FJR Owners Forum banner

2020 fjr1300

34K views 100 replies 29 participants last post by  StratTuner 
#1 · (Edited)
Are we getting a 2020 bike? Predictions? Personally I felt the Euro 4 regs spoiled the perfect fueling, would hate to see what they'd have to do it to meet Euro 5.

#4 ·
The link posted by Ditch above.

With a view to the upcoming Euro 5 standard, Yamaha is launching the Sport Touring FJR1300 with a final special edition. The Yamaha FJR1300 will be presented as Ultimate Edition at the EICMA in Milan.
The Yamaha FJR1300 has been on the market for over 20 years. Now she is looking forward to her retirement. But not without refilling. At the EICMA the big sports tourer presents itself in a final special edition - the FJR1300 Ultimate Edition.

The comes in an exclusive black patent dress with gold accents, golden rims with FJR logo and numerous black-mounted attachments. It also has a higher, electrically adjustable fairing and additional deflectors. Adjustments to the handlebar and black seat with golden contrasting stitching and embroidered FJR logo to the ergonomics serve. Also on board are hard-shell cases with a special finish, heated grips and a 12 V socket. The Yamaha FJR1300 Ultimate Edition rolls to dealers in December 2019. Prices have not yet been announced.

#10 · (Edited)
On a lark I went looking for something that might replace my FJR. Nothing at Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki or Indian caught my eye. Closest was BMW R1250RT optioned out to $25,000 for cruise control. But, BMW is offering a $1000 incentive to sweeten the deal!

I’m underwhelmed.

The Indian FTR1200S would start to be interesting if it had belt drive, hard bags, and wind/weather protection.

Reactions: HFJeff
#11 ·
On a lark I went looking for something that might replace my FJR. Nothing at Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki or Indian caught my eye. Closest was BMW R1250RT optioned out to $25,000 for cruise control. But, BMW is offering a $1000 incentive to sweeten the deal!

I'm underwhelmed.

The Indian FTR1200S would start to be interesting if it had belt drive, hard bags, and wind/weather protection.
Also the K1600GT.

#16 ·
I’m certainly no expert, but the FJR is a very mildly tuned engine. I would not think it would be that difficult meeting the new standards, especially since it has evolved with modern fuel injection and ride by wire.

#23 ·
Euro 5 doesn’t go into effect for pre-existing models until Jan 1 2021. The Jan 2020 is just for new models. FJR is pre existing so has 1 more year.

Looks like the Concours 14 and FJR may be casualties. The Connie is only being sold in Canada, USA, and Latin America for 2020 models.

#25 ·
Let's them run one batch of plastics then use for years after without having to roll out the molds, or fix/replace for wear.

Reactions: Ditch
#26 ·
They have multiple colours and runs... For Gen3, EU got two or three colours per year. Canada got 2. Pretty boring selection really, nothing except the red, blue or root beer got anyone excited... they got nice reds on other models... I guess sport touring is just boring....
I happen to know the side fairings are done in Germany and the saddlebag lids in India....

#30 ·
What about the police force using FJR's, they will have to continue to support them all around the world ?

Also the concern that the FJR's are not selling in big numbers, what about the other bikes that are twice the price, you don't hear the concern from BMW K1600 or RT's and Honda Wings? Yamaha (worldwide) is making a bulk (80%) of their "motorcycle division profit" on scooters, so it shouldn't be a big deal if they don't sell many FJR's.
To compare, here in Canada, I got the '17 ES new out of the crate at $17K out the door, at the same time a new Goldwing Tour in DCT was $34K out the door, and we all know that the new Wing is not twice-as-better.

Honda redesigned the new Wing to be smaller and lighter (closer in size to FJR,RT,Connie), Yamaha should use the same approach, rather then to discontinue the model, make the FJR a tad bigger, add some missing techs to compete with the Wing, K1600 and other big touring bikes. Also the "sport-touring" classification is a bit too wide (with bikes like Busa,Multistrada,GS,Versys,FJR,etc all in one group) so I think the time has come to add a new category i.e. "power/comfort/2up/touring" or "dynamic/2up/touring", cause that's what Wing, K1600, RT, Connie, FJR etc bikes are. I owned two FJR's,GL1800 and Connie and all I can say is that when I do some spirited group riding with friends on CBR's, ZX-14R, H2-SX I quickly realize how "dynamic touring" is a more appropriate classification for some of my bikes.

Anyway the FJR is a strong and proven platform, and with a bit of tweaking it should continue to be available to the world.

#32 ·
What about the police force using FJR's, they will have to continue to support them all around the world ?
Support isn't ending, only new production.

We don't really know when major components are manufactured, only know the "model year" of the vehicle sold. It could very well be that Yamaha builds 4 years of engines at one time.

#33 ·
Modern manufacturing is to batch build to a number based on their best estimate of sales projections. Release Orders for components will go out to their supply base, who in turn build and send to the manufacturing plant on the dates required. Due to legal regulations, they must be built within timeframe allowed for that model year... and Yamaha won't want their money (materials and labour) tied up in completed bikes, not good business. There is no "inventory" of completed machines to draw from for the next two or three years.
Euro5 will mean no 2021 model year for EU homologation... if sales projections are good for North America, then I expect we'll see a 2021, maybe a 2022... only time will tell.

#35 ·
Agree there will be no completed FJRs to draw on for future model years but that doesn't mean the parts are not warehoused for years before final assembly.

Throughout the 1970's Japanese motorcycles had two dates, the date of manufacture and the model year. Manufacture was always the prior year. Often caused contention with buyers who believed last year's model was being foisted on them as new. Honda started printing the model year on VIN plate in very large font. Even in the USA my 2002 GL1800 was manufactured in July 2001, friend's 2002 was manufactured June 2001. Never checked my FJR but it should be one of the early 2016's, my VIN is 136.

The one thing we really know is that almost no Japanese motorcycle is in continuous year round production. They assemble a year's supply in a week or two, then change to another model, repeat. Perhaps the GL1800 assembly line never stops?

#37 ·
Considering the updates Yamaha has made to the FJR the past few years, I'm not convinced it's going out of production all together. Outside of BMW, it's the only true ST bike that has had any updates at all in the past ten years, and it has had two significant updates in the past ten years. I just don't believe it's a platform that would be hard to make compliant.

I guess two years from now one of us will be wrong. But I'm betting it will be produced for at least some markets.

#38 ·
It simply comes down to cost and what customers are willing to pay. The FJR community is comprised of a small group of cheap bastards that want everything for nothing. Sorry, but it's true.

Yamaha could build an FJR with all the automotive advancements that would comply with the legislation brought about by the climate hoaxers. But will you pay over 20k for it? No. You sorry bastards won't even pay 16k. You'll hold out for a deeply discounted leftover where the dealer loses money but is thankful to at least get some of his money back.

Affect your government regulations, pay more, or your favorite bike dies.

Rant off.

#39 ·
It simply comes down to cost and what customers are willing to pay. The FJR community is comprised of a small group of cheap bastards that want everything for nothing. Sorry, but it's true.

Yamaha could build an FJR with all the automotive advancements that would comply with the legislation brought about by the climate hoaxers. But will you pay over 20k for it? No. You sorry bastards won't even pay 16k. You'll hold out for a deeply discounted leftover where the dealer loses money but is thankful to at least get some of his money back.

Affect your government regulations, pay more, or your favorite bike dies.

Rant off.
Lol. Love it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.