Help me choose - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 12:22 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

2,4,7,8 - either of the 4 look good.

I was just there on September 28th - ended up buying a couple of images as well. One was in the full sun, you can see every single bug that died getting me down there from Minnesota. The other is in shade, you can't see my face as well, but the motorcycle looks clean. So I have a sharp/bright/bug-filled image and a sharp/shaded/looks-clean image.

The plan was to go through 129 only once, but I messed up on my map reading, booked a hotel in Knoxville, and then realized that the best way back to the hotel I'd just booked was to turn around and go back through The Dragon again.. at dusk. The road sure was a lot quieter as it was getting close to sunset!

The following day I rode the Cherohala Skyway... in the rain... in 42-degree weather. That was less fun, but still a good day.
the Ferret likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles.Robinson View Post
2,4,7,8 - either of the 4 look good.

I was just there on September 28th - ended up buying a couple of images as well. One was in the full sun, you can see every single bug that died getting me down there from Minnesota. The other is in shade, you can't see my face as well, but the motorcycle looks clean. So I have a sharp/bright/bug-filled image and a sharp/shaded/looks-clean image.

The plan was to go through 129 only once, but I messed up on my map reading, booked a hotel in Knoxville, and then realized that the best way back to the hotel I'd just booked was to turn around and go back through The Dragon again.. at dusk. The road sure was a lot quieter as it was getting close to sunset!

The following day I rode the Cherohala Skyway... in the rain... in 42-degree weather. That was less fun, but still a good day.
Yea our option was to take 75 to 411 to 129 and ride through the Dragon going in and coming home..or ride thru the Natl Park,/Gatlinburg. So we ended up riding the Dragon 3 times because it was also the way to get to the Foothills Parkway.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 06:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

If itís your first Gap photo then #2 and as mentioned, photoshop the other stuff in the background. If it is not your first good one then #7 is my choice as I love the other bikes all going through there with you as you get a feel for ride. Just got back from there and have so many past photos that look like #1 I would be buying #7 for sure as itís a great perspective.
the Ferret likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridgerider View Post
If itís your first Gap photo then #2 and as mentioned, photoshop the other stuff in the background. If it is not your first good one then #7 is my choice as I love the other bikes all going through there with you as you get a feel for ride. Just got back from there and have so many past photos that look like #1 I would be buying #7 for sure as itís a great perspective.

Definitly not my first..I have photos from there going back to 2009 on several different bikes lol

How was your trip to Ohio?

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 11:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

Ferret if you are getting 2 pictures then (unfortunately only these two are "half decent"):
2. 129Slayer.com
7. Killboy.com #3

Considering that these (Photo) guys are there to make some money, it's disappointing how poor quality of the pictures they provide, none of the pictures are a good representation of "bike in motion", instead they are just "bikes frozen in time" (with poor exposures and with no background and wheel spokes blur, to indicate some motion).
I would suggest next time get your friends to take some pictures of you by simply using smartphones or cameras, I can guarantee you the pictures will be far better (and cheaper)

below are three examples of how "bike in motion" should be captured

P.S. sorry didn't mean to spoil the "picture selection process" for you, I am sure the trip was awesome and the pictures will serve the purpose in your collection :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ferret side view.jpg (157.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Ferret front view.jpg (88.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg bike action 2.jpg (140.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg bike action 1.jpg (133.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg bike action 3.jpg (122.3 KB, 7 views)
the Ferret likes this.

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT

Last edited by Damir; 10-08-2020 at 11:31 PM.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 04:33 AM
Training wheels fitted!

2 then 8
the Ferret likes this.

Robert Donahue
San Jose, Ca
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 11:38 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Dragon's a great ride but I don't like the quality of those pics soooooo LET'S DO IT AGAIN---YEA!!! (for better pics of course)

!!KEEP IT VERTICAL!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Current Rides: '16 FJR-A/'14 VStar 1300 Tourer /
Past Rides: '64 Bultaco 125 / '69 Honda Dream 305 / '73 Honda 450 / '74 Honda 500-4 / '78 Suzuki 750(Water Buffalo) / '82 Yamaha Seca 750 / '86 Yamaha Virago 900 / '94 Honda Nighthawk 750 / '06 FJR-A / '12 VStar 950 /
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 11:38 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Definitly not my first..I have photos from there going back to 2009 on several different bikes lol

How was your trip to Ohio?
Hello Ferret! I hope life is treating you well. Unfortunately we never got up to Ohio this time. We did take a fantastic trip over 2000 miles and 6 states. I am really looking forward to getting up that way sometime soon and appreciate all your help with all the roads and places to see when I do make it. Thanks again!
the Ferret likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 03:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

Definitely #5.

All the others that are properly lit have distracting stuff and/or other riders in the background (and I don't like #3's background as much as the similar #5).
the Ferret likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 03:47 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

It takes practice to use a slow shutter speed 1/60th or 1/125th of a sec., and get the bike crisp. You must pan perfectly with the bike. Some lenses that have image stabilization will have a setting for stabilization during panning. I got a lot of practice panning at the Rolex 24 IMSA race in Daytona. You will have a lot of misses, but the ones that you do right are really good shots with a crisp, sharp image of the car or bike, with nice background blur and wheel blur. Really empasizes the speed of the vehicle.
Damir likes this.

I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest, I just wasted!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page