Trip during Covid - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 06:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
Why, I would like to know, would anybody want to travel anywhere especially now? I mean why beat yourself to death in heat, smoke, and packed roads?? To do what, be miserable as **** that's what!

I live on the central Oregon coast and hwy101 is just packed with idiots in motor homes with more idiots driving like fools. This last weekend the north coast (Lincoln City to Astoria) the roads were at a standstill with campgrounds and motels completely full and trash literally all over the place. On the Olympic Peninsula in WA the USFS (forest circus) had to close Lake Cushman for the rest of the season because it was overrun with 6 mile long traffic jams on gravel roads. Now tell me...what the blue blazes is fun in this environment.

The more I think about it the more I'm about ready to give up motorcycling all together. The last time I enjoyed a bike ride was in April during the shut down.

Oh yeah while I think of it the mindless fools are trashing Crater Lake of all places. The Park Service is short handed and overwhelmed. People (idiots) are even hiking down to the lake with personal water craft and even allowing their dogs to swim in the lake which risks contamination of the the lake which would be a tragedy as anyone who has been there would know.
Spouse and I rode from Seattle to Crater Lake two weeks ago, and I was very surprised to see almost no traffic at all - even inside Crater Lake NP. It was a really nice time with cool weather and nice twisty roads. We did see a rescue for some idiot who tried to go down into the crater. On the way back we took the Oregon coast up to Lincoln City and there was some traffic, but not bad at all. Due to time constraints we did I-5 back to Seattle, which is boring.

I think it's a matter of finding the right roads - don't pick the popular routes, but find those nice twisty back roads...
2mountains likes this.

2016 ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 06:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenk View Post
Spouse and I rode from Seattle to Crater Lake two weeks ago, and I was very surprised to see almost no traffic at all - even inside Crater Lake NP. It was a really nice time with cool weather and nice twisty roads. We did see a rescue for some idiot who tried to go down into the crater. On the way back we took the Oregon coast up to Lincoln City and there was some traffic, but not bad at all. Due to time constraints we did I-5 back to Seattle, which is boring.

I think it's a matter of finding the right roads - don't pick the popular routes, but find those nice twisty back roads...
I see you live in the Seattle area which maybe explains why you might think parts of Oregon are relatively uncrowded. Anyway, I'm feeling a bit better now and thanks guys for your kind replies. Going to wait until after Labor Day and give it a shot. Going to take the Diamond lake HWY inland to US97 and points east as in John Day country then up into the Wallowa Mountain country. We used to live up in that neck of the woods and I wish we still did. Doesn't get any better, imo.
2mountains likes this.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:54 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I just rode through a lot of that area last week. Hotels were hard to get in some places. I only came acrossed one motel 6 in I think Idaho that was closed for covid reasons, otherwise a bunch of them were just full. Utah and Wyoming had occupant limits in gas stations and nearly every restaurant has carry out only or very limited seating. One exception was Las Vegas. In fact, Nevada had the least amount of restrictions from what I noticed. The stretch of Colorado I rode through, North to South was a bit smoky, but still a blast to ride through.

Like Liquidsilver, I was way off of interstates. It seems odd that 85-90 mph is a relaxing ride on back highways, but on the interstate traveling the same speed is more work. Turbulence from trucks and motorhomes make it unenjoyable I guess.
2mountains likes this.

Roger

2003 FJR1300A
1983 GS850G

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 12:13 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
During My recent trip to South Dakota from Wisconsin the only things I encountered have been mentioned. Some gas stations limit the amount of customers inside, masks necessary in 98% of businesses, restaurants are mostly take-out or drive thru only. Some Motels were booked but if we started checking early enough before dark we would just keep going to next little town and get one there. Typically cheaper anyways. Enjoy the trip and the road!! To me this is one of the better times to get out and enjoy Motorcycling!! Pick your roads and have a great/safe time. Certainly helped me clear my head and get away from that trapped by Winter feeling in Wisconsin I had since this whole Covid nightmare.
2mountains likes this.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page