FJR Owners Forum banner

Which Power commander 2007 FJR?

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  RaYzerman 
#1 ·
Hey guys, this has probably been asked before but I haven't seen it. I want to get a Power Commander for my 2007 FJR 1300 mainly for the herky jerky throttle, but a few other things too. My confusion is I see that they are up to the number 5, but I don't wanna waste money on the 5 if a 3 is perfectly compatible and will do everything I want. So, hopefully someone can give me a direction on what I would need. Also, if I pick up a used Power Commander 3 for a GSXR1000 would it work on my FJR???

Thanks!

#2 ·
For a Gen2 FJR, you must get a PC5. A PC3 from any other bike, including a Gen1 FJR, will have the wrong connector for your wiring. Also, if you want to do the job properly, you need an Autotune unit with a new O2 sensor to go with the PC5. Without the Autotune unit, any map that you program into the PC5, will only tune the engine for one particular set of atmospheric conditions. When those conditions change, as they will due to temperature, pressure, altitude, and humidity, there is no feedback loop to re-tune the engine.

#4 ·
Yes and no...

You can get a used PCIII that was set up for an GenII FJR - it will work fine. Dynojet just replaced them with new units - the PCV. The AT module will only work with a PCV.

The ECU has maps specifically to adjust for temperature, pressure, altitude, and humidity - you don't need an AT to compensate for those changes. Running without an Autotune will mostly work fine. You will probably end up with the mixture being slightly off when you go from E10 or E15 back to real gas without an AT.

An AT is useful for mapping for the specific changes made to your bike. I have an AT and the bike runs a bit smoother than just running the "smoothness" map. The AT doesn't seem to work well below 3k rpm and 10% throttle on my bike, however. It richens everything up and then leans it down again, leading to inconsistent running. If I was doing it again, I'd save the money on the AT.

#3 ·
A few Redfish thoughts on this subject...

1. There are some used PC-Vs out there. You might find one just waiting for a good home somewhere. (PM me. Please PM me!)
2. Bernie is right and wrong about the Autotune. I guess that depends on you. I know you can get excellent results without the Autotune unit.
3. The correct map is essential.
4. You don't HAVE to have a PC-V for a Gen2. I personally know that there are PC-3 units being used on '07 FJRs.
5. Your fuel mileage will probably drop.
6. Your fuel economy readout in the dash will become uselessly, optimistically inaccurate.
7. Bernie is right about not using a GSXR unit on an FJR. That will NOT work.

I installed a PC-V on Pop's '07 many years ago to help with the jerky throttle. I ordered it from FuelMoto and they installed their "smoothness map". Pop lives about 20 feet above sea level here in South Louisiana. That '07 with that PC-V and no Autotune traveled from here all through the Smoky Mountains, all over Colorado, all the way to the top of Pike's Peak, 14,110 feet. That bike had altitude issues stock but never with the PC-V. I did run it for a while with the O2 sensor still plugged in and fuel mileage was great. I gave in to the advice of experts and unplugged the O2 sensor and fuel mileage dropped.

#5 ·
I also just bought an 07 FJR a few months ago and installed a brand new PCV I downloaded several maps but are currently using the one right from Power Commander. I’m very happy with the results No more herky jerky throttle. I also did the throttle return spring unwind which I really love the results of that as well. I unplugged the O2 sensor as the instructions say to. I don’t think power commander even offers the PC3 anymore. I think it’s PCV or one of the other styles of fuel tuners. Like Dobeck Performance one. Which I used in my first 07 FJR and it worked great as well. You don’t need the auto tuner for the PCV to do it’s job. I also used a PCV on my FZ1 with out the auto tune with great results.

#7 ·
It also helps to adjust the throttle freeplay to near zero. You must unplug the O2 sensor, otherwise the ECU is trying to put the mixture back to stock thus compensating for the PC.
PC3 is fine, PCV just added another column for the 1500 rpm range in the map.

Reactions: 2GENAE and Kelvin
#9 ·
Hi all.

I thought it best to tag onto an existing thread, rather than create another another one covering the same topic.
For the 2006-2007 FJR's, when installing the PCV and autotune- do you remove the factory O2 sensor and replace it with the autotune one?
Thanks.

#13 ·
Slow down there Ivan-eers. His question wasn't wasn't PC vs "whatever", he is asking about the Autotune and O2 sensor replacement.

Plus as he shows from Australia, if he's not already bought the PCV, pretty sure he's not going to want to pull his ECU, then wait and also risk shipping to and fro.

#15 ·
Just providing options to be considered before spending money.... I had an '07 and I know how hard it is to fix the fueling issues. Everything Kelvin says..... the other alternative is to get an ECU from an '08 or '09 and plug it in, except for the Rest of World immobilizer, will need complete set of locks and master red key. None of which will "fix" it totally, but yes it will be better. If I had to spend money though, I'd go Ivan flash. Would have to contact Ivan, as he can do Gen3 immobilizers, need to confirm Gen2.

Reactions: Redfish
#14 ·
Here's my experience with PC III on my 2006: Installed it in 2009 on my 2006 Gen II and it worked great, it was state of the art at the time, PCV V was not out yet, so I can't give an opinion on that. I raised the idle to 1100 rpm, took the slack out of the cable, unwound the throttle spring and installed the G2 tube, as recommended by forum members. All these steps along with the PC III made a big improvement. You will have to get one specifically for an FJR so the ECM connector is compatible. There are probably some that will come up for sale as Gen II owners are able to get the Ivan's flash which fixes the issues that the PC III addresses. Power Commander has many maps available for download for the PC III and your bike. Plus you can create your own map by plugging in your laptop and adding or subtracting fuel in different rpm and throttle position ranges.

#16 ·
I get it, just the question was about the O2 sensor replacement and not "what to buy" options, which in my mind means he already has the PCV and was asking about the Autotune install.

And would agree for the Ivan's flash for Gen 2 if he was stateside and if he didn't already have the PCV.
Do we know if the non US spec FJR's have different ECU ?

#17 ·
I was under the impression he was still trying to decide which PC. Autotune option is more expensive again and I believe the stock O2 sensor gets replaced with Dynojet's. More than likely gonna be more money than the Ivan flash unless he's found a used PC/Autotune.
Rest of World, ie, other than US, have an ignition immobilizer requiring a chip key system, and the key ID is programmed into the ECU. For the Gen2, one would have to ask Ivan if he can do Gen2 immobilizer ECU's. He can do Gen3 because he did mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.