FJR Owners Forum banner

Top 10 Overlooked Maintenance Items

5K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  TTBaddog 
#1 ·

Perhaps the motorcycle manufacturers are to blame. They've made their products so reliable that we take them for granted. We almost feel that if we just keep our bike's tank full and spoon new rubber on the rims when necessary, we've got our machinery handled. Well, that's not quite true, and consequently, many riders tend to overlook basic maintenance for extended periods. While lots of riders have the off-season in which they have the time away from riding to take care of annual upkeep, many little things need to be done on a regular basis throughout the riding season.
Read more about the Top 10 Overlooked Maintenance Items at Motorcycle.com.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll add one to this: Fork Oil Change.

It used to be simple with drain plugs at the bottom of the fork tubes. Now, you have to remove and disassemble the forks to properly change the oil. Almos no one will ever do this (including me).

Dan

Reactions: HFJeff
#5 ·
It is a giant PIA ! Don’t know why they removed the drainscrews (cost reduction) but all of the manufacturers did it. This is one of the things that’s on the “to do” list that I. Need to take a weekend and do, along with plugs and coolant change.

#7 ·
Problem is, the dealer service department's are usually not that familiar with the FJR, they see so few. You'll probably find them looking at the service manual, which the owner could (should) have done

#10 ·
#StopClickBait
11 slides (or more) with ads on each page. Here's there list:

1. Pivot Points (including the levers - but they glossed over removing the brass bushings and cleaning them before lubing them. it allows a visual inspection to see if they need replacing).
2. Coolant
3. Lube cables (on the FJR that would be the throttle only)
4. Brake pads
5. Engine oil level (which is lazy because they double dip with 8)

6. Hydraulic fluid (on the FJR that would be clutch and brakes)
7. Treat your fuel if left setting for more than a few weeks
8. Engine oil change
9. Chain inspection, lube, adjustment (for the FJR that's a clean and lube of the final splines at each tire swap)
10. Tire pressure

#11 ·
Fork Oil Change-
Not that it is a good idea I wonder if one could add a drain hole? It's not rocket surgery, just a tube made of metal. I expect a full disassembly and a peek with a bore scope would answer that question.

#12 ·
A solution looking for a problem?

Reactions: bounce
#13 ·
10. Tire Pressure.

Have I gushed lately about how much I love my cheap Ebay TPMS!!!

Another thing you don't know you can't live without till you get it.

#14 ·
10. Tire Pressure. Have I gushed lately about how much I love my cheap Ebay TPMS!!! Another thing you don't know you can't live without till you get it.
Meh. I've never seen a use case for it on any of my vehicles.

After the Ford/Firestone pickup truck tire debacle (where Firestone ate the bullet to keep the Ford contract so Ford could save face over their owners manual recommendation to run the tires at too low a PSI in an effort to make their truck chassis ride smoother like the GM suspensions did) it became more clear that too many "typical" owners weren't doing even the most basic of maintenance checks. That lead to the legislation that mandates TPMS on cars and light trucks.

Checking your PSI every time I start the day (and before any "special" run later in the day) has always been plenty for me and sure is a lot less spendy for a good gauge than some high-tech whatchamacallit. They are in all my cars now but my routine means they've never triggered.

#18 ·
TPMS has saved me a couple or three times...... there are lots of good TPMS systems out there now for like $50-80. Rupse, SteelMate, etc. Fobo a decent deal at $100. The Rupse is the same unit as the one at tpms.ca. I wouldn't be without one.

#19 ·
Part of the challenge with a TPMS is finding a place to mounts the appx 1" x 1" display where it can be seen. My TPMS will flash red if it detects a drop and alarm, yeah I am going to hear that...
Well, at least it is entertaining to see what the temp rise is as you ride and toying with the initial starting pressure in order to see the 10 to 15% pressure increase so you know they are heating up correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.