First tour on First Gen - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 06:22 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for your story. I am getting ready to head out in a couple of weeks, Illinois to Monument Valley, but not in the heat. Have been there before.....Awesome. A few years back I was riding thru Kansas, was 102 degrees. I got way overheated, heat exhaustion. It has ruined me for being out in the heat ever since. I recently met a person who has had the same situation all her life and cannot be out in the heat over about 90 degrees as she will pass out. Just a caution for everyone. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Roger, thanks for the added installment ! One thing I would suggest although I don’t believe anyone here has done it, is to ceramic coat the head pipes both inside & out. This will keep most of the heat in the pipes and exhaust it out the back instead of into the fairing. I have not done this on my own fjr (2014a) but I have done it on several bikes and hot rod cars, it really reduces the heat. Just an idea.
Burque73 likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Crossing the border into Idaho I had to start thinking about where to get some sleep that night and how to get back to New Mexico. Twin falls wasn't too far away, but I stil had plenty of daylight. I headed East along the Snake river into American Falls, but I couldn't find a motel. Every one I called or went to was full up for the night. 12 hours on the road now and I'm pooped. Looking down the road on the map I started searching in Pocatello, found a Motel 6 and made a reservation, then blasted another hour and a half down the interstate.

This motel was a bit sketchy with rough looking folks hanging around outside the rooms and the parking lot. I packed the saddle bags, trunk and tank bag up to the room. Dinner that night was more provisions I carried along with me. A pack of tuna fish with some multigrain crackers and an apple sauce cup. Yum....sort of, but I wasn't hungry anymore. I was really uneasy about leaving the bike out in that parking lot so I constantly checked on it. It eventually quieted down out there and I actually got some sleep.

Up again before sunrise, but not moving too fast. i got some takeout from Burger King and looked over the mape to plan today's ride. I had never set foot in Wyoming either so what the heck. In fact, Yellowstone was not too far away so I headed in that direction.

At that point, I'd have two manageable days of riding to get home by Wednesday afternoon. That part of Idaho was nice and green. Mostly farm land and lots of manure. It took a long time to get that smell out of my helmet. Still trying to avoid interstate travel as much as possible I rode through several small towns and enjoyed the ride. Passing through Idaho Falls and Swan Valley, I started to get into the mountains. I was so glad to be away from the intense heat of Nevada and thoroughly enjoyed the mountain air.

As I approached Jackson Hole, Wyoming the traffic started to get pretty heavy. With license plates from all over the country, these were no doubt tourists heading to Yellowstone and the Grand Teton National Park. Man, this place was crowded! In Jackson Hole, I passed by a huge stack of elk antlers and stopped to take a pic. As I waited for my turn, folks came up and took selfies. They handed their cameras to each other for different shots not noticing that I was waiting for my chance to snap a pic. Finally, I got to get a shot. A lady asked if she could take a pic for me which was pretty nice I thought. It still got photo-bombed by a couple of people, but that's kind of funny I thiink.

As I followed the caravan of motorhomes and crossovers loaded with hikers, I started to rethink my route. Yellowstone would have to wait for another day or I may not get back home until Friday, I thought. Grand Teton National Park was still breathtaking. I was suprised to see snow on the peaks still, especially when just yesterday I was roasting in Nevada.

Finally, I just plugged Albuquerque into the GPS and checked the "avoid highways" box to head toward home. Mostly in that direction anyways. I meandered around Wyoming most of the day. Some gas stations were limiting access to their store. Customers had a path to the register and had to tell the attendant what they wanted from the fridge or munchie shelf. Covid knows no borders. Every podunk town everywhere is affected by this thing. If only Vegas and other large cities took such measures, maybe we could have kept it at bay, but I digress.

Stopping under a shade tree, which was getting harder to find, I had another handfull of jerky and a cliff bar. Whashing it down with a big bottle of water I looked over the map and thought about where to spend the night. I'd like to be setup to ride some nice mountain roads tomorrow, I thought. Steamboat Springs is nice, maybe I'll stay there. Looking into it I was taken back by the cost of rooms there. Reeeeally wishing I had my camping gear now! I settled on a tiny place called Kremmling, CO, not too far from Steamboat Springs. It got dark before I reached the town and I couldn't find anywhere to grab a bite to eat. Yep, another cliff bar, jerky, fruit cup and I was rolling again. It's a good thing I grabbed a one pound bag of jerky from Costco and two boxes of cliff bars. One saddle bag had nothing but food and water in it.

I passed by a mom and pop mercantile store and pulled in for a few provisions. Seeing fresh produce I was like a kid in a candy store. All that jerky has not been kind to my system. I realized after checking out I had a bit more to carry than I'd planned. Fortunately the motel was a block away. Come to think of it, in this timy town, everything was a block away.

Crap, too much to write about and I still have one more day. I may be talking to myself at this point. Here are a couple more photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200818_110318.jpg (445.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20200818_114046.jpg (458.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20200818_185730.jpg (370.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20200818_190301.jpg (223.5 KB, 6 views)
Versatek6 likes this.

Roger

2003 FJR1300A
1983 GS850G

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mountains View Post
Thanks for your story. I am getting ready to head out in a couple of weeks, Illinois to Monument Valley, but not in the heat. Have been there before.....Awesome. A few years back I was riding thru Kansas, was 102 degrees. I got way overheated, heat exhaustion. It has ruined me for being out in the heat ever since. I recently met a person who has had the same situation all her life and cannot be out in the heat over about 90 degrees as she will pass out. Just a caution for everyone. Thanks again.
It's not just the heat that got you, the humidity in Kansas is a lot higher than the Western states so sweat doesn't evaorate and you overheat. Take a look at the average humidity by state here. NM, UT, AZ and NV are quite a bit lower than KS.

Being hot doesn't bother me as much as being cold. I have tremors which are not really noticable unless I'm cold enough to shiver. I'm looking forward to the extra heat from this bike in the winter. Between removing the insulation under the tank and heated grips, I should be comfy riding year round.

Roger

2003 FJR1300A
1983 GS850G
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Guess I'll just mention the last 500 miles of this trip were as uneventful as the previous 2,000. No rain, great scenery and smiles for miles! I came into New Mexico on 285 and caught 64 which crosses over the Rio Grande Gorge. I had a minute to take a pic on the bridge since traffic was so light, but just missed the center. Maybe I'll try again sometime. A friend from Louisiana was in Taos, so I stopped to visit for a while there. Made it home by dinnertime.

I'll attach a map of the route I took going through seven states. It's fun trying to see how many state welcome signs I can get. Unfortunately I didn't get Nevada. Guess I'll have to go back, maybe when it cools down a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200819_143831.jpg (364.9 KB, 5 views)
the Ferret likes this.

Roger

2003 FJR1300A
1983 GS850G
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Forgot the map...
Attached Images
File Type: png Vegas trip Aug 2020.PNG (259.4 KB, 6 views)

Roger

2003 FJR1300A
1983 GS850G
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 08:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If the insulation under the tank is a foil type glued to the bottom of the tank, leave it there to prevent fuel from overheating in summer. It's not blocking any heat from getting to you. Those rubber pieces either side might be....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
If the insulation under the tank is a foil type glued to the bottom of the tank, leave it there to prevent fuel from overheating in summer. It's not blocking any heat from getting to you. Those rubber pieces either side might be....
Thank you for mentioning that, but I was just refering to the foil covered bubble wrap type blanket I installed.

Roger

2003 FJR1300A
1983 GS850G
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 11:16 AM
Farkle Trainee

Great ride report 👍 and it sounds like you had a good time! 2354 total miles, Bedford Indiana is only a few more miles 2572. 🙂

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page