Have Toys, Will Travel. - Page 110 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 408Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1091 of 1099 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 12:47 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Agreed. I just want to ride them... LOL

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1092 of 1099 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Lynn & I have wanted to see the new Visitor Centre at Cradle Mountain for some weeks now, but the weather has been so cold at night, that there was a danger of black ice on the road, and I didn't want to risk it.

But today dawned bright, clear, and warm enough that there was no danger of ice, so we jumped on the mighty Super Tenere and set off. Well, it turned out to be a perfect ride, no wind, no traffic, magnificent scenery, and one of the best, twistiest roads in Tasmania. I had a ball.

The visitor centre is a most impressive building, but I was surprised at how small the internal rooms are. The shop and cafe in particular, are tiny. I have seen upwards of a thousand cars, and dozens of buses parked here in the high season, probably 5000 people, and I don't think this facility is big enough.

However, with the pandemic and lockdown, there were very few people today, and we had no trouble. We sat outside to have our coffee and cake, and I was soon mobbed by about 20 hungry Currawongs with big, pointy beaks, who ate most of my cake. We have been to Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain many times, so we didn't bother going out there today.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SSTqVWwh8u2ZqL488
nunia720 likes this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #1093 of 1099 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Today we repeated one of my favorite rides, to the Wings Wildlife Park at Gunns Plains. This ride was only 187 Km, but towards the end I was sobbing in my helmet at the thought of having to pull the clutch lever one more time. If you look at my speed graph, note how my speed is constantly going up and down, well, every change in speed requires at least 2 gear changes, so you can imagine how many times I pulled the clutch lever, my hand and forearm were in agony.

The Wings Wildlife Park is a great place to visit. It has free entry to an excellent cafe, and to the paddocks where the large animals are kept. To see the smaller animals, birds, and reptiles, you have to pay an entry fee. We have seen it before, so we didn't bother this time. It has an excellent selection.

Attached are a number of photos of the animals, and a video of part of the ride as we departed the park and Gunns Plains.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7jkkKiSorgeE4yav9
rbentnail and nunia720 like this.

post #1094 of 1099 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Today we took a very pleasant 162 Km (100 Mile) coffee ride down to the Berry Patch Cafe at Turners Beach. We have never been there before, so I didn't know what to expect, or where exactly it was. So I entered the address into my GPS, and the nagging nanny's voice guided me there. I had a moments confusion when entering Turners Beach, and the nanny directed me onto the freeway On Ramp, which is the way out. But she was quite right, the turn off to the cafe is half way down the On Ramp.

Once there, I was surprised to find a fairly large, and very popular establishment, and with good reason. There is lots of seating, both inside and outside, and a very good selection of food, even including a Wood fired Pizza oven. I was drooling, but it's our diet day, coffee only allowed.

The ride itself took us from sea level to 740 Meters (2,400 Feet) and back again, with fantastic wiggly roads, mountain views, ocean views, beautiful green farms, dense temperate rain forest, and virtually no traffic. I think I'm in heaven.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zjSusgf4s3Mb5zfS8

post #1095 of 1099 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

It was a lovely sunny morning, though a bit cool, when we set off to our standing Sunday breakfast reservation at the Earthwater Cafe. We had our usual delicious feast, followed by a few photos of the surrounds, a Kookaburra on the lookout, and huge Bumble Bees in the flowers.

Then we departed to the town of Westbury where a car show was in progress. I am always amazed by the size and quality of these shows on a tiny island like Tasmania. There must have been over 500 vehicles on display.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DKkzScXLdMPEy5EM6
rbentnail likes this.

post #1096 of 1099 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM
Training wheels fitted!

G,day Bernie, I知 in Western Australia and have been thing of upgrading to the basestation as well, I知 on my own now still have the jaco expanda, thanks for the photos i was wondering how the fjr fitted, let us know how it tows with all that weight at the back, probably meet up on the road next year in the great outback,
post #1097 of 1099 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwhaler View Post
G,day Bernie, I知 in Western Australia and have been thing of upgrading to the basestation as well, I知 on my own now still have the jaco expanda, thanks for the photos i was wondering how the fjr fitted, let us know how it tows with all that weight at the back, probably meet up on the road next year in the great outback,
Hi Oldwhaler, as you are on your own, I would recommend that you get the smaller Jayco "Work n Play" rather than the bigger model.
The big ones really are a pain in the arse to get into, and out of, many of the caravan parks around Australia.

The weight of the bike in the back of the van is not a problem, it is negligible in comparison to the weight of the van. The real problem is getting the bike in and out of the van. The FJR has very little ground clearance under the engine, so, as you go up the ramp and over the apex where the door/ramp hinges onto the floor of the van, the bottom of the bike may hit the hinge ridge. If this happens, the bike will suddenly stop, and you and the bike will fall down. You also may have problems with wheel spin and skidding as you power up the ramp.

You can reduce these problems by jacking up the front of the van, thus lowering the back, and reducing the angle of the ramp. Or, you can buy a bike with more ground clearance, like the Yamaha Super Tenere, which is what I did.

Also, you should get a tow vehicle with a manual gearbox, towing a heavy van with an auto, is just asking for trouble.
See the photos and video here. https://photos.app.goo.gl/w6aU9QFDgYegL7Lp1

post #1098 of 1099 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:24 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Nice Bernie. Looks like the nicer weather is moving in! We're well into our autumn here, the leaves are covering the yard with many more to come. Won't be long 'til I put her up for a few.
Bernie likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1099 of 1099 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks Bernie,all this type of info is invaluable, yes sadly i lost my wife 4 years ago , I致e returned to riding the bike and 1 host in the campgrounds for the parks and wildlife, hence I知 away from home a lot and would love to take the bike with me, opens up a vast way to see everything whilst doing the big lap around australia, hope to get to tassie next year.
Bernie likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page