Have Toys, Will Travel. - Page 101 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 397Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1001 of 1083 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:34 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

"too hot", that's a good one ! We're having some of the coldest nights of our winter lately. As always, I'm grateful you guys take time to take us along.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1002 of 1083 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

I pity you guys in the northern hemisphere at the moment your having the coldest winter on record, but here in oz we've just had the hot record breaking temperature, 51dg now we're having flooding up north Queensland, strange whether systems all round?
post #1003 of 1083 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

The peak of summer has passed, and today was just perfect for riding, photography, and recording videos. We had a top temperature of +20C and no wind. The morning sunlight was bright and sharp, ideal for photos, then after a coffee stop at the Wings Wildlife Park, a light high cover of clouds had moved in, reducing the contrast between sunlight and shadow, which is better for video recording.

The character of the countryside has changed as well, the green grass of spring has dried out and turned to brown, and the farmers have cut and baled all their paddocks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TpfNBf7eu1nZq27P9
rbentnail likes this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.

post #1004 of 1083 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Today we took a drive down to Ulverstone to see the North West Motorcycle Show, and to meet my old friend Richard Prince and his wife Anne. We went in the Ford because I didn't want to cart all our bikie gear around the show, and the weather was cool and threatening rain. The show was mainly aimed at Harley riders, but there were a number of more interesting bikes.

After the show, we went into town and had lunch and a chat at one of the many restaurants, a most enjoyable day.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uFhD7motqcW4sZ4X7
https://nwmotorcycleshow.org.au/

post #1005 of 1083 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

A couple of days of rain, and night time snow, has put out the fires up on the Western Tiers at last, and the roads have been re-opened, so we took a ride up there for a look see, and to have lunch at the Great Lakes Hotel.

The fire damage is horrific, a huge area has been burnt out, but very few houses were lost as far as I know. The weather up there today was cold, +8C, and very windy with rain showers, so we had coffee laced with whiskey, and chicken soup for lunch, lovely.

We were very pleasantly surprised to find that the stretch of road running passed the Great Lake is now fully sealed at last. They have been working on it for the last 3 years that I know of, and it is only about 20 Km long FFS. It was so nice not having to struggle through mud, gravel, pot holes, and corrugations along that section.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KsfZ1vNtNS6o19sV6

post #1006 of 1083 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

There was a car show in Deloraine today, so we took a ride up for a look. It always amazes me how a small place like Tasmania, can put on such a large display of impressive vehicles. The main street is about a Kilometer long, and it was closely packed on both sides with display vehicles.

But I always make the same mistake, it was quite cool this morning when we set off, so we got dressed in our warm riding gear. Of course, when we got there, the blazing hot sun came out, and I was soon an overheated, bad tempered, little ****. I couldn't wait to get out of there, and get a cool breeze on the motorbike.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mV3fLjxzBUgT5vf28
rbentnail and Little Joe like this.

post #1007 of 1083 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Lynn had found out that the Queen Elizabeth Cruise Ship, (aka Sheep Carrier), was going to be in the port town of Burnie today, so we jumped on the bike and rode down to have a look at it. Well, Burnie is my least favorite town in Tasmania, it's road system is a complete mess, even my GPS gets lost in there.

We couldn't find any vantage point to get good photos, couldn't get onto the dock, and there are no bike parking spaces in the whole town. Eventually, we parked in a car bay, bought a parking ticket, and went to get some breakfast. The breakfast was quite good, but we overstayed the limit on the parking ticket, and got back to the bike just as the inspector was writing out the fine. Fortunately, Lynn managed to charm her out of issuing the ticket, and we departed rejoicing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5yTrwSqwndVQLS1q9

post #1008 of 1083 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Very cool! I think that's my favourite kind of day-long destination ride: when you see an advert, hop on and go.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1009 of 1083 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

This morning, we left the van at 06:30 AM, in the dark, to ride down to Devonport to meet Charley Boorman and his group, who had just arrived on the Spirit Of Tasmania, to tour the Island.

We met in the Cafe Inn-Dulgence at 07:00 AM for breakfast and a talk by, and with, Charley, which was very interesting. We may meet them again at the end of their Tas circuit for a BBQ.

Charley Boorman is well known by bikers for his "Long Way Around/Down TV series/rides.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KftyMPg7dbiXM8md7

https://www.bikeroundoz.com/guided_t...d-victoria.asp

post #1010 of 1083 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have shown photos of all these views before, but today was special, so we went to see them again. The temperature was a perfect +20C, no wind, deep blue sky, and the air so clean and clear that we could see for 100 Km at least.

However, this is the tourist season in Tasmania, and there were thousands of them buzzing around all over the place, but it's the bikers that worry me the most. They come over from the big Island, and go mad on the wonderful roads here. You have wannabe Rossi's ripping around the bends, and my biggest fear is to have a head-on with one of them who has over-cooked a corner.

So, today we just took a short ride to Sheffield for coffee, and then to the local view points, and stayed off the most popular race tracks. Now, we are hiding in the van, and listening to the bikes howling passed the van park.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J45XebNvvkozp5N28

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page