Have Toys, Will Travel. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 371Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1051 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Have Toys, Will Travel.

After 46 years of grubbing around in the internal workings of aircraft too numerous to mention, I decided that I had had enough, so I told my boss to stick his job up his ass, and I retired,,, about 6 weeks ago. I ordered myself a new Jayco Basestation, Toyhauler caravan, and soon my girl and I will hit the road and join the ranks of the Grey Nomads who circulate endlessly around Australia, never to be seen again.

Today, amidst great excitement, and the exchange of a huge wad of cash, we took delivery of the new caravan. Below are a few pictures to celebrate the event. We still have a lot of setting up to do, and will take a few short practice runs to iron out the bugs. We also have to move out of the house which we are renting, and get rid of a life times accumulation of junk. Space is a bit limited in a caravan, especially when half of it is a garage. Then we will set off, probably in mid January.

You didn't think I would abandon my bike did You??? But what I'm looking for now, is one of those 20mm cannons to mount on the back of my ute, so that I can shoot at any aircraft that happen to fly over my camp. There should be plenty of them lying around in Iraq about now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1051 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Nice! My wife and I plan to do this same thing (around the USA) when I retire in a couple of years. We've been trying to decide if we should get a toy haling trailer and truck or a class C toy hauling motorhome. Did you contemplate the same or was your choice an obvious one?

Hope your adventures are safe and many!
rkymtnrider likes this.

Naturally air conditioned since 1979
IBA #59875
'14 Yamaha FJR1300ES (VIN #15)
'08 Yamaha FZ6, '08 Yamaha FJR1300AE, '93 Yamaha XJ600, '84 Yamaha FJ600, '81 Yamaha 550 Maxim, '78 Yamaha 400 SX...see a pattern here?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 1051 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

I didn't want a motor home because they are too big and cumbersome. If for instance, you are parked up in a camp ground, and you want to pop down to the local shops to pick up a loaf of bread, you have to pack up your entire camp to do it.

With my setup, my vehicle, which is a 4x4, is available for shopping or off road exploring, or, I can pull out the bike and tour the local area, and even camp out for a few days using the small bike trailer.

post #4 of 1051 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
That makes sense and is the same argument for the two vehicles option. However, if you just needed bread, you have your FJR to run that errand! Needing a couple bags of groceries is a completely different situation...
rkymtnrider likes this.

Naturally air conditioned since 1979
IBA #59875
'14 Yamaha FJR1300ES (VIN #15)
'08 Yamaha FZ6, '08 Yamaha FJR1300AE, '93 Yamaha XJ600, '84 Yamaha FJ600, '81 Yamaha 550 Maxim, '78 Yamaha 400 SX...see a pattern here?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 1051 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Now that's an awesome set up! I'm envious! I retired in 2009 but have just been planted here in the desert since then (not that that's a bad thing, mind you).

I've often dreamed of selling all the junk, buying a rig similar to yours and just going wherever the days take me with no particular destination in mind.

I might still do it once/if the GF sells her espresso shop here in Lakeview. Anyone looking for a turnkey business they can just walk right into and take over? Perfect for someone (or their spouse) transitioning into retirement.

Prime location - in the middle of nowhere...

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
1981 Yamaha XS850 SH "Midnight Special"
1980 Yamaha XS850 SG "Special"
post #6 of 1051 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

Nice! Was thinking along the same lines. Keep us up to date on your travels! Do what you can while you can...!

2006 Cobalt Blue FJR1300
Throttle Meister
MV Riser Plate
Pirate's Lair Backrest
Spencer Mod Seat
Cal Sci Large Windscreen
MCL Lowering Passenger Pegs
T-Rex Sliders & Luggage Guards
RAM GPS & Phone Mounts
Michelin PR4s
Some Cheap Blue Leds
post #7 of 1051 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

YOU ROCK BERNIE!! Have the time of your life.
post #8 of 1051 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 06:04 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

hey Bernie make sure the missus gets some practice runs because you are going to stop jump on your bike and tell her to follow especially when you get to the no speed limit roads in NT (let us know if you get to the 250kph top speed) and good on you Bernie perhaps you can carry a moped on the back of the bike trailer so as you can run down the shop when you have set up camp away from camp with the yammie/trailer now that would make you king of the nomads and remember the nomad slogan adventure before dementure
physdon71 likes this.
post #9 of 1051 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 03:22 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
That looks so very cool Bernie! I would love to do something like that some day soon. Have a BLAST guy!

-The U.S. Constitution: I subscribe to it for the Articles.

Current Rides:
2013 FJR1300
2008 Bandit 1250
2006 FJR1300-A
post #10 of 1051 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

That is awesome, Bernie. Make sure you keep my telephone number in your phone in case you are over on the east coast

Next weekend is our State of Origin ride and we will be doing the Oxley Highway - you'll remember that road from a few years ago

IBA 21684

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page