FJR Owners Forum banner

Not very bright and tires

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  rbentnail 
#1 ·
Want to know what headlight bulbs to buy that are brighter than what I have now. Just bought my bike "09" in June and I work nights coming home thru deer country. I had a Honda silverwing scooter with brighter lights.

Is anybody riding on the michelin road pilot 4 tires? Those are on my bike I want to know how good they are.

#4 ·
I really liked the Extra-Vision bulbs for night riding. I used them for yrs, best value out there IMHO. I have since switched to the F2 LED bulbs. More of a PITA to install and a giant PITA to adjust but worth it.

I tried a few different Pilot Road series tires. Didn't care for them, not confidence inspiring at all to me. There are better choices for where I am and how I ride. But there are too many variables to trust me. If you like what you got then buy them again. If you don't then the search feature is your friend. There are dozens upon dozens of tire threads already, no need to start yet another.

Reactions: Rumblestrip
#7 ·
Lights ... I have PIAA Night Tech bulbs on my other bike (my FJR has LEDs), and love them. Many FJR owners are putting in LED "bulbs", and seem to be very pleased with the illumination they provide. Search other threads on this forum for more detailed info.

Tires ... I'm only on my second set of tires, so the first set I got to choose. I have PR4 GT's, and really like them.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck with whatever you decide.

#8 ·
The F2 H4/9003 LED's can be had for similar $ as the brighter halogens (that may not last as long). Search ebay for them (the yellow box with F2 on it).... $40-45-ish. Should be brighter than the factory LED's, may not need auxiliary lighting.

#9 · (Edited)
I also have the Piaa Night Tec bulbs in my 14a which have been in for a little over 5yrs now. I installed them for the same reason as some as I was still working and the early/late rides to & from work in the dark was over 43mi of critter infested 2 lane country roads. The oe factory h4’s weren’t terribly bad but had a lot of shadows in their beam pattern. The Night Tex’s don’t have any shadows and are a bit brighter with a great side illumination, great bulbs imho.

With that said the next time I have to replace bulbs in the fjr I will install the highly recommended F2 Leds,they should last longer and hopefully have a similarly great light pattern as my current Piaa’s do. The fjr has the room to use the F2’s where most if my older bikes cannot fit a LED bulb with the cooling fans and heat sinks that go with them. On those bikes I’ll use the Piaa’s.

One thing to keep in mind if you install the LED’s is that you will have a whirring/whine in the front of your bike, it is the coolingfans on the LED’s , drove me crazy trying to figure out what “that” noise was when I put an led in my 81 cbx which is fully enclosed in the fairing, just the cooling fan.

#10 ·
One thing to keep in mind if you install the LED's is that you will have a whirring/whine in the front of your bike, it is the coolingfans on the LED's , drove me crazy trying to figure out what "that" noise was when I put an led in my 81 cbx which is fully enclosed in the fairing, just the cooling fan.
^^ This. Minor panic attack the first time I turned the bike off after installation :oops:.

Reactions: bounce
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.