FJR Owners Forum banner

7 Click GP Levers Anyone?

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  rbentnail 
#1 ·
I don't know what material the clutch and brake levers are made from but both the FJR and my old ST gave me a very dirty left hand after riding 20 min in heavy traffic. I tried cleaning them, but no improvement, so it must be the metal that "rubs off" on my fingers.

So, I decided to try 3rd party levers: 7 Click GP Levers. They arrived today, but I don't think they fit, despite them being specifically for the FJR. The hole that the brake activation pin slides into is not quite as deep as the original lever, which means that the brakes are activated slightly even before I touch the lever. The difference is less than a millimeter, but that's enough to not fully release the brake.

I'm obviously not going to ride like this. Has anyone else tried these levers? I guess I could drill the hole a bit deeper, but feel this shouldn't be necessary on levers specifically made for this bike...

#2 ·
I have those on my Gen I are commute daily and do some long rides here and there.

They were drop in for me on my install. Just a dab of auto grease on the cable biscuits.

Love them. I ride with 2-3 fingers though.

But holla to a fellow Seattle area rider!

Reactions: mortenk
#3 ·
I've had them on my bike for so long the red had faded to pink. Great product, great comfort improvement.

#5 · (Edited)
ASV or CRG are the ONLY aftermarket levers I’ll ever buy. The rest are merely bad copies.

There are just too many things that can go wrong with a poorly designed front brake lever.

ASV and CRG are designed by Engineers, not just copies. Pazzo is a perfect example of a blatant rip off of CRG. Decades of track days and a degree in Mechanical Engineering makes me VERY particular about how an aftermarket piece will fit and affect my bikes.

#9 · (Edited)
Shoot, I thought Pazzo was sort of the gold standard. I'm clueless.
ASV or CRG are the ONLY aftermarket levers I'll ever buy. The rest are merely bad copies.

There are just too many things that can go wrong with a poorly designed front brake lever.

ASV and CRG are designed by Engineers, not just copies. Pazzo is a perfect example of a blatant rip off of CRG. Decades of track days and a degree in Mechanical Engineering makes me VERY particular about how an aftermarket piece will fit and affect my bikes.

#8 ·
Update: the replacement part that the seller sent me was identical - not surprised. This confirmed that we are basically dealing with a poor fit - at least for the Gen III FJR. This weekend I decided to fix this, so I drilled the hole for the brake pin about 1 mm deeper. This removed the slight pressure on the brakes before I even touch the lever. I then found that the brake light would come on a little late due to another poor fit on the part that activates the brake light switch. After removing about a micrometer using my Dremel tool, it now works perfectly fine. Yay. I had no issues with the clutch lever - fit nicely with no modifications.

I like the look and feel of these levers - they put less pressure on your fingers (due to the shape) and offer better adjustment options than stock. We'll see how well they last I guess...

#10 ·
Pazzo levers are premium quality.

They may be a copy of CRG or whomever. But they are not a cheap copy. That's for sure.

I'm not "in the know" on all levers available and if their are better levers than by all means I'd like to see them and would probably buy a set.

I do have the Pazzo levers and they have been great and long lasting.

I had no idea they were a copy of a race quality brand.

My 2 cents.

#12 ·
I've had Pazzo's on Triumph's.

I had The2Wheel.com cheap stuff that outlasted my ownership on my 2012 Super Tenere.

I also put the 2wheel on my most recent sale of my 2018 MT-09.

I'd probably opt for them on the FJR I'm getting this Friday...2014 "A"

#13 ·
Keep your old levers and a wrench with you on the 2014 for a couple of days. 2wheels were not machined properly in my case. Major clutch slippage. Only the fact that I carry stuff to back out of “new”
mods for a day or two kept me from having to get a ride home and come back with tools and stock levers. I know guys that have had great service from their levers. Mine were useless. At least the left one was. :)

#19 ·
Keep your old levers and a wrench with you on the 2014 for a couple of days. 2wheels were not machined properly in my case. Major clutch slippage. Only the fact that I carry stuff to back out of "new"
mods for a day or two kept me from having to get a ride home and come back with tools and stock levers. I know guys that have had great service from their levers. Mine were useless. At least the left one was. :)
Funny you mention this. I actually put the OEM levers and a wrench+screwdriver under the seat for now, just in case. So far so good. If I experience any clutch slipping I will buy an extra of the little "round things" where the clutch pin goes in, and simply drill the hole a little deeper. That will relieve pressure while lever is resting. This is what I had to do for the brake lever, but here I could simply drill into the new lever itself...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.