Have Toys, Will Travel. - Page 107 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 383Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1061 of 1070 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonic View Post
As always, good info, good writing. It has been a little letdown, you not being on the road lately. LOL

Did you get rid of the toy hauler?
Yes, the toy hauler is gone. There were three reasons for this. 1. There is a little bridge across the stream that runs across my front yard, the van was too big to cross this bridge. 2. I needed the money to buy furniture for my new (old) house. 3. I am nearly 70 years old, the caravan life was becoming too stressful for me, and I have now seen the whole of Australia, it was pointless to just keep on going round and round.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1062 of 1070 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Being creatures of habit, Lynn & I usually go for a breakfast ride on Sunday morning. Why we do this, I don't know, as we are retired and every day is Sunday, but there you go.

It was a perfect day for riding, cool, sunny, and no wind, so after a lovely breakfast at the Earthwater Cafe, which is only 5 Km from my house, we continued on around some of our favourite roads, even some dirt roads, with a further stop at the Cradle Forest Inn. We met some bikers from Sheffield there, and had a friendly chat. Lots of bikers out today enjoying the riding.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ne19sFDT5koXq5QWA
passx likes this.

post #1063 of 1070 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 07:07 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Nice! We're hearing on the news that Australia is having highest temperatures ever recorded there. Are you guys not effected much by it?

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1064 of 1070 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Nice! We're hearing on the news that Australia is having highest temperatures ever recorded there. Are you guys not effected much by it?
Thankfully no, the temperatures here in Tasmania have remained pleasantly cool so far, but there is a fairly severe drought and some bush fires on the East side of the island. The West and North West sides have received reasonable rain.

post #1065 of 1070 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

With no children, relatives, or close friends nearby, it was going to be a quiet Christmas day for Lynn and I, so we dragged out the bike and went for a blast around the Great Lakes race track. And it was the perfect day for a blast, temperature around +18C, no wind, and mostly sunny. Also, there was hardly any traffic, we only passed around 10 cars on the whole 250 Km ride, though of course, we met most of them on blind, hairpin bends.

The first part of the ride was through the beautiful farm lands between Mole Creek and Deloraine, then it was onto a dirt stretch called Bogan Road (really) which winds through the forest at the base of the Western Tiers, lovely trees, ferns, flowers, and streams along here. Then we went back onto tar road and the climb up passed the Poatina hydro-electric power station, which draws it's water from the Great Lake through a tunnel, and then a massive pipe down the side of the mountain.

I made a video recording of this climb for your entertainment, note the pedal cyclists walking their bikes up the mountain, they must have questioned their own sanity as the mighty Tenere thundered passed. The run across the plateau was fast but uneventful. We couldn't stop at the Great Lakes Hotel because it was booked out for Christmas lunch. Nothing else was open.

Thankfully, the road passed Liawenee has been repaired, it was full of huge potholes the last time we went through. Then it was down the mountain to Golden Valley, this bit of road is even better than the Poatina climb. We went through Deloraine hoping to find somewhere to have a coffee, but it was dead, so we continued on home to relieve our sore bums and have some lunch.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VaZp2oFmjnuDurDN9

post #1066 of 1070 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Cafe Bozzey is only about 200 Meters up the road from my front gate in Mole Creek. The lady owner, Kim, rides the F3 MV Augusta motorcycle shown in my pictures, that's her standing next to the bike.

Today is forecast to be hot, +28C, here in Mole Creek, so we got an early start and rode a massive 5 Km to Earthwater cafe for breakfast on the sun deck, then rode back to Bozzey for an additional coffee and a chinwag with the locals. It's a tough life being retired in Mole Creek.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TcpGGyk9ZPieXE3s7

post #1067 of 1070 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

I think I'm in heaven, without the inconvenience of having to die first. Today, the weather was perfect, clear, calm, sunny, and the temperature around +20C.

A good woman, a good bike, a great restaurant nearby to have breakfast at, followed by a ride through the best roads and scenery in Australia.

Mind you, we nearly did go to the real heaven. We were sweeping into a steep downhill 180 degree bend, when we were confronted by an arsehole in a Toyota Hilux coming towards us in the wrong, my, lane. Fortunately, we both had quick reactions and managed to avoid a collision. I briefly thought about turning around, chasing him down, and blowing his head off, but then I remembered that I don't have my sawn off 12 bore any more.

We stopped again at Sheffield for a cup of tea, and watched the bikies come and go for a while, then rode home to Mole Creek.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h8i8ZWAukvtWnBs98
Little Joe likes this.

post #1068 of 1070 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

Bernie

Your trailer sounded expensive , but in true Aussie fashion it is very well built and will stand up to real world usage. Well thought out
Ironically, your Super "Tenere" is the only colour I have seen on them that I really like. It was only ever available in Canada in 2015 in that colour.

Always enjoy your rides/pics.
Bernie likes this.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #1069 of 1070 (permalink) Old Today, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Today's ride was out to the Wings Wildlife Park at Gunns Plains for a coffee and a look at the animals. They have a good restaurant and a terrific selection of animals here for a small park in the middle of nowhere, Tasmania. They even have a couple of North American Bison Bulls, which they managed to cross with a domestic cow to produce a Beefalo calf, there is a picture of it below. The park has two sections, one you have to pay, a lot, to enter, and this contains small animals, birds, and reptiles. The other section is free to enter and contains large birds and big animals. We didn't go to the pay section today, because we have seen it before.

The ride itself is one of the most strenuous in Tasmania. It's 200 Km of non stop mountainous, wiggly, roads, with a thousand blind corners and rises, around which there could be anything from a 20 ton log truck, to a camper van full of Asian tourists, it's exhausting. You can see from my speed graph that there is no cruising here, I am constantly on the accelerator, brakes, clutch, and gearbox. Fortunately, Lynn is the perfect pillion rider, she doesn't upset my riding at all.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZQXLNSPVp2UQhPA89
FlatTop likes this.

post #1070 of 1070 (permalink) Old Today, 09:30 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Thanks Bernie, I really enjoy your pictures and reports a bunch !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page