FJR Owners Forum banner

Local FJR owners

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  alpha_2 
#1 ·
I live in Port Saint Lucie Florida and would like to find local FJR owner. Something about me, bought my FJR in April 2020. 65 yrs old and since this is my first bike in 30 years I have a few questions. Planning a Grand Canyon trip later in the year.

#2 ·
Welcome onboard.

My name is Lee and I'm approaching the big 60 in rapid fashion. I live right around the corner, in Palm City. Owned my '16 FJR for just about a year now but, because of hip surgery & recovery, haven't ridden since February.

The FJR is a great ride but she's a big one in comparison to every other bike I've owned. I purchased mine for the near-exclusive purpose of having my daughter, who's just about to turn 17, ride w/me. Figured it was a great way to connect w/her before she goes off to college next year. Sadly, my surgery interrupted those plans but in the dozen or so local rides we've shared, she's loved it so I guess that makes it worth it.

I admire your goal, a cross-country trip. Never ridden any of my bikes out of state but if there was one to do it on, the FJR would be it!

I'm still a little leery about mounting up at this point but if the weather holds and you'd like to hook up one weekend or evening w/clear skies, let me know! We'll see how courageous I get.
Lee

#3 ·
First motorcycle in 30 years and in a few months you plan to ride 5,000 miles roundtrip?

I think you need to work yourself up to a 400 or 500 mile day from home before committing to 5 days of 500 miles to get there. Or cut it down to 250-300 mile days.

At best the Original Equipment Bridgestone BT023 front tire will last 6,000 miles. Start with a fresh oil change you won't hurt anything going 5,000 miles before getting home to do the next, but I doubt you want to be at the mercy of having to buy whatever tires you can find on the road.

A 12V tire inflator and sticky string plug kit is essential. Also invest in TPMS which will warn of tire puncture before you feel the change. Install right-angle metal valve stems when tires are changed so as to support the relatively heavy TPMS sensor.

Reactions: philharmonic
#4 ·
I live in Port Saint Lucie Florida and would like to find local FJR owner. Something about me, bought my FJR in April 2020. 65 yrs old and since this is my first bike in 30 years I have a few questions. Planning a Grand Canyon trip later in the year.
First motorcycle in 30 years and in a few months you plan to ride 5,000 miles roundtrip?

I think you need to work yourself up to a 400 or 500 mile day from home before committing to 5 days of 500 miles to get there. Or cut it down to 250-300 mile days.

At best the Original Equipment Bridgestone BT023 front tire will last 6,000 miles. Start with a fresh oil change you won't hurt anything going 5,000 miles before getting home to do the next, but I doubt you want to be at the mercy of having to buy whatever tires you can find on the road.

A 12V tire inflator and sticky string plug kit is essential. Also invest in TPMS which will warn of tire puncture before you feel the change. Install right-angle metal valve stems when tires are changed so as to support the relatively heavy TPMS sensor.
TPMS sensor install... now that's a very FJR type of mod to do.. ha. Do you have an inflator you recommend that you know doesn't blow fuses? I had a Slime one for my car and ended up binning it because all it did is blow lighter fuses, then one day just died for no reason

#5 ·
TPMS sensor install... now that's a very FJR type of mod to do.. ha. Do you have an inflator you recommend that you know doesn't blow fuses? I had a Slime one for my car and ended up binning it because all it did is blow lighter fuses, then one day just died for no reason
There are numerous threads on recommended air pumps and how to power them. The search feature is your friend!

Reactions: N4HHE
#11 ·
Hi neighbor!
Jim here in Sebastian and 60 is in my rear view mirror somewhere.

I'm on my 3rd FJR and In my opinion you you made an excellent choice.
The first two were 05s and after a left turner killed the second one I upgraded to a '13. Quite an eye opener!

At this point I'm somewhere around 150k on FJRs and have found them to be the most reliable bike I've owned. With basic maintenance and they seem to run forever.

I'll try to answer any questions you may have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.