Trip during Covid - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Trip during Covid

Hello to all,

I am getting ready to head out solo on Sept. 10th for about 3,500 miles. I live in central Illinois. Will be headed for Monument Valley and Bryce Canyon, going thru Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, maybe Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado and back. I have made this same trip a few times, but with the Covid crap, wondered if anyone has any experiences recently and if I will run into any issues. I will be staying in motels along the way, but am not booking them. Will seek out at the end of the day. Pictures are from former trips a few years back.

Thanks.......!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140820_102530.jpg (376.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20140821_124719-3.jpg (183.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P8202152.jpg (201.0 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Spousal Unit and I were in Colorado last week (13-19 August). Hot as **** (around 100 f. everyday), smokey from some large fires and clogged with tourists pulling RVs trying to find a way around the I-70 fire related closure. Check on the status of fires along your route. We leave for Utah on 9 September; temperatures are supposed fo be more tolerable.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 11:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

This past weekend I traveled from the east side of Colo. to the west side, and back. It is possible that I-70 will be reopened by the time you travel, but the fires will still be going, there are 4 large fires in Colo. at this time mostly north of I-70, unless the state starts getting rain, and or snow, the fires will NOT be out. So if and when you travel through Colo., plan to skip I-70 and even plan to skip Hwy 50, and instead either take Hwy. 160 way down south, or go up north to I-80 through WY.
I took Hwy 160 over when I went and brought Hwy. 50 back and the traffic wasn't bad. BUT I traveled early morning on Hwy 50 to miss most of the traffic as I had first hand reports of very heavy and slow traffic from others guys that had traveled Hwy 50 mid day.
Shouldn't have any troubles with eating or motels. Just bring a mask to keep the mask Nazis off your back when you enter "public" places.

1987 Yamaha Venture to 88,256 miles...crashed
2009 FJR 38500 miles and counting
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 11:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

Why, I would like to know, would anybody want to travel anywhere especially now? I mean why beat yourself to death in heat, smoke, and packed roads?? To do what, be miserable as **** that's what!

I live on the central Oregon coast and hwy101 is just packed with idiots in motor homes with more idiots driving like fools. This last weekend the north coast (Lincoln City to Astoria) the roads were at a standstill with campgrounds and motels completely full and trash literally all over the place. On the Olympic Peninsula in WA the USFS (forest circus) had to close Lake Cushman for the rest of the season because it was overrun with 6 mile long traffic jams on gravel roads. Now tell me...what the blue blazes is fun in this environment.

The more I think about it the more I'm about ready to give up motorcycling all together. The last time I enjoyed a bike ride was in April during the shut down.

Oh yeah while I think of it the mindless fools are trashing Crater Lake of all places. The Park Service is short handed and overwhelmed. People (idiots) are even hiking down to the lake with personal water craft and even allowing their dogs to swim in the lake which risks contamination of the the lake which would be a tragedy as anyone who has been there would know.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape

Last edited by JamesW; 08-24-2020 at 11:41 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 12:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

A little addendum to my above post, I-70 through Glenwood canyon has, as of today, been re-opened.

1987 Yamaha Venture to 88,256 miles...crashed
2009 FJR 38500 miles and counting
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRnCO View Post
This past weekend I traveled from the east side of Colo. to the west side, and back. It is possible that I-70 will be reopened by the time you travel, but the fires will still be going, there are 4 large fires in Colo. at this time mostly north of I-70, unless the state starts getting rain, and or snow, the fires will NOT be out. So if and when you travel through Colo., plan to skip I-70 and even plan to skip Hwy 50, and instead either take Hwy. 160 way down south, or go up north to I-80 through WY.
I took Hwy 160 over when I went and brought Hwy. 50 back and the traffic wasn't bad. BUT I traveled early morning on Hwy 50 to miss most of the traffic as I had first hand reports of very heavy and slow traffic from others guys that had traveled Hwy 50 mid day.
Shouldn't have any troubles with eating or motels. Just bring a mask to keep the mask Nazis off your back when you enter "public" places.
Thanks for the feedback TRnCO! I am not leaving till around the 10th of Sept., so hopefully things will be better at that time. With that said I was not going to be on 70 much at all, maybe a little in western CO. and eastern UT a bit. I have ridden 50 quite often so kind of familiar with it, if nothing else I can buzz down to US 64 which I have rode quite a few times. I will have PPE with me. Again Thanks!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
Why, I would like to know, would anybody want to travel anywhere especially now? I mean why beat yourself to death in heat, smoke, and packed roads?? To do what, be miserable as **** that's what!

I live on the central Oregon coast and hwy101 is just packed with idiots in motor homes with more idiots driving like fools. This last weekend the north coast (Lincoln City to Astoria) the roads were at a standstill with campgrounds and motels completely full and trash literally all over the place. On the Olympic Peninsula in WA the USFS (forest circus) had to close Lake Cushman for the rest of the season because it was overrun with 6 mile long traffic jams on gravel roads. Now tell me...what the blue blazes is fun in this environment.

The more I think about it the more I'm about ready to give up motorcycling all together. The last time I enjoyed a bike ride was in April during the shut down.

Oh yeah while I think of it the mindless fools are trashing Crater Lake of all places. The Park Service is short handed and overwhelmed. People (idiots) are even hiking down to the lake with personal water craft and even allowing their dogs to swim in the lake which risks contamination of the the lake which would be a tragedy as anyone who has been there would know.
Thanks for the feedback JamesW. I will not be leaving till around 9/10, so things may calm down a little. I have rode about 30,000 miles on roads I am planning on taking this same time. I know this is a different world now, but I have never, ever had traffic issues, unless you are in the Durango area or the Ski towns. I have been up in Oregon and Washington and traffic is ridiculous. That is too bad about Crater Lake, have traveled to over 45 states and 7 countries and that is one of the most beautiful places. I am one to get off the normal path, taking most always 2 lane roads. I am getting up in my age and with that comes more and more aches and pains. Not sure how many more trips every 2 years I can go. So, will make the best of it.
nunia720 likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 06:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
I fear the entire mountain west will be cloaked in smoke for the remainder of the summer and early fall. We live in the Rockies in Montana and today the smoke has become much denser than in the past few days. Likely coming from California and other points west.
2mountains likes this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 06:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I stay WAYYYY off the interstates, but I've been riding everywhere during the 'rona. I was all over CA at the peak of it and had a great time.

Yes, I have a nasty, dirty mask in my pocket for when I go into places... and if you like touristy things, you may encounter some closed restaurants and stuff.

I was in CO a month ago and crowded places were still crowded, empty places were still empty. I generally ride on roads where people aren't though. Low tolerance for SUVs and RVs.

Be sure to stop in St. Louis if you need anything.
2mountains and Burque73 like this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page