FJR Owners Forum banner

2019/2020 FJR vs 2013

10K views 58 replies 23 participants last post by  kukablack 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Just thinking about new FJR. My dealer has 2019 inventory with $2K discount and 2020 with no discount.
My current GEN III, 2013 beautiful stone grey bike has only 2500km since new. It is showroom condition. Unfortunetely did not have time to ride it due using other bikes. I know, shame....

What should I do? Sell it/trade it for new GEN IV or keep gen III?
Current models are only available in BLUE flat or DARK grey metallic. Any experience with flat color? Prons vs Cons?

Any feedback is greatly appreciate it.
Thank you

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow -- 2.5k kms -- thats only 1500 miles --- my take is keep it -- 2013 is still GEN 3 -- has the updated gauge cluster --- others can chime in but apart from the Cruise control that will allow you to set it up to 100 ( 2013 limits it to 80) and LED headlight I don't think there is much of a difference

maybe warranty with the new bike == my preference is not the mat finish anyways although it doesn't look bad I still prefer shiny

#3 ·
The only things you gain other than the led lights over your 2013 is the 6spd tranny & the light pull clutch, also I think but am not sure that there is no “A” models available in the 2020 bikes only the ES, but again I’m not sure. But for me the 6spd is a big deal, a positive update imho. The electronic adjustable suspension I’m not to big on as I view it as more clap trap to go wrong, again just my opinion..

Now all that said I would add that the $$$ needed to upgrade from your 2500km 2013 to a new one would be very prohibitive to me unless money is no object. Your 2013 isn’t even broke in yet, again my opinion.

#52 ·
The only things you gain other than the led lights over your 2013 is the 6spd tranny & the light pull clutch, also I think but am not sure that there is no "A" models available in the 2020 bikes only the ES, but again I'm not sure. But for me the 6spd is a big deal, a positive update imho. The electronic adjustable suspension I'm not to big on as I view it as more clap trap to go wrong, again just my opinion..

Now all that said I would add that the $$$ needed to upgrade from your 2500km 2013 to a new one would be very prohibitive to me unless money is no object. Your 2013 isn't even broke in yet, again my opinion.
Mario, just curious, and these questions are in fun. Is your garage telling you that the grey is too shiny? Is the dealer salivating when you walk in the door? LOL

You mention you have other bikes that you ride. It's obvious that money is not an issue, and my hats off to you for that. It must be the color and finish that is attracting you to her, and that's perfectly fine. From the little you mentioned and my assumption of your situation, I would vote YES, go for it. Or, maybe you just don't need a FJR....

If you like to have people notice what you ride and love talking to strangers, then, the Nikken has the same color scheme, albeit shiny, but it is an attention getter. For the amount you ride her, the Nikken is a better fit, and I'll bet your dealer doesn't have one on the floor, because..... They are a looker and many want that.
After thinking about FJR, I decided to sell since I am not ridding it enough.
It is beautiful bike however I think someone else will enjoy it more. I am putting it on the market as we speak.
Thanks everyone for input.

#4 ·
OMG keep the '13!! You got me head-scratching why you'd want a new one except to watch dollar bills evaporating from your wallet. 5 speed is better to me, nice colour, you wouldn't be gaining what it would cost you.... and you're not riding it!!!

#5 ·
Mario, just curious, and these questions are in fun. Is your garage telling you that the grey is too shiny? Is the dealer salivating when you walk in the door? LOL

You mention you have other bikes that you ride. It's obvious that money is not an issue, and my hats off to you for that. It must be the color and finish that is attracting you to her, and that's perfectly fine. From the little you mentioned and my assumption of your situation, I would vote YES, go for it. Or, maybe you just don't need a FJR....

If you like to have people notice what you ride and love talking to strangers, then, the Nikken has the same color scheme, albeit shiny, but it is an attention getter. For the amount you ride her, the Nikken is a better fit, and I'll bet your dealer doesn't have one on the floor, because..... They are a looker and many want that.

#6 · (Edited)
I can't believe I forgot about the 6 gear upgrade -- very true. Having come from FJ1200's and still have that particular feature is not a big issue -- I find the 5 gear just fine. The FJR seems to pull hard in every gear. If its color you want the Candy Red is hard to beat. but for that you have to buy 2014

#10 · (Edited)
Mario, as you said, it seems you prefer your other bikes over the FJR, I would say just get rid of it, and buy something else you need / want.

If you still want to have this piece of art just to look at her and for decoration that's also fine, some people buy expensive sculptures and paintings, you prefer nice bikes :)
I have '17ES matte silver, and love the ES, LED's, and 6sp bike is a big improvement over my previous FJR, not crazy about matte finish, if I ever decide to repaint or vinyl wrap it will be pearl orange or '14red

And if you are still wanting the latest FJR... don't trade your "old one" at the dealer, I am sure you will fetch more $$ by posting it on this forum, good luck with whatever you decide.
Also what are the "other" bikes you ride?

#53 ·
Mario, as you said, it seems you prefer your other bikes over the FJR, I would say just get rid of it, and buy something else you need / want.

If you still want to have this piece of art just to look at her and for decoration that's also fine, some people buy expensive sculptures and paintings, you prefer nice bikes /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
I have '17ES matte silver, and love the ES, LED's, and 6sp bike is a big improvement over my previous FJR, not crazy about matte finish, if I ever decide to repaint or vinyl wrap it will be pearl orange or '14red

And if you are still wanting the latest FJR... don't trade your "old one" at the dealer, I am sure you will fetch more $$ by posting it on this forum, good luck with whatever you decide.
Also what are the "other" bikes you ride?
Took some time to make a decision.
I am putting FJR on the market.
I am pretty sure new owner will appreciate immaculate condition.

#11 ·
Unless money is a complete non-issue, there’s little benefit to the change...the LED lighting is the only real improvement of some worth (IMO). Otherwise, 5 speed vs 6 speed, comes down to preference, and there are probably more or less equal advocates on both sides. At 2500 km on a 2013, it’s throwing away money to swap out for a 2019 or 2020, IMO.

#15 ·
Please tell us what your other bikes are that you’ve only 2500km on the ‘13. If you like having the FJR in the garage I would hang onto the ‘13. Doesn’t seem like you ride it enough to need a new bike or benefit from any of the upgrades. All that said if you want a new bike and it’s not going to take food off the table then as they say life is short go for it.

I have a ‘14a and have ridden the newer 6 speed ES model. I liked the features of the new bike but not so much that I wanted to trade the ‘14 for one. I put about 15,000 miles a year on my FJR but I put about the same or more on my Multistrada. That’s why I’m so curious as to what your other bikes are that the FJR never gets ridden.

#17 ·
I’ve had the gen III and now have a gen IV. The LED lighting makes a big difference. But that was easily addressed with the 2014 that I had. If I were in a 2013, I might have the ecu flashed to increase the max cruise control speed. The current version six speed transmission lowers rpms and vibes at highway cruising speed noticeably, but does not increase mileage or top speed.

The 2013 is all the bike you really need. Great bike, great features.

#18 ·
Thanks everyone for an input.

Do I need update to 2020 model? Absolutely not.

Do I want upgrade? Well, I think everyone likes new toys. Only downsize what I see from the new inventory is, there is no color selection on 2020 model. Only available in dark grey metallic.

I will shop around and see what i can get on trade. If they offer acceptable numbers than I will consider to trade in. If they give me low ball offer based on the blue book, than I will keep it and add exhaust and corbin seat.

Time will show.

Thanks everyone.

#19 ·
Try to sell the '13 first. As low mileage as you say it is and as clean as you say it is it should bring a premium. Then make a cash deal on the 2020. Unless, of course, you really do have more money than you need ;)

But truthfully, I've never seen the point in spending thousands of dollars to upgrade to something that's not that much different. How many thousands are you willing to throw at the few differences between the two bikes?

#26 ·
Any dealer who won't discount a bike at all is nuts. If you want the bike, offer $2,000 under MSRP and no bullshit fees. Then walk it they don't go to at least $1,500 off. The bike does not sell very well, and the industry in general has not been good since the 2008 recession.

Reactions: bounce
#27 ·
You would never own a bike in NC. Dealers would rather it sit in the showroom than (you'll have to pardon my straightforwardness) deal with a dick. They know eventually it will sell and they'll make some profit rather than have to deal with a repeat high maintenance problem-person.

Reactions: passx
#32 ·
On my 14a I found that the Internet was my friend, all the dealers now have internet sales reps and I contacted most within a 50-100mi radius and even one 125mi away. I told them what I was looking for and simply asked what their best out-the-door pricing was, simple, right ? I had a number in my head already and it was interesting to see the interpretation of “our-the-door” pricing.

I had one dealer in Michigan about 65mi from come in way lower than anyone else by about $2500 so I asked several times on whether or not that their price was indeed out-the-door and they kept saying yes. So I told them to right it up and I’d be there with a check to pick it up. When they submitted the final paperwork for me to sign they had added over $3k in bs charges & fees making them near the most expensive. He got very defensive when I asked him about the out the door price and explained he was honoring that but everyone had to pay the add-oe’s.

For me it showed his true colors and I didn’t want deal with him so I moved on,, he even had his daughter call me multiple times to tell me the bike was prepped and ready to pick up,,they are no longer in business.

Anyway the internet is your friend, you can use it to get what you want all while sitting in your recliner drinking a cup of coffee, beer, shot, whatever. You’ll get an idea of what’s feasible pretty quick because they all want your business and with the down market they’ll work pretty hard to get it.

Reactions: bounce
#33 ·
In recent years in Ontario, we have a law that says the advertised price is the price... we were all tired of the BS add-ons. The only things that can be added on are sales tax and an admin fee for processing the paperwork, which you can ask about before you get there. Will they try to sell you extended warranty, offer financing (they get a kickback), sure, but just say no. Motorcycles easier, pretty straightforward if you're doing a cash deal.

Reactions: Mr_Ed
#34 ·
I had wanted an FJR for years, and when they added cruise control in '13 I bought one.

I checked neighboring states and cities like passx did, but they were rather hard to find in this neck of the woods. I called Mike Johnson Power Sports in Russellville, Arkansas, about 90 miles from my home, and Gary told me "We don't keep one on the floor Eddie, but I could get you one." I asked the price, and he said he'd get back to me. He called later that afternoon, with what I considered a good price, and I told him I'd bring him a deposit. Happily, he told me my word was good enough and he'd order it that afternoon. I asked "Before you do that, how much are you going to add to that price for freight, dealer prep, and other stuff." He said "We wouldn't do that." He did make sure I understood I'd be paying sales taxes and license at the revenue department, but the price he quoted was the amount I'd write the check for.

He called several days later and told me the bike was in, and it'd be ready to pick up Saturday. My wife took me over, I wrote him a check for the exact same figure he'd quoted me, and rode my new bike home -- the long way.

We bought a new car a few months later, and it didn't work that way. But I did sit there and refuse to sign anything until they told us all costs involved with buying the car. I don't care how they write the invoice; just don't try to get me all hooked and excited then start adding unexpected costs.

#36 ·
When I bought my FJR the dealership and I agreed on the bottom line. This was the 3rd dealership I visited b/c the 1st 2 didn't seem eager to help me find what I wanted. Anywho, she and I agreed on the out-the-door price then she went hunting for a bike. I paid what we agreed on, she paid anything else including shipping from Chicago. We both were happy.

Reactions: passx
#40 ·
Well, if you're calling 600+ miles a "breakfast ride", sure.

I think the longest day I've done was Clinton, WV, to my home in Little Rock. It was just shy of 900 miles, and the saddle was fine. Everything else on my 70-year-old body was tuckered out, but my butt was fine. ;)

I understand that there are more comfortable saddles out there, but I'm big on adequate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.