FJR Owners Forum banner

Riding season is over for me.

5K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  the Ferret 
#1 ·
My appointment was cancelled today so I had a chance to go for quick early morning ride up to Idaho Spring and over Guanella Pass. A bit chilly early this morning so I pulled off at Idaho Springs to put on my jacket liner. That is where the early morning ride ended. I put the FJR on the Ground. On the freeway exit ramp approaching the traffic circle is where the FJR got tired. (See map). There is a small two inch curb with a concrete apron for the big rig trailers to ride on going around the sharp right hander before the circle. Normally there would be a solid white line designating where the curb is, but it was all worn away from traffic. The concrete apron blends in with the concrete on-ramp. Watching for traffic in the circle I did not see the curb in my peripheral vision. (no white line). The FJR tried to climb the curb and then fell over on the right side. ATGATT was the word of the day. My right leg got caught between the right exhaust and the curb. The weight of the bike was on my upper right ankle. Leg was twisted and I could not untwist and get out from under the bike. Trapped on the ground flopping around like a fish out of water. Lady behind me stopped and tried to push the bike off of me. No avail, just made it worse. The guy behind her stopped and lifted the bike off of me and positioned it on the side stand. By the time I was able to get up to thank them they were gone. Who ever you folks where, thank you. Leg hurt but was able to walk on it. Very little damage to the bike. Engine crash guards and sliders did their job. Guard is scraped on the bottom and slider is ground down a bit. No other damage. Rode to George Town to head up the Pass, but by then the ankle was too sore to use the rear break pedal. Decided it was best to head home and get the ankle on ice. Here are a couple of pictures of the leg on ice and the scrapes on the bike. A bit underwhelming for the pain that the ankle, leg and knee are feeling. Boot, Riding Pants and Jacket are scraped up a little but still servable. Knee pads and elbow pads work. Be careful and ride safe out there.

https://goo.gl/maps/arqJ4zcDimwetbii7

Attachments

See less See more
#35 ·
I'm relatively new to the forum as I picked up and FRJ this summer. Sorry to read about your season ending Chuck. Hope the healing goes quickly.

Your title caught my eye as I think we're near the end of riding season here in MI too. I was hoping to get out for another ride this week but it's calling for a lot of rain. Was really hoping to ride some more with my son who just picked up a Suzuki SV 650 a week ago.

Hope you up and riding again soon Chuck.

Reactions: chucksklrst
#36 ·
A Public service Announcement for those of you with The Canyon Cage Pannier Guards on your FJR. Today was the first time I was able to get out in the garage and check out the FJR for any hidden damage from my oops fall down, three and a half weeks ago. As I have posted, I broke / cracked my right Fibula bone on my leg, and twisted my ankle and seriously bruised my right foot. I am now in a walking boot for the next 4 weeks, then more X-Ray. But what I want to discuses is what I found on the bike. I had thought that the canyon cages did there job and there was no damage to the faring or the right pannier. I was correct in that assumption. However I found that the right pannier lid would just barley scrape on the rear guard. I found that the guard mounting flanges were bent. As I was inspecting the bike I also found boot scuff marks on the right exhaust can and exhaust pipe. Looking at my boot, I also had burn / scuff marks on my riding boot. No scuff marks on the rear pannier guard. So how does the guard get bent and boot scuff marks on the exhaust and a broken leg. My hypostasis is that my rights leg / ankle got caught between the exhaust and the right pannier guard. Foot under the exhaust can and leg under the pannier guard, twisting the ankle and putting all the weight of the bike on the Fibula bone. The guards are the Canyon Cage Pannier Guards. They work great if your leg is not caught under them. I have removed mine and don't think I will reinstall them. Here are some pictures of the exhaust and boot.

Attachments

#37 ·
perhaps a call to the DOT about the curb and lack of markings in order
heal fast Chuck!

#38 ·
Some good news, Chuck! Good to hear!

Take you time, we will all be here, and maybe we can all ride in the future!

Great pics, too! The boot did its job! Imagine if you were wearing trainers! Yikes!!

#39 ·
Update: Went to the Ortho Doc today. Got the Leg Boot off and got permission to Go Ride again by my Doc. After 7 weeks on not even riding around the block, I am a bit eager to ride. Trouble is, We had a snow storm come through last night and drop 4 inches of snow and ice on the roads. Going to have to wait a bit more.😕

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.