Great timing!! - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 09:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yepper, the last year I worked I had gone to lunch to a restaurant along Lake Michigan on my 76 Wing and on the way back I had a red tail hawk fly up out of the ditch and flew between the plexifairing and my helmet visor with its wings hitting me on top of my helmet, thankfully we both survived unharmed past a few fright stains.

I think if you ride enough itís bound to happen, the worst I remember was on a ride many years ago with a group of friends, I was on my 75 Honda 750 super spirt with the wife on the back, I was behind and left if my brother and his wife on his super glide when a cardinal (I think ) bounced off his lh mirror and pin wheeled into me hitting me squarely in the family jewels at about 65mph, I looked down and saw a bloody mess of feathers in my crotch and instinctively stood up (big mistake, didnít think) and the mess slid back into my wifeís lap causing a big calamity of her wanting to get off at about 65mph vs me trying to stop. This incident is part of the reason my wife no longer rides, funny now though.

But as said I think if you ride enough itís bound to happen & hopefully itís only a suicidal squirrel or just a small bird, I think it was our own N4 here that had a video of a deer literally jumping over the nose of his fjr, I mustíve watched it a 100 times just shaking my head and glad he wasnít hurt.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 10:07 AM
Farkle Trainee

I've hit more than one bird, and one was a very big one. No harm done to me, but I don't think he survived. I fear dear more than I fear other drivers. I'm always nervous running roads with a lot of trees near the road this time of year when we start to get cool mornings.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 06:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The day I hit the aforementioned buzzard was a two-fer day. About 3 miles down the road a tweety bird flew into my front wheel and splattered into the radiator. What a friggin mess that was!

My funnest one was a bee /wasp. I felt it slip past my collar and down my back. By the time I could get off the road it was having a party biting and stinging right at the top of my butt crack. Luckily there was a little country store so I whipped in, slid to a stop and ran around to the back of a dump truck there. In just a moment one of the guys I didn't notice that was sitting on a running board came around just in time to see my pants down around my ankles and me digging for gold in my crack. Perfectly seriously I looked him dead in the eye and said, "bee." He nodded and went back around.

We all had us a fine laugh when I finally got dressed again.
maximrebel, passx and sgkramar like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 11:50 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Anyone who rides sooner or later will have a close encounter. Mine occurred several years ago on an afternoon ride. On my return home I was riding west as the sun was setting. It was at an angle where I couldn't block it with the brow of my helmet, and the sun glasses weren't up to the task. I was on a secondary rural road, and had slowed due to the poor visibility when I saw a brown flash in front of me. Instinctively my head turned in the direction of movement, just in time to see two deer jumping into the ditch. Miraculously I had threaded the needle between the two, that weren't much farther apart than the length of my bike. That was a +9 on the butt pucker chart!
Boomer59
passx likes this.

~Yeah, I'm a Boomer. You got a problem with that?!~

2007 FJR AE QuickSilver "The Quickest Color"
1999 XL1200 Sportster "Heritage Custom"
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 "the cow-Wee!" (sold)
1973 Yamaha RD350 "SMOKE'N!" (sold)
1970 MGB "the Wondermobile" Wonder if it'll start? Wonder if it'll stop? Wonder if it'll get me home?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 02:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
My funnest one was a bee /wasp. I felt it slip past my collar and down my back. By the time I could get off the road it was having a party biting and stinging right at the top of my butt crack. Luckily there was a little country store so I whipped in, slid to a stop and ran around to the back of a dump truck there. In just a moment one of the guys I didn't notice that was sitting on a running board came around just in time to see my pants down around my ankles and me digging for gold in my crack. Perfectly seriously I looked him dead in the eye and said, "bee." He nodded and went back around.

We all had us a fine laugh when I finally got dressed again.
LMAO

I've come close to hitting some but so far only with cars. Though I thought my friend was going to bite it one time when a huge bird threatened to fly away with him and his Goldwing. LOL

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)

Last edited by maximrebel; 09-23-2020 at 02:08 AM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 08:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer59 View Post
Anyone who rides sooner or later will have a close encounter. Mine occurred several years ago on an afternoon ride. On my return home I was riding west as the sun was setting. It was at an angle where I couldn't block it with the brow of my helmet, and the sun glasses weren't up to the task. I was on a secondary rural road, and had slowed due to the poor visibility when I saw a brown flash in front of me. Instinctively my head turned in the direction of movement, just in time to see two deer jumping into the ditch. Miraculously I had threaded the needle between the two, that weren't much farther apart than the length of my bike. That was a +9 on the butt pucker chart!
Boomer59
I've done that! Coulda slapped one on the rump and the other on the head when I went between them. Thought I was gonna have to tie a rope to a tree and get a good running start to yank the seat out of my azz.

Also- get some really good, stretchy electrical tape. I use Scotch 33+ exclusively. Nothing else works as well. Starting at the top of your visor run a strip from one side across the top to the other side. Repeat with a 2nd, 3rd, etc. strip making sure to overlap just a little. Voila! Instant sun visor. For me 3 is the magic number if crack the visor open 1 click.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200923_080742076.jpg (106.9 KB, 8 views)
Joey and Boomer59 like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbentnail; 09-23-2020 at 03:47 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 09:09 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

While I've barely missed my share of deer, back in my GWRRA days the ride lead scared up our umpteenth turkey buzzed from a mid-road, roadkill supper. The difference this time was that it apparently wasn't getting the lift it thought it needed so it "dropped ballast" as it passed over the lead. I was about 3 bikes back and watched as it happened. YUCK that stunk.
passx likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

Last edited by bounce; 09-24-2020 at 10:17 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 12:56 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

In Nevada, on my way to Ely at a good rate of knots.

Came over a rise and there was an eagle in my lane dining on fresh road kill.

He levitated as I clapped on the binders.

Cleared my helmet by about 12 inches.

My, but that was interesting!
bounce likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 05:13 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Speaking of stinky birds many years ago the first spring we lived out here in the country and there was literally just us and the farmer up the road, anyway going to work in the morning for the first time on my 76wing I noticed a group of very large turkey vultures dining on something in the field up the road and as I approached, one by one they took off flying across the road, well the very last one must have eaten to much and was not gaining any altitude, I was hard on the brakes and it flew just in front of me, I didnít hit him but I could certainly smell him and he really stunk and I have a fairly diminished sense of smell. Certainly glad I didnít hit him because I would have probably had to scrap my wing because of the smell.......
bounce likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page