FJR Owners Forum banner

t-rex bars..waiting

7K views 52 replies 18 participants last post by  Versatek6 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally did my research (here and on amazon) and settled on the T-Rex bars for engine and luggage! Liked the design better than the russian-made stuff.

Luggage Bars are out of stock, so I'm saving more pennies and waiting.... sigh....

'Not much of a mechanic, but I can watch the Youtube videos to see how to put them on.
Road trip from California to Omaha, NE this summer , and I'd really like to have these in place for that!
Pictures when they get here!

(If they do, worried they're not coming back in stock and I'll have to go with something else.)

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
(smile) found those too...it's the luggage guards the t-rex folk are out of.

I'm hoping to buy the front and rear together when both are back in stock.

bought one set of luggage guards based on the photo then realized that wasn't what the seller was sending! nice! Ebay was good about refunding that.

#4 ·
When you install the main engine guard bolts (fine thread 12mm), use some anti-seize and reduce torque to below 30 ft. lbs. It will keep those bolts from freezing in there.

#7 · (Edited)
Thank you for that advice. I was hoping folks would offer good tips like that when I put up the post... (smile) I'll look for something at the local Home Depot.

It's been raining for a week here, and another week and a half are coming...!!
(hey, listen to the guy from California complain about the weather....)

#8 ·
Looking forward to pictures and advice should you decide to post either or both!.... good luck with the project.

#9 ·
Sadly, as I was backing out of my garage a week ago, all ready for a nice long spring time in the Rockies ride, lost control and my beautiful 2016 Blue Angel went down. Today I got the estimate for repair, labor and parts, right at $2400.!!!!!!! So I’m in the market for some armor. Has anyone used the Yamaha OEM tip over guards, and if so, are they any good? Sure are expensive for what they are. Going to look for some reviews on the T-Rex bars, may be the way I go. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#10 ·
Sadly, as I was backing out of my garage a week ago, all ready for a nice long spring time in the Rockies ride, lost control and my beautiful 2016 Blue Angel went down. Today I got the estimate for repair, labor and parts, right at $2400.!!!!!!! So I'm in the market for some armor. Has anyone used the Yamaha OEM tip over guards, and if so, are they any good? Sure are expensive for what they are. Going to look for some reviews on the T-Rex bars, may be the way I go. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sorry to hear about your mishap 😞 I suggest you fix it yourself (I did) you will probably save a thousand, and as far as you doing more research on the effectiveness of TRex, you'll be wasting your time, just order a set, the sooner the better, (if you can get it, they are on backorder) it's the only insurance against the future low speed drops. TRex or R-Gaza those are your choices and they are both good, search this forum to see more info on both. Good luck with your repair.

#11 · (Edited)
there is one variant of R-Gaza that connects to the passenger (pillion) foot rest.

If you never carry passengers, that may not matter, but at least KNOW which kind you're about to order.
There's even one variant that has only ONE connection to the two mounting holes at the "top".

Study ALL the photos carefully if you plan to order the $129 version from amazon. Make sure they match... some don't.
[ame="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GKY38ZW/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1ZNYR27A26RQC&psc=1"]R-Gaza on Amazon. $129[/ame]
this one looks good... may be my 2nd choice if T-Rex never comes back.
Here's a photo that shows all three mounts. (none are on the pillion peg). It's not as good as t-rex..(IMHO), but at least you can buy this one!

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
I've had emails from T-Rex customer service
We have the engine guards in stock but the luggage guards are currently out of stock. They have been added to the production list but unfortunately, we do not have an anticipated restock date available just yet.
Your business is appreciated.
Thanks,
Ruben
T-Rex Racing Inc.
and also this email...

9 March 2020 - I think the luggage guard should be back in stock next week. Please check back with us next week.
Your business is appreciated.
Thanks,
Duke
T-Rex Racing Inc.
11351 Anaheim Dr, Dallas, TX 75229
(972) 243-7868
I may have to go with the R-Gaza stuff, though reviews of those who had to hammer them into shape to make the holes match up... are not encouraging.
EDIT: I've sent the link for this discussion to T-Rex so they can follow along.

#15 ·
It won't be too hard at all to do $2500 in damage. Estimates are at full retail for parts and labour. Insurance jobs... replace anything with a minor scratch. Mirror stay??

#23 ·
I'll have to check with them about the mirror stay, it did seem that the mirror was in the right place and solid, all scratched to ****, but they are charging for a REAR VIEW MIRROR ASSY (RIGHT) . I also have some add on items, such as some really nice pair of bar end weights that I purchased for my old FJR back in 2004 or so, those all all scratched up. Also, some nice highway pegs. And then as the right handlebar took some of the major hit, the throttle does not work smoothly and that has to be repaired - they think they can just fix that problem.

#17 ·
They most likely are made in China. China production and distribution has been at a stand still for months.

Hopefully this will spur stateside production.

Someone with a tubing bender and a welder could make these in a garage.

#18 ·
They most likely are made in China. China production and distribution has been at a stand still for months.

Hopefully this will spur stateside production.

Someone with a tubing bender and a welder could make these in a garage.
If someone in the US made them in their garage, I would buy them!

Hey, China or Russia! What a choice! (smile)'was also thinking about buying simple frame sliders for the front and cheap, replacement, black, doors for the saddlebags (panniers). I could use those for travel and not care much if they got dinged in a tip over.

Hey, I could zip-tie a couple "pool noodles" to each pannier and just hope for the best! (smile)

or I could just give up riding altogether ? Naaahhhhhhhhh!!!!

#19 · (Edited)

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
and here's a link to the R-Gaza with only one bolt at the "top"... seems like an early design to me...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FJR1300-2001-2005-Saddlebag-Guards-R-GAZA-Side-Bags-Luggage-Guards/264292889587?hash=item3d891573f3&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&enc=AQAEAAADQHtqLVPFe8oC1dO5WqSv%2FeiaCFb2hYmg458NyDeIizpFaT1CFZcyjhK9s1xHT%2BoqAOvU5lpwzKZQdiM2ADaThlnuTOIqGEoxvhgregXxGnEYDFn%2BLnYQGQE8FqoUj%2BxJ7c5EssR1rp0aGz0Q2bcAf4%2BvktP7MFUcp9BQknw%2Bk8SbD3z1OvIaCCyQ4U2Lt2JmRYc94JIslln2tT9cYLHUKFHv10bF4CGEc0FQFfpyH3avdSeIMKTdc0PmNTa4OFz2iW%2FgaRQhoTo166li8ZvnZCaDFXN7f83mnzYMkB7aeKQvX4puOF1ILBz7rolx3L1PgApQBoQZ1y4Lbd1ffNbbxM45jPtIQmn7bdvwdlyk9NddgmPRlp4xB2YNWZFe6OMpzTe%2BGDy%2BzDzLuBAhzqtwtvOxz3E20HwECMbkSY728JddM%2BXldnV5uUVoh2S4V9c4TAmvo8SixEigz0OcZJzDsXj%2Bba6vGKpV4SLFv1Grtgy4UjRrjJaw7AyHwm13JAIibCFf4%2B9jarkLlG2QjChExoVeTmrQpGapGwjwoQ0AM60wIHMuhh%2BDVd1UghA5wGGaNz0it9iNpabfKnzLtXaVmBD%2BjA1xbMmhSokxD267%2FoGipevcBvwvHztD1Rju8FWazvlghAXENKZ0B2vPnbsmECnicujOohsw%2F%2BkDBQPl6UC8L%2FRpi6lB18O08IPPsQFUn8ar1PI%2FFI2F7hmf49fG0jv0P8c7ee2qPrVh1Cr5lvU9KUgPEVW4m2SjnR4hfZi%2B0rw6MXTP8DWxPU8PXFxO%2BIbubiIRC%2FGlTN0W6RcbYdFt1txk8K7HItWFx6O0flzLJh2p4WTUrQ1BiAdfODTi9x8ohFkRXQrWxbc1D3Odbfe3UVlCSleCi%2FZCrb1H1LlI8%2FlZQffSZSjn0bJWhv%2Bx1HYh12XeraohoXtDJ59Ot5eyjj1VfASqee2KmlNOy7KHi8ReRpzl8OC80obw59B4X3Jw%2Bg%2BnxsKjLsB4UPLNJwxuaU5mznDYyWp8XbBQ%2BMefdxwZiIZROfUVDJsf5yDdC6MhQ48WgJxv%2B0esvwCM6I%2FO4wO8HRXPOHSGgmJ5pe38enFwE8kmQoQgSc9k9ZLlnIw%3D&checksum=264292889587636e30267b2c4016bd736b6e04bc7d72

can you tell I have too much time on my hands today?... I'm going to a movie!

#21 ·
A while back, I submitted a request to T-Rex be emailed when the saddlebag protectors are available. Haven't heard anything yet though.

#22 ·
I'll try and figure out this picture thing when I have some spare time. But the parts came to $1537.70 and labor (6.5 hours) to $715.00 plus tax etc. The estimate price is for replace, not repair, any parts. I have been dealing with this shop for over 30 years, and they are not cheap, but they do the best work in town IMHO. My deductible is $500.

#24 ·
Just tried to place the order with T-Rex. Who knows if it went through or not... I don't think it did.
Why is this so hard?
(rhetorical question requiring no answer)

#26 · (Edited)
I'm ordering just the front bars .. NOT the luggage bars.
At least I can get that going.

OK. DONE. Order is IN.

Now the question is... in this hysterical time...
how long do I wait before giving up on the T-Rex Luggage bars?

#27 ·
To order items NOW from an aftermarket part supplier can take a little more time for them and a little more patience for the buyer. Tis their busy time of the year especially for a company making aftermarket parts for as many bikes that T-Rex does. You might have been less hysterical had you ordered them in early winter like I did. They were out of stock then too but I enrolled in their email notification list to let me know when they had parts in stock. T-Rex went one better for me, they emailed me with an estimate for replenishing their stock, and then they topped that by beating the estimate by a few weeks.

#29 ·
I think the first thing you got to get with such a heavy motorcycle like FJR is engine/crash guards and bag guards.

No matter what because of the weight of the motorcycle you will drop it slowly or suddenly at some point if you happen to miss the footing or loose the balance.

I also went with the Trex guards, one of the best on the market (comparable to Canyon cages) and fast shipping if you order directly through them...they have occasional sales with minor discount!

#30 ·
Thanks. I've ordered the forward, engine, bars. The luggage guards are out of stock at the moment. I remain hopeful and un-hysterical.

#34 ·
I had too much time on my hands and went hunting for any crash guards I could find.
The t-rex or R-gaza will do just fine.

#35 ·
So here are some photos of the final installation. I've seen some of these gloss powder coated, but these are matte finished. The first shows the T-Rex Highway Pegs installed, and also the one irritation I had with the installation.

My bike is the AE model, with the electronic clutch. You can see just to the left of the triangular plate is a part of the shift mechanism that should be covered by a cowling. T-Rex's materials say this is a "no cutting installation." I didn't have to cut the cowl to install, but I did have to remove it, and will have to remove part of its corner to get it back in place. Probably belt sander as my band saw is out of commission right now.

I tried the highway pegs farther forward, but it felt like the stirrups on an OB/GYN table. Here, I can get a little stretch, and if the bike should take a nap/slide, they are less likely to bend into anything really expensive. If I decide I don't use them enough, they'll get moved to the V-Strom.

Next photo shows the bag bars. I had my wife test-sit after installation. She did lose a little foot room, but her heels are well on the pegs.

Last shot shows both.

Attachments

Reactions: rbentnail
#37 ·
The AE gives you the option of using the foot shifter or the trigger on the left grip.

The pattern of the shift had to be changed to accommodate the automation: it is N-1-2-3-4-5. There is also an "on button" on the grip you have to press if you want to use the trigger shift. I assume it is to keep you from accidentally downshifting instead of hitting your horn button, as they are stacked one below the other. I don't use my thumb to downshift, instead flicking the trigger forward with my index finger; I seldom use the foot shift anymore. When learning they system, I got tired of beeping...

Reactions: Damir
#38 ·
Loved the photos. Thanks for sharing those. The luggage guards look espcially well made.
what was more difficult to attach?
the front or the back?

#41 ·
The rears took about 15 minutes to do both.

The fronts took me well over an hour, not including the highway pegs - but I wasn't watching time that closely. I work slowly, as I don't like to mess things up. I still do, though. :( I also took a break halfway through to go inside and thaw out my feet. Should have worn warmer boots.

Besides the AE cover, I dinked around with the rear long bolt more than I had to. Also, the way the fronts mount, you bolt a plate in place, and attach the bars to that. On the right, the plate is reversible, depending on whether you own a Gen 2 or Gen 3. It doesn't say that in the printed instructions, but does in the installation video, so I messed around with that for a while, too, because it comes pre-mounted in the Gen 3 configuration. On the left front lower bolt, I had to use an Allen key as I couldn't get another tool in there. A T-wrench with a ball head would have worked better.

The highway bars are very well made. They have the bolt heads on the back, and were fiddly to get attached once I decided where to put them. The cages are pretty close to the body, so there is not much room to work. If I were to put them on the GIVI bars on the V-Strom, there is a lot more space for tools. One very nice feature is that you get two different lengths of rail that goes between the mount and the peg so you can tailor the placement quite a bit. If you look at the mount closely, you see a barrel that the extension attaches to. That is tapped on each side about every 2mm for a stub screw to hold it in place. The taps are offset on each side so you can get a pretty fine range of adjustment. I thought they were kind of expensive, but after handling them I see why.

For quality I say 10/10. For documentation 7/10. There are enough installation videos to overcome that, though. Shipping weight was 23#, so I've probably lowered my center of gravity 10mm!

Now that I've done it, I could probably get both done in an optimistic 45 minutes.

Reactions: StratTuner
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.