FJR Owners Forum banner

Windscreen stays up after ignition is off.

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Agave 
#1 ·
Hi folks.

I have a 2004 Yamaha FJR1300 which I've just purchased.

It has 30000km on the clock.

Every time that Id switch the bike off my screen would stay up- I thought this was normal...however today after my ride I put the ignition of and took out the key, the neutral light stayed on despite the ignition being off..about 3-4 seconds afterwards the light went off and the screen went down.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I have a 2003 and that should be the normal behavior. After the ignition is switched off the neutral light is lit and windshield goes down, once down everything shuts off.
If it did not do that before then maybe the PO modified it to keep the screen up and whatever modification they did has now failed or has intermittent connections.

#3 ·
It sounds like an intermittent connection of some kind... The mod was removing the jumper wire connector at/near the windshield motor.... Your windshield would not go down if that was missing.
On Gen1 there was a multi-way connector forward of the engine up by the steering head (somewhere there, I never owned one)... several reported this connector sometimes became corroded and funny stuff would happen... cleaning it up restored things to normal... perhaps check there?

#6 · (Edited)
Hi folks.

I have a 2004 Yamaha FJR1300 which I've just purchased.

It has 30000km on the clock.

Every time that Id switch the bike off my screen would stay up- I thought this was normal...however today after my ride I put the ignition of and took out the key, the neutral light stayed on despite the ignition being off..about 3-4 seconds afterwards the light went off and the screen went down.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?
I disabled mine as do many owners. It's a removal of a jumper. If the jumper is gone or modified, then a replacement isn't costly.

http://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/shield/shield.html

Also, there are on-line circuit diagrams like this one (page 8-64).

http://ironbrothersmc.com/motors/Yamaha/Yamaha_FJR1300_2001_Service_Manual.pdf

#9 ·
The multi-way connector should be rearward of the steering head, forward of the engine, more or less in the middle as far as I know. As I said, I never had a Gen1 )'03 thru '05), but others have found corrosion there and had to clean it up.
In looking again at the wiring diagram, that connector services all the left handlebar switches... perhaps follow that wiring down from the switches to the steering head area... worst case, may have to lift the tank. Looks like a 13-way with 11 wires and 2 unused cavities.

It may also be possible there is some intermittent contact within the windshield switch itself, maybe take that housing apart and give it a spray with contact cleaner and work it a few times.

#10 ·
I know this a past thread;
however I just experienced this.

(Mine is a 2009; non electric shift)

I loosely ran some 14 gauge wire thru one of the plastic ties that holds the wiring harness forward the steering head and under the the top cowling area.

Anyways...
I wiggled the wiring harness a little bit and the windshield went down.
I noticed that if it was pushed a bit towards the frame stay, that it sequenced properly.

Windshield went down and the green neutral light turned off.

Ground issue in that area?

I'm not electrically literate, so I'm just guessing at the moment.

Thoughts?

#11 ·
The wind shield going down & neutral light going off is normal behavior. That's the way it's wired from the factory. If your bike is still factory wired, and I assume it is, the NOT going down & NOT going off is the problem.

Most likely a connection problem. Look at he connector described here -> http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/stop.html

Reactions: bounce
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.