Have Toys, Will Travel. - Page 108 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 397Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1071 of 1083 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

We had a busy day on Sunday. Started off with our usual delicious breakfast at the Earthwater Cafe, then motored through to Railton to see a bike show. We went in the car because I don't like leaving our very expensive riding gear sitting on the bike while we wander around the show, too many sticky fingers around, even in Tasmania.

There was an impressive selection of bikes on show, including 3 immaculate Kawasaki Z900's, and a rare Suzuki 125 Stinger, a bike I can remember lusting after when I was still a school boy. I can't believe how people can keep an old bike looking so good, you could never actually ride it, so what's the point, it's for display only, and I find that sad.

Then we motored through to Deloraine to meet a fellow Rhodesian bikie from Bulawayo called Bert Furmston, who is working on a wind power generating farm up at Wadamana in the central highlands. Bert saw my posts on FB and looked me up. We met and had a delightful "whenwe" session over a meal and coffee. It was great to meet some one who can relate to your experiences.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mNNGH67C6eNAXqSA7

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1072 of 1083 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

There was another bike show in Ulverstone this weekend, so we took a drive down with a friend from Mole Creek, to reminisce over our old bikes, and very enjoyable it was too. On the way, we managed to show the friend, who is a local, some roads and scenery that he had never seen before.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HLcWudgoG8vw3HL16
RaYzerman and rbentnail like this.

post #1073 of 1083 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

It's been a busy weekend. On Saturday we had a morning market at the Mole Creek public hall, and an agricultural show at the village of Chudleigh, a few Km down the road. Today, we had our usual breakfast at the Earthwater Cafe, in glorious sunshine, then rode to Deloraine to see the annual car show.

Once again, there was an astonishing number of high quality, and high value, machines on display. I was only able to photograph a small percentage of them. Thankfully, it was a relatively cool day, +20C, but it was still hot work wandering around in full leathers looking at cars, I soon lost interest.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PcXLmFGkMs5ZMBLa7

post #1074 of 1083 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

I fitted a new pair of Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 tyres to the bike yesterday, the old pair had done 10K Km, and could have gone a bit further, but with the possibility of a complete Covid 19 lockdown looming, I decided to get the new tyres fitted ASAP. The bike shop charged me $118 to fit and balance the tyres, even though I removed and refitted the wheels myself, bastards.

So, today we naturally had to go for a ride to scrub in the new tyres. Now, I know all you Corona experts are going to jump all over me, but we are not in lockdown yet, and we took precautions to avoid any public contact. We took our own tea in a flask, and went to a very remote place. Even our local fuel station is a self service place with a credit card machine.

The ride was to the Leven Canyon, a place we have been to several times, but the ride is awesome, especially with an almost total absence of tourists, they have all been banned and sent back to the big island. The only glitch was new road works over the Gog Mountain range, we hit a couple of Kilometers of fresh, wet, tar, overlaid with heaps of loose gravel. Anyway, the new tyres are now well scrubbed in.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/53swmh4xyhas7srC7

post #1075 of 1083 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 07:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Nice, Bernie! Gotta have some therapy, be safe! As I read your reports, many place names are familiar, some shared in the Commonwealth, many taken from Britain, but others unique to Taz and the Big Island. Enjoying the cultural education and the scenery!!
Bernie likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #1076 of 1083 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

It was a cold, frosty morning, but calm, clear, and sunny, so it soon warmed up enough to go for a stress relieving, exercise ride, from home to home around Mount Roland. Hardly anything is open for business at the moment, even the National Parks are closed, so we took a flask of tea and some cake to have along the way.

What a glorious ride, hardly any traffic, just a few logging trucks and tradesmen or farmers buzzing around in their utes. The views were fantastic, with some of the big mountains, including Cradle Mountain, still covered with snow. But, no one to talk to, it felt like we were the only people left on Earth.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X6A3LXGFU5fr1jLT8
rbentnail likes this.

post #1077 of 1083 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

If you have half an hour to waste, here is a video of an exercise "Restore Sanity Ride", or alternatively "End of the World Ride", which we did to relieve the stress of lockdown. There's nobody out there, except for a couple of huge trucks, one of which tried to kill us. It was a gloomy day, but the ride brightened up our spirits. We rode from Mole Creek to nowhere, and back to Mole Creek, which was the bit I video recorded. There was a little drizzle at the end of the ride, making blurred spots on the lens, and the music is by Pete Cornelius.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tpGnjc2c7bANrdzn7

post #1078 of 1083 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

The North West coast of Tasmania was released from severe lockdown on Sunday, so we took the opportunity to ride down to Devenport to get some spares from Supercheap to service my Bike. This is the closest place where the correct parts are available.

It was a beautiful day, so we decided to take a longer route home, and enjoy the ride. Here are a few pictures, and a 10 minute video of the route from Upper Castra to Wilmot, through the Wilmot River Gorge. Road gradients here are too steep for big trucks and caravans, but great on a motorbike. We stopped at the Wilmot general store for a coffee, it was the only place open.

It was a very enjoyable 174 Km shopping trip. The video camera struggles a bit with the transition from deep shadow to bright sunlight, as do my eyes.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6icnYBx6VQHaW8gd9

post #1079 of 1083 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

After some 8 weeks in Corona lockdown, I needed something to cheer me up, so I decided a new bike might do the trick. My nearest Yamaha dealer is the "City Bike Centre" in Devonport, they have recently re-built their showroom, which I hadn't seen yet, so we dropped in there. I was very impressed, they also sell Honda's, and they had a very good display of both types, plus plenty of accessories. To my surprise, they had a new Super Tenere XT1200ZE on the floor, and a very good salesman, I was hooked, and we agreed that I would pick up the new bike the next morning.

We rushed home, and I spent the afternoon and evening stripping all my accessories off my old bike, and getting it ready for sale. The next day, I trailered the old bike into the dealer, and picked up the new one, and paid the agreed $17,000 change over price. Then it was back home, and another afternoon re-fitting my accessories, I finished it off this morning. These included the top box and rack, tank bag, GPS and wiring, and the crash bars,

This bike is the top of the range model with electronic suspension adjustment, whereas my last bike was the base model. The electronics and wiring on this thing is beyond belief, every square inch of space is jammed full of electronic boxes. I'm afraid I kept the old bike too long, when the salesman heard that I had done 60,000 Km in 3 years, his eyes nearly fell out of his head, and the trade in value dropped by 3 grand. He is used to getting trade in bikes with only 5,000 Km on the clock.

Well, the bike is ready to go, except for a fender extender and hugger, which I couldn't take off the old bike, I will have to order them in from over seas. But the weather is ratshit, so we will ride tomorrow, after I have studied the owners manual and figured out how to operate all the new features.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WL2VKtVZQos1WE9t8
rbentnail likes this.

post #1080 of 1083 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 06:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well it was bound to happen. 3 yrs is a long time in Bernie-bike years. Congrats!

I've been wondering how your weather's been. We're beginning to get warmer days tho it's still near freezing some nights.
Bernie likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page