconds from a podium finish.

Confirming the continuing development of both the new generation Dunlop tyres and the 800cc Yamaha's that have made their debut in the new look championship in 2007, both riders consistently lapped the 5.340km Istanbul Park circuit over a second quicker than last year.

Makoto Tamada
Position: 14th Time: +38.540

The race wasn't so bad for me after Jerez but I need to find more consistency in myself. I had a good tyre as in the first few laps I could push very hard. It then dropped off a little but then the consistency remained the same.
In the first lap I lost a bit as I had to ride around a long way to avoid the bikes on the track. I rode very hard to try and make up the difference but this is where I think I used a bit of the rear tyre trying to catch up to everyone. During the race I had a good battle with Shinya Nakano and my teammate Sylvain so things are getting better but the tyre remained consistent in its level of grip.
I am working well with the team as we get to know each other and I am getting more and more confidence with the Dunlop tyres after being on other makes of tyres for many years. I feel that with the improvements we are making with the bike and the help from Dunlop that our results will improve at every race, as long as there are not too many crashes in front of me!

Sylvain Guintoli
Position: 15th Time:+39.337

Overall it was a good weekend. After Qatar and Jerez where we did some testing, this track was completely new to me. In the first lap I had to do a bit of gardening to miss the accident in front of me on the first lap and I think I lost about 10 seconds so it was a race against the clock to come back to the pack. On the last lap I had passed Makoto but unfortunately braking at the end of the straight I hit a bit of footpeg from the big crash that was still on the track and I lost the front and nearly crashed.
One point is good again, especially here where I thought it would be more difficult but I think I could've been closer to the front than 30 seconds except for missing the crash and that little incident on the last lap.
We always knew we had a good front tyre and now we have found some new information to improve the front but especially the most important was the rear tyre. Dunlop has made some big improvements with the rear tyre as it was very consistent the entire race and allowed us to go much faster than last year as I have done faster lap times than Carlos Checa did last year in the dry.
This weekend has given me a lot more confidence as I feel these tyres are much better than a lot of people think so I am hoping for a race soon where we can get everything to gel together.
Herve Poncharal - Dunlop Yamaha Tech 3 Team Director
I am reasonably satisfied with the result of the weekend as we are again in the points and towards the end of the race, we were quicker than a few riders in front of us and this proves that we are becoming more competitive at each race and that the new tyre rules are working. I am extremely happy with Sylvain and feel that if he wasn't involved in the first lap drama that he would have scored more points than the single one that he claimed. He came back strongly and was very consistent the entire race, competing together with Shinya Nakano and Carlos Checa. The most encouraging sign for us was that we were only 30 seconds from third place and this proves to me the improvement that is being made to the entire package as last year we struggled here and this year it is a lot better result for us
We are staying here to test tomorrow and we have quite a few things to test especially in the tyre department. We have to keep it in perspective though as we are not going to climb ten steps at once but from the beginning of the season we are consistent and we are steadily improving.

Race 1 - 22 Laps

Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Total Time
1, Casey Stoner, Ducati, AUS, 42'2.850
2, Toni Elias, Honda, ESP, 0'6.207
3, Loris Capirossi, Ducati, ITA, 0'8.102
4, Alex Barros, Ducati, BRA, 0'8.135
5, Marco Melandri, Honda, ITA, 0'8.289
6, John Hopkins, Suzuki, USA, 0'10.186
7, Nicky Hayden, Honda, USA, 0'10.239
8, Randy De Puniet, Kawasaki, FRA, 0'14.734
9, Alex Hofmann, Ducati, GER, 0'16.042
10, Valentino Rossi, Yamaha, ITA, 0'18.999
11, Chris Vermeulen, Suzuki, AUS, 0'26.249
12, Carlos Checa, Honda, ESP, 0'29.546
13, Shinya Nakano, Honda, JPN, 0'36.922
14, Makoto Tamada, Yamaha, JPN, 0'38.540
15, Sylvain Guintoli, Yamaha, FRA, 0'39.337
16, Kenny Roberts, KR212V, USA, 1'9.336

Rider Standings 22/04/2007

Pos., Rider, Manu., Nat., Points
1, Casey Stoner, Ducati, AUS, 61
2, Valentino Rossi, Yamaha, ITA, 51
3, Daniel Pedrosa, Honda, ESP, 36
4, Toni Elias, Honda, ESP, 35
5, Marco Melandri, Honda, ITA, 30
6, Nicky Hayden, Honda, USA, 26
7, Colin Edwards, Yamaha, USA, 26
8, Alex Barros, Ducati, BRA, 25
9, John Hopkins, Suzuki, USA, 23
10, Chris Vermeulen, Suzuki, AUS, 21
11, Loris Capirossi, Ducati, ITA, 20
12, Shinya Nakano, Honda, JPN, 15
13, Carlos Checa, Honda, ESP, 14
14, Alex Hofmann, Ducati, GER, 12
15, Randy De Puniet, Kawasaki, FRA, 11
16, Makoto Tamada, Yamaha, JPN, 4
19, Sylvain Guintoli, Yamaha, FRA, 3

Team Standings 22/04/2007

Pos., Team, Points
1, Ducati Marlboro Team, 812, FIAT Yamaha Team, 773, Honda Gresini, 654, Repsol Honda Team, 625, Rizla Suzuki, 446, Pramac D'Antin, 377, Kawasaki Racing Team, 158, Konica Minolta Honda, 159, Honda LCR, 1410, Tech3 Yamaha, 711, Team Roberts, 3

Manufacturer Standings 22/04/2007

Pos., Manufacturer, Points

1, Ducati, 61
2, Honda, 56
3, Yamaha, 51
4, Suzuki, 30
5, Kawasaki, 15
6, KR212V, 3

Yamaha Racing Communications
Hoogte Kadijk 61 / 1018 BE Amsterdam / The Netherlands
T. +31 (0) 20 625 6539 / F. +31 (0) 20 420 9470

This should explain to you why it turned out the way it did.........Oh it also gives you matey boy's name.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Someone tell Starcruiser that Michelin are no longer the greatest tire in the world, and look who's figuring it out!!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

20 valves wrote:

Quote:
Someone tell Starcruiser that Michelin are no longer the greatest tire in the world, and look who's figuring it out!!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 04:59 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Well Iím back from Turkey GP guess where I was sitting yes Stand 8 the twisty bit before the main strait.

All the races were bang on, just watching Bradley Smith catch the main pack was amazing (next British Hero) which were beating the crap out of each other. Felt sorry for Pasini when Olive bike's was fine. Webb & Coghlan didnít do to bad either.

Dovi ran a brilliant race drafting the Aprilia's down the long straits then leaving them in the twisties

Jacque Attack remember when he was in 250's well he went one further as you would have seen. Over all a bit of a scrappy race but good to watch all the same. Elias was running on drugs and backing the Honda in everywhere, Hayden did well on the Michelinís he was trying hard, Stoner was just on a different planet, Hopkins was riding really well and then took on Elias and lost got pushed out wide like Rossi and another 2 went past with him. For me the rider to watch was Vermulen he was a demon on the breaks into turn 12 got past Jr but when he reeled in Checa it was amazing
The locals were good race fans as they cheered on anyone that had bad luck ie, Vermulen etc but they didnít know who was who had to tell them which one was Rossi etc.

The advertising Banners were wrong they had a WSB Suzuki on them Corserís bike from last year someone is going to get a slap.

I will have to edit race photo's as riders are too small at the mo.

FJR gone sorry chaps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:18 PM
FJR Top Gun

If you think the GP riders are too small at the moment, what about the wee little buggers that go horse racing?

"How was he so fast?...We now know his pants were on fire."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 01:39 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshman
If you think the GP riders are too small at the moment, what about the wee little buggers that go horse racing?
Pedrosa is horse jockey size, no bigger.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page