Some Local Riding - Video - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By david1300

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Smile Some Local Riding - Video

I got a Sony X1000V ActionCam http://www.cnet.com/au/products/sony-4k-action-cam/ as a gift a few months ago and have been having some fun with it, so I thought I'd share some of it here:

Another Saturday Morning Breakfast Ride in SE Qld on a beautiful late Autumn day. A bit of everything - the customary early morning speeding tax collector in his unmarked car; our less-than perfect roads (some are a downright disgrace), many groups of motorcyclists out and about (some with a very slow and regimented idea of fun), and some breathtakingly beautiful scenery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W08PmZioUI

IBA 21684

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Cracks in, sorry, on the road

And while our roads aren't all good, we sometimes spot unexpected cracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGW2grUH28s

IBA 21684

Brakes
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:04 PM
Farkle Trainee

Well done! Thanks for sharing. Looks like a beautiful part of the world!

Would you mind posting a photo of your camera mounted to the bike? I like your location a lot and would like to see where/how you have it mounted if you don't mind.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser Dude View Post
Well done! Thanks for sharing. Looks like a beautiful part of the world!

Would you mind posting a photo of your camera mounted to the bike? I like your location a lot and would like to see where/how you have it mounted if you don't mind.
Will do a little later. Just a little background on my camera choice. I am a Sony camera fan as we have a number of their products, some for many years. Their quality is very good and their local product support is very good too. Also, the battery for the X1000V is the same as used in other Sony cameras I have, so I already have spare batteries. (The X1000V does not like aftermarket batteries).

When this model came out it had these features that were important for me: Stabilisation, change field of view (170' or 120', GPS tracking (turns out not to such a big deal - I'd go to jail if I included it in my videos ), 4K filming (which gives an excellent picture, but only shoots in 170' wide view. I like the narrower FoV to get the bikes ahead closer). It also comes with a waterproof/dustproof case which is handy when riding in all weather (it does cause a red dot when facing the sun - no big deal, but easily eliminated without the case).

Anyway, piccies of the mounting to follow a little later.

IBA 21684

Brakes
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

The camera mount is a longer description that I realised. Firstly, I use the left mirrot mount on the switchblock - it has a thread M10x1.25 hole (not sure if this is still there on Gen 3, but I think it is). Mount one of these mirror extenders http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pair-CNC-...8AAOSwJQdW-MYN I used one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Set-Mir...QAAMXQ83xSEUQd. Make sure the male thread is M10x1.25. as I wanted to mount a RAM Ball in the hole (you can get RAM Balls with a M10x1.25 thread , or ones that have an 8mm through bolt, so the female thread can be either of these configurations).

I my case I mounted 2 1" Ram balls (RAM-B-349U) as you can see in the piccie - the inner one is for my Garmin GPS and the outer one is for the camera.

This what the mount looks like in place:

You should be able to see the adapter bolt here (black). There is a trick to bolting this in place as there isn't enough visible to get a wrench (spanner) on the nut section (ask me if you don't know how):

And with the camera mounts (using a RAM 1" Ball with 1/4-20 Male Threaded Post for Cameras):

And another view - I prefer this 'lower position' as it gets the mirror in shot and creates a more interesting view:

And the handlebar mount on my FZ1 using the RAM-B-309-1U handlebar clutch/brake clamp :

And the last piccie - this is if I want rearward shots, mounted on my FZ1 under the topbox. I forgot to mention that another feature I wanted in a camera is the ability to invert the camear but still have the image record 'heads up':

On my FZ1 i have used this for the on-handlebar attachment: RAM Motorcycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir Base with 1" Ball
The RAM-B-309-1U

IBA 21684

Brakes
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

I mentioned the 'flip' feature - well, just to show all of you how challenging is is to ride down under in Australia, this is a short video (90 sec) givingh you a taste. You guys don't know how good you have it 'up there'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Bh...ature=youtu.be

IBA 21684

Brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page