FJR Owners Forum banner

Winter sucks in Canada

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  RaYzerman 
#1 ·
Yesterday was the last double digit temperatures over 10oC. We've already had snow on the ground and the pavement is already white with road salt. Snow flurries are in the forecast for the next 7 days...

Took the bikes out for a last run, topped up the tanks with premium (hopefully low ethanol) fuel, changed the engine oil, and parked the bikes for winter. Maybe today I will give them a wash, let them dry, and put the storage covers on.

Nothing to look forward to for the next 4 months other than covid lock downs. Can't even play hockey anymore due to covid restrictions.

At least I have a steering head bearing swap planned and some mods to add my old automotive GPS to look forward to! What do you guys plan on for your bikes this winter?

#2 ·
What do you guys plan on for your bikes this winter?
you park your FJR,
buy one of these (see picture),
drill some tire studs in
get some quality heated gear
and pray for the Chinook warm winds :grin2:

...on the bright side; over time and due to climate changes and "global warming" winters in Canada are getting milder and milder, give it some time it's getting better every year already :wink2:

p.s. lots of used (and new) snowmobiles for sale this year at (covid) bargain prices

Attachments

#3 ·
Yesterday was the last double digit temperatures over 10oC.
Took the bikes out for a last run, topped up the tanks with premium (hopefully low ethanol) fuel, changed the engine oil, and parked the bikes for winter.
Mikester,

Where to find ethanol-free gasoline in the USA and Canada:

http://www.pure-gas.org

Costs more, yes, but it's either pay the cost, or you have ethanol. Hopefully there is a real gasoline outlet near you. Not all places listed there are filling stations. Some are marine supplies, hot-rod shops, small airports, or even the refineries (with credit card sales).

#4 ·
Second time I've posted this in two days.... in the true Great White North (not me), winter is 10 months and two months of bad hockey.

Sprinkle of snow a couple of hours coming Sunday afternoon, but I doubt it will stay. East and north of me will be a different story.

#9 ·
yabbut, we get to tease the crap out of you when you can't ride in the summer when it's triple digits down there, eh!! How many months is that again?????

#8 ·
I think i did my last ride of the season today too, although Ive put good gas in it & put it away 3 times now. We keep getting good weather so why not bringer back out. Today my favorite twisty roads were covered in loose sand & salt from some pretty good snow storms we have had, so it got a little hairy a few times. I bring out the snowmobile in the off season, so there really isnt much of an off season for me.

#10 ·
Winter in my part of Canada REALLY sucks. My bikes were parked for the season on November 12 after a 200+ km ride at -3C the day before, and prior to the sudden reprieve in the weather on November 1 they had been parked for the last 8 days of October due to snow, ice, and real cold. With luck I'll get to ride again in mid-March, but only because I have heated gear and because I'm stupid (ask my wife).

Burlington and Millgrove are in the sunny south and only Southern Alberta gets Chinook winds. It was +17C in Toronto yesterday and -7C here. Don't get me started.

Going out to shovel the driveway. Again.

Haynes

Reactions: Damir
#12 ·
I use Stabil, have for many years.

Reactions: Sete Bond
#15 ·
Seafoam only in ethanol-free gas when I can get it... Shell has non-corn high test, station near me. Run part of tank through before refill and storage.

Reactions: Sete Bond
#17 ·
@mikester:

Winter plans: nothing, since I share my two car garage with two CAGES! I simply don't have room to work on the FJR and besides, since my garage is NOT heated, it would be too darn cold. Right now the FJR is tucked in front of one of the cars with 3 covers: flannel (red of course), a cheapo second cover, and finally the grey cover that I got at least 20 years ago. It looks ratty to a passerby, but it still works and hasn't shredded yet, so I keep using it.

Spring plans: after one of the cars get relegated to the driveway and it warms a bit, I can do the following:
1. Install the set of Clearwater Darlas I just bought on sale

2. Install the Skene Designs P3 rear lights (removed from my BMW that was sold)
3. Possibly install the mirror extenders that came with the bike

4. Set the correct SAG for my weight
5. Perhaps tackle checking and lubing the steering stem bearings (may be a chore since the bike came with the SW-Motech bar backs installed)
6. Any other maintenance that seems to be necessary

#18 ·
Is the suspension all stock on your 2014? What do you weigh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.